How Do I Keep Ribbon On Cake From Getting Greasy?

Decorating By kikster Updated 9 Aug 2009 , 6:33pm by dawncr

kikster Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 5:19pm
post #1 of 2

How do you guys accomplish this? The only time I put ribbon on buttercream grease soaked through and it looked spotty. After an hour or so, it was evenly covered, so you couldn't really tell, but I am curious how people avoid this issue...

1 reply
dawncr Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 6:33pm
post #2 of 2

Hi Kikster,

You've asked the million dollar question! Lots of people have problems with this and have tried a variety of techniques. The most common are:

--Brush the back with crisco before putting it on the cake. Although the color will be darker, it won't be spotty.
--Back the ribbon with wax paper cut to size. Some iron the wax paper to the back of the ribbon.
--Back the ribbon with clear packing tape cut to size. Adhere the tape to the back of the ribbon. Some concerns about food safety of tape?
--Make a fondant 'ribbon' and use it instead of a cloth one.

To see how many people have that problem, go to the "search" function at the top left of the page. It's the small white word furthest left on the purple 'line'. When the boxes appear, enter "ribbon grease" (without quotes) and click on the box below that says ALL terms required.

Voila!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%