Freezing Cakes

Decorating By Ellen0602 Updated 9 Aug 2009 , 6:02pm by leah_s

Ellen0602 Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 3:48pm
post #1 of 4

Please Help!!!!! I have several cakes to do over the next few weeks and I work a full time job. Can I freeze the cakes? Should I frost them first or just crumb coat them? What about a fondant covered cake, does it do well after being frozen? How long will they last in the freezer? Whats the best way to thaw a frozen cake, at room temperature or in the fridge? Thanks to anyone who helps.

3 replies
kikster Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 4:59pm
post #2 of 4

Yes you can freeze them, tons of people do that, and if done right they come out moist and delicious. Wrap them very thoroughly in plastic wrap before they are totally cool. Make sure no air is caugt in there, and pop them in the freezer. I don't know how long they are good in there, but I would think at least 2 weeks to a month.

I always thaw mine at room temperature, pull them out the night before I want to ice the cakes. It may be that you can thaw them in the fridge too, never tried that before.

poohsmomma Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 5:05pm
post #3 of 4

I wrap mine really good in plastic wrap as soon as they are almost cool, then pop them in the freezer. I have never frozen a crumb coated or frosted cake, so I don't know if that is possible.

leah_s Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 6:02pm
post #4 of 4

AS an experiment, I froze a filled, but not crumb coated cake for 10 months. I served it to some girlfriends along side a fresh baked cake of the same flavor. No one, including me, could tell the difference.

I can't vouch for all flavors or recipes, and I do have a non-defrosting freezer. But a couple of weeks should be no problemo.

Quote by @%username% on %date%