Sugar Shaper And Discs Gun

Decorating By Yankie Updated 10 Aug 2009 , 9:58pm by Yankie

Yankie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yankie Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 5:11pm
post #1 of 21

THe sugar shaper and discs gun is basically to make strings of fondant evenly.

Does anyone owns one of these, is it worth getting one of these.

Thanks

20 replies
Yankie Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 5:49am
post #2 of 21

Anyone out there has this sugar shaper? I want to purchase it, but I want to make sure that is worth it.

thank you

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 7:26am
post #3 of 21

I have it. I hate it. I never use it.

I find that I need to add too much crisco/white fat to the fondant in order to push is thru. I find the barrel too small, so what I get out of it isn't enough for many purposes.

I prefer my Makins Ultimitate Extruder (light green metallic "T" handle). You can google it to find out where it's available. It also comes with many discs, has a longer barrel, and was half the price of the other one.

HTH
Rae

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 7:44am
post #4 of 21

I have the Makins one too and it's great.

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 9:57am
post #5 of 21

Has anyone used that red one, I think the name is something like Sugarcraft Gun? I looked at it and the Makins, and thought I might like the red one better because it's used one-handed. One of the Zambito DVD shows using the gun with one hand while placing the rope of fondant with the other as it falls from the gun.

Anyone with any experience with this product?

grandmom Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 9:59am
post #6 of 21

I don't understand the blocking of certain brand names and not others. For instance, my prior post blocked the name of the red gun, but allows the name of the Makin extruder.

Can anyone explain the policy on this, please?

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 3:04pm
post #7 of 21

I have the makin's and I love it... I have tried the s u g a r c r @ f t gun (with the red handle) and did not like it AT ALL... the makins is much easier to use.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 3:24pm
post #8 of 21

I am a green T Makins fan here too - LOVE it.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 3:33pm
post #9 of 21

So I'd never heard of this product and went out online to see what I can find and found it's a "clay" extruder? Is this the same product?

grandmom Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 3:40pm
post #10 of 21

Well, looks like you guys just saved me from myself! I'll get a Makins instead of the red one then, and it costs so much less.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 3:48pm
post #11 of 21

I never heard of any of this, but am very interested. As a beginner, and with one I found at a very low price, would it be worth it for me to try the plastic version of the Makin's Extruder?

Yankie Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 4:02pm
post #12 of 21

Anyone out there has this sugar shaper? I want to purchase it, but I want to make sure that is worth it.

thank you

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 5:02pm
post #13 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cownsj

I never heard of any of this, but am very interested. As a beginner, and with one I found at a very low price, would it be worth it for me to try the plastic version of the Makin's Extruder?

The plastic one (syringe style) is horrible... your hands will hate you and you will curse the day you ever tried using it... save yourself the headache and spend a few extra bucks ont he "t" style, screw-drive type makin's clay extruder... it's worth every penny, and more and it's virtually effortless to use.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 5:22pm
post #14 of 21

I have the red sugar - gun and love it. I use it all the time. You need to soften the fondant a little so that it will flow out of the press easily. It comes with 16 discs. I know alot of people prefer the green Makins gun, and I've never tried it so it's hard for me to compare, but I think I would like squeezing the trigger on my red gun better than having to turn the handle on the green one. It is great for small jobs. I got a hugh clay gun for Christmas and I mean hugh! Unfortunately I don't do many big cakes and haven't had a need to use it yet.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 6:05pm
post #15 of 21

Thanks for the warning on the plastic one. They have one of ebay that's very inexpensive. But if I will end up not using it, then it's not bargain anyway.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 7:49pm
post #16 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

I find that I need to add too much crisco/white fat to the fondant in order to push is thru. I find the barrel too small, so what I get out of it isn't enough for many purposes.

I prefer my Makins Ultimitate Extruder (light green metallic "T" handle). You can google it to find out where it's available. It also comes with many discs, has a longer barrel, and was half the price of the other one.

HTH
Rae

SugarShaper, Su Gar Craft Gun, the red & black one---no matter what it's called..........like I said last night:

Rae

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 8:23pm
post #17 of 21

Price, what HUGE extruder are you referring to?

As for the Makin I really like it & if you keep an eye out w/ Hobby Lobby, Michaels, or JoAnn's you can get a 40% off coupon. That's what I did! That definitely makes it worth it

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 8:30pm
post #18 of 21

I also have the sugar craft gun and it's ok for small jobs but if your hands are greasy it's hard to use. I ordered the really big one but I don't remember where I got it. If you pm jennifermi she can tell you where to order it.

cs_confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cs_confections Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 8:42pm
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelion56602

Price, what HUGE extruder are you referring to?

As for the Makin I really like it & if you keep an eye out w/ Hobby Lobby, Michaels, or JoAnn's you can get a 40% off coupon. That's what I did! That definitely makes it worth it

I did this and got it for about $10 at Hobby Lobby. I found it very easy to use...and I don't have strong hands. thumbs_up.gif

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 8:55pm
post #20 of 21

http://www.bigceramicstore.com/Supplies/ClayGuns.htm

As far as the little extruders, I think it's all in what you get used to. It would be nice if my red/black gun would hold more fondant. The first one I ever bought was one of the silver ones in the clay section at AC Moore. It was horrible. To work that one, you have to push a plunger and it kills your hands.

Yankie Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 9:58pm
post #21 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkZiab

Quote:
Originally Posted by cownsj

The plastic one (syringe style) is horrible... your hands will hate you and you will curse the day you ever tried using it... save yourself the headache and spend a few extra bucks ont he "t" style, screw-drive type makin's clay extruder... it's worth every penny, and more and it's virtually effortless to use.

Are you refering to the green one..the one you turn?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%