Leahs - Your Advice Rocks

Decorating By Echooo3 Updated 10 Aug 2009 , 9:50pm by wendy1273

Echooo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Echooo3 Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 2:29pm
post #1 of 11

Several weeks ago I had a question about buying a refrigerator just for my cakes, you save the money would be better spent on SPS and Agbay. Well, I've only done one 3-tiered cake and that week I went to my cake supply store and purchased the SPS for my next one.

Now, I am going to buy the Agbay. My question to you is should I go ahead now and get the 2-blade one? If I get the one with the single blade will I wish I had purchased the one with 2-blades?

Thank you for all of your help!!

10 replies
alidpayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alidpayne Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 2:50pm
post #2 of 11

I am not Leahs, but I can say from personal experience that I wish I had bought the 2 blade agbay. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my agbay, and I got the 1 blade model cause I don't do a lot of cakes, but now a year later I really, really want the two blade model, and will probably end up purchasing it eventually even though I already have the one blade. If I had it to do over I would have gotten the 2 blade the first time.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 3:04pm
post #3 of 11

Yeah, I struggled with that decision a lot. The Agbay IS a lot of $; and I'm cheap, err frugal. But now that I have the Delux/2 blade model I couldn't dream of not having it. Sure you can do a workaround with the single blade, but the two blade just makes my cake life so much easier. And it also makes my cakes level.

You're lucky that you have a local store that carries SPS. I have to ship it in. Of course, I buy it in big boxes. . .

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 4:01am
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by alidpayne

I am not Leahs, but I can say from personal experience that I wish I had bought the 2 blade agbay. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my agbay, and I got the 1 blade model cause I don't do a lot of cakes, but now a year later I really, really want the two blade model, and will probably end up purchasing it eventually even though I already have the one blade. If I had it to do over I would have gotten the 2 blade the first time.

Have you been to the Agbay site recently? They say there is now an attachment that you can purchase to make your single into a double for only $5 more than what you would have originally paid for the deluxe model. Did that make sense icon_confused.gif Anyway, check out the site!!

alidpayne Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 4:14am
post #5 of 11

Ok, so I checked out the site, and you are kinda right. The "NEW" model has the ability to add on a second blade. The model I have doesn't. SO, that really sucks. BUT, even if I had the upgradeable one the kit is $105. So, if you buy the single blade agbay and then buy the add on kit you are paying $5 more than if you bought the 2 blade in the first place... either way I am still SOL and will have to purchase a whole new unit if I want two blades. I will probably do that eventually, It would be totally worth it.

It does change my opinion of the OP's original question though. Since you can easily convert the unit to a two blade now, I would probably buy the single blade.

wendy1273 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendy1273 Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 4:23am
post #6 of 11

I bough one about a year ago and I never use it, I used it for the first month only.
I was really bad at cutting the cakes at first but now I just use a long knife and I don't need the agbay at all but I'm going to keep it because I'm thinking to open a shop hopefully next year and someone else can use it.

alidpayne Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 12:20pm
post #7 of 11

Wendy you are the first person that I have EVER met that owns one and doesn't jump up and down every time the even talk about it.

wendy1273 Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 3:37pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by alidpayne

Wendy you are the first person that I have EVER met that owns one and doesn't jump up and down every time the even talk about it.

I know I'm sorry,
When I bough mine it was the same way, everyone was so excited about it and I bough the one with two blades, I think that the time that takes to set up the hight and to clean it is too much and also if you don't have a commercial kitchen with big enough counter top the agbay is to long and you can't do the back and forth with it to cut the cakes, you have to do it from left to right instead.
I don't want to disappoint you but I wish I had used the money for something else.
I would suggest that you use the money to buy the fridge instead and buy a big knife and practice with it, you will get more skills and you will save time and money.

Wendy

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 5:09pm
post #9 of 11

I have the single blade Agbay and even though I don't do very many cakes, I find it invaluable. The precision and sharpness... just can't be matched with a long serrated knife or Wilton leveler. Cleanup only takes me a minute (do invest in the $6 cleaning tool, it's amazing). VERY highly recommended by me.

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 8:40pm
post #10 of 11

the single blade agbay is just fine, it has changed my caking life and made me confident enough to start doing wedding cakes. it is invaluable and i would tell anyone to beg borrow or steal to get one.

wendy1273 Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 9:50pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy24

the single blade agbay is just fine, it has changed my caking life and made me confident enough to start doing wedding cakes. it is invaluable and i would tell anyone to beg borrow or steal to get one.

LOL.... You are too funny, I respect everyones opinion, but my opinion is if you needs a fridge, that is more important than the agbay.
I also have the tool to clean it. I don't recommend the wilton one aether.

Maybe I can sell you mine, is brand new, I only used it a few times. lol

Good luck with your decision.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%