Help Me Cc'ers! Bride Not Happy!

Decorating By yeastconfection Updated 10 Aug 2009 , 4:08am by JoJo0855

yeastconfection Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 5:08pm
post #1 of 11

First of all- not legal - I know I expect to hear alot from people about that - I will just have to receive my CC punishment for that one (I decided 3 months ago I am quitting doing cakes - but this cake was booked a half year ago). O.k. - so I made a wedding cake for my brothers friend - servings 200 - cost $500.
It was super hot and humid yesterday-soooo hot! The cake was turning out great but I had one problem - It was going to be placed on a glass pedestal stand so I started to worry that it would break the stand because it was going to be so heavy - I called the bride and asked her if she minded that I made a smaller version of the cake decorated exactly the same and it would get some weight off of the main plate - she said she was fine with that and I told her I would throw in 30 complimentary servings on the smaller cake because of the issue. Well Saturday I go to deliver the cake (running late because I have to let the vehicle cool down before I transfer the cakes and the air conditioning was taking forever to cool down) I get there half an hour before the official start (although there are some guests walking around). The bottom cake on the larger cake starts having problems - tilting and even some air pockets forming under the fondant - I know the heat worked it's evil. I ask the mother of the bride if she didn't mind if the bottom tier got sent to the kitchen as a kitchen cake. She was fine with it. I set up the cakes and covered them with giant sugar flower Peonies (which I did not charge extra for - I charged $2.50 / serving flat). The style was white with black damask (the same as one of my pics except in reverse and round cakes). Anyways I get a heads up from my brother that the bride was angry with all the vendors last night and of course I was on that list.....so he says I may or may not get a call today....what should I give as my peace offering? I guess the guests were very happy about the taste - supposedly. Thanks guys.....

10 replies
Karema Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 6:05pm
post #2 of 11

Right now you have to play the waiting game. Wait to see what she says. See what compensation she wants. Hang in there!

LaBellaFlor Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 6:25pm
post #3 of 11

Nothing. Her mother approved of the changes you needed to make, got free flowers on her cake, she got a low cost cake, extra servings, and wanted a cake in the heat. Any bride that insist her cake is in the heat is asking for a problem I won't be responsible for. And really, it looks like she is trying to get money back from ALL the vendors, since your brother said she had a problem with everything. Get with the other vendors if you can and see what happens with them.

LaBellaFlor Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 6:27pm
post #4 of 11

Oh yeah, and they ate the cake. Like I said, NOTHING.

mommyle Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 6:31pm
post #5 of 11

Wait to see exactly what she complains about. If it is heat related (which all of your problems seemed to be in the end) then too bad for her. At that point it's a "natural disaster" clause. The glass plate that it was supposed to sit on is her problem, not yours. She did get a beautiful cake. She was able to take photos of the cake cutting. She had a yummy cake to feed the guests. The words "Get out of my kitchen!!!!" feel right at this point!

costumeczar Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 11:54pm
post #6 of 11

If you got approval on the changes that you had to make then you're fine. Wait to see if she calls and if she does, what she complains about, then decide if it's a legitimate complaint or not. If it's something that was okayed, it's not.

Also, if she was mad at ALL her vendors, don't take it personally, it sounds like you were one of a large crowd! icon_lol.gif

dawncr Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 12:51am
post #7 of 11

I'd say to try not to fret until she contacts you.

She may have been telling the bridal party her story about how stressful her day had been, and commenting on how something went wrong with every vendor. She may merely have been letting off some steam, and although the cake was not a big deal, it was just one more vendor to have some difficulty. Is it possible it was a woe-is-me vent and not an all-my-vendors-stink vent?

Hang in there. Sounds like you handled a tough situation well.

yeastconfection Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 3:37am
post #8 of 11

Thank you guys - I have been worried all day! But you guys definitely make me feel better.....She has not called today but I don't know if I'm off the hook yet...If she does call I will definitely let you know (& how much it cost me!). I so appreciate everyone's support - this is why I love CC! Maybe I will sleep good tonight! Again- Thanks!
Brooke

Doug Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 3:50am
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeastconfection

Anyways I get a heads up from my brother that the bride was angry with all the vendors last night and of course I was on that list.....so he says I may or may not get a call today....

hmmm....ALL the vendors.

was there alcohol flowing freely?

was she a bit OCD during the consultation?

spoiled? (tho' mom didn't sound the spoiling type?

---

it's the ALL the vendors line I find interesting -- as in NOTHING, not music, not photographer, not venue, not caterer, not cake, not...... pleased her???

sounds like there's a larger issue lurking there.

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 4:01am
post #10 of 11

Sounds like a bride trying to recoop her wedding money - money she probably shouldn't have spent in the first place. (Dream wedding, nightmare bride.)

If she can't prove there was an actual problem (tasted funny, fell over and it was your fault) and it matches her request - and her mother okay'ed the way you handled the problem - then she's got no grounds to stand on. As they say in Australia - No worries, mate!

JoJo0855 Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 4:08am
post #11 of 11

Some people just aren't happy unless they're miserable!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%