Best Scratch Recipe

Baking By sjbeatty8 Updated 9 Aug 2009 , 4:12pm by CakeandDazzle

sjbeatty8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjbeatty8 Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 12:19pm
post #1 of 4

I know this has been asked 100 times but when I search I find pages of scratch vs box.... so please help if you can.

Im looking for the best scratch cake recipe that can be easily changed to make different flavors (exp. add bananas, replace something w/ cocoa,etc). I would like to give a good scratch recipe a try, I typically use doctored cake mixes.

Thanks for your help.

3 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 1:02pm
post #2 of 4

duplicate post sorry.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 1:06pm
post #3 of 4

In the "general" forums there are 2 scratch bake-offs, one for yellow and one for chocolate cake. There is a lot of good feedback and info in those 2 threads. Check it out.

HTH

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-639593.html

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-633981.html

CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 4:12pm
post #4 of 4

this is what i use... i abuse it just like the wasc... swap milk and other things, for other things, lol to make different flavors, add things... but i dont use this for my chocolate recipe.... i think its better then the winner of the scratch off

White Cake
1 cup milk, room temperature
6 egg whites
1 tsp almond extract
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups cake flour
1 3/4 cups sugar
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter (6 oz), softened
1/4 cup mayo

Preheat oven to 325 F.
Grease two 9 inch cake pans with vegetable shortening, line the bottom with parchment paper, grease the parchment paper and flour the pans.
Combine milk, eggs whites, mayo and extracts in a small bowl with a fork. Set aside.
Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in an electric mixer and mix at slow speed with a paddle attachment. Add butter. Continue beating at slow speed until mixture looks like wet sand (If you're doing this by hand, sift the dry ingredients together and rub in butter).
Add all but 1/2 cup of milk mixture and beat at medium speed for 1 1/2 minutes. Add remaining milk mixture and beat for an additional 30 seconds, scraping the sides of the bowl if necessary. Do not overmix.
Divide batter evenly between prepared pans and gently shake to smooth batter. Bake 30-35 minutes, until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%