Cupcake Ideas ?

Baking By BeeBoos-8599_ Updated 17 Aug 2009 , 1:32pm by auntiecake

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 2:50pm
post #1 of 12

Ok in a few weeks we are having our country fair. This year they have decided to hold our annual "Taste of Higginsville" at the same time. This is where all of the locals that have food based businesses get together and have a table to display and promote thier products. I think this year I will do cupcakes but I am having trouble comming up with the design I want to make. I thing I will do the Amazing Chocolate WASC cake (i have never done it in a cupcake so I hope it bakes up ok). Any suggestions on doing a really unique look on them. I know there will be at least 2 other cake people there so I dont want to do a plain swirl on them.
Some of my thoughts were...
filling them like ding dongs
dipping the tops in poured fondant (have never done and would need tips)
fancy fondant cut out tops (afraid they will be more difficult to eat)
Somehow working the fait theme into them (have to find out what it is and this may take more time than I will have at that point)

Any input would be great! TIA

11 replies
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 10:09pm
post #2 of 12

Bummer I thought I would get at least one or two thoughts. icon_sad.gif

auntiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecake Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 10:40pm
post #3 of 12

How about filling them w/strawberry or chocolate mousse and putting a chocolate covered strawberry on top of swirled frosting. Lemon w/lemon filling and lemon peel on top. Mint choc w/ ding dong filling and mint frosting swirled and mint chips on top, etc.
Fondant flowers on top would be pretty in pastels or autumn depending when your event is.

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 10:42pm
post #4 of 12

good ideas thanks for the input!

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 8:54pm
post #5 of 12

Ok, I just found out that the theme of the fair (we try to keep the food products related to the theme if possible) is "Come home to the simple life" and no it is not the mentally simple life although sometimes it feels like it. Anyway, This is throwing me because not I am not sure if I should go with an old fashioned cake recipe or the chocolate wasc I was planning. Also, I am not sure how they should be decorated. Any thoughts?

auntiecake Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 2:20am
post #6 of 12

How about yellow butter cake, w/ding dong filling and fudge frosting. You could decorate w/ sprinkles that have been popular for years! Chocolate cake w/fudge filling and white buttercream on top/strawberry on top. Carrot cake, cream cheese frosting, chocolate cake w/ peanut butter frosting etc are old favorites. Simple w/ no fondant just decorate w/ sprinkles, colored sugar, chips and things we have used for years. Maybe someone will be more creative with their response! Packaging could add extra bling to the cupcakes! Hope this helps!

CupCake_Caitlin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupCake_Caitlin Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 12:21am
post #7 of 12

OOooh, Yum Yum, they all sound good!
Me, when I decorate my cupcakes its just a bit of running icing poored over and dipped in sprinkles... icon_biggrin.gif

But when i want a little more better displayed, I go green icing base, with white melted chocolted with red/pink colouring. I pipe out some flower shapes then wait till they dry and stick on...

see I'm the simple one... haha!! most of my cupcakes are devoured by my partner or young children, so the mums oooh and arrrh at the deco. and with in seconds their gone... leaving the children with green covered faces... icon_biggrin.gif

I think everyone has great ideas, so its just a matter of choosing one!!! Have FUN!!

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 5:28am
post #8 of 12

My best seller by far is a chocolate cupcake with a dual color big swirl- half chocolate, half vanilla. I think it reminds people of ice cream cones.

LittleBitsCupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleBitsCupcakes Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 9:41pm
post #9 of 12

How about a simple classic? yellow cake cupcake, white swirled sweet butter cream icing, multi colored sprinkles, and a cherry on top?

You can even get all crazy and start doing bright multi colored icings and getting those crazy blue, yellow, green etc... cherries.

Alicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alicakes Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 4:03am
post #10 of 12

Take a look at my cupcakes, I use several different styles. You might get an idea from them. Best Cuppies to You!

mannjc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mannjc Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 1:52pm
post #11 of 12

type in poured fondant on youtube. it demonstrates an awesome way to do cupcakes. tried it out yesterday and it was fun and simple and had perfect results

auntiecake Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 1:32pm
post #12 of 12

Did you see the cupcakes w/ the fondant bee and daisy on top here on CC. They sat on top of lime green colored icing. It reminded me of your Simple Life theme. They were really cute!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%