Tylose Sugar Glue With Alcohol?

Decorating By jennicita Updated 12 Aug 2009 , 6:37am by jennicita

jennicita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicita Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 8:44am
post #1 of 7

I recently started using sugar glue made of water and Tylose powder but have been getting frustrated with how slowly it dries. And that got me to wondering: we use alcohol as a glue, too, because it evaporates so much faster. Couldn't we use a mixture of Tylose and vodka or some other high-proof alcohol and have a super-efficient, super-fast drying sugar glue?

Has anybody else tried it? I mixed some together and it seems the same consistency as with water. I haven't tried it yet but as far as I can tell, there's no reason why it wouldn't work, is there?

I'd love to hear your opinions/experience!

Thanks,

Jenny

6 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 3:07pm
post #2 of 7

The questions we should be asking here are whether tylose needs water to dissolve, and whether alcohol would have an adverse effect on tylose.

I've never experimented with it, but you might need to use a 100 proof vodka, which would be about half alcohol, half water.

If you try it, please let us know the results.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

jennicita Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 7:54am
post #3 of 7

I tried it and it seems to work great! The tylose dissolved just the same as in water (I used something 86 proof) and it really seems to dry and stick faster.

You might want to give it a try, too! I think I'll be doing it this way from now on. icon_smile.gif

Jenny

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 8:09am
post #4 of 7

Thanks! That's a great idea.

jennicita Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 6:30pm
post #5 of 7

My pleasure! I've been doing some work with it today and I must say that the more I work with it, the more I like it. Just seems a bit stickier to me.

Cheers!

Jenny

halfbaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
halfbaked Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 11:38pm
post #6 of 7

I've never used this type of glue at all. Would it work on a GP bow tohold the loops in place? Faster drying than Royal Icing?

jennicita Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 6:37am
post #7 of 7

I don't think that would work - this is for two surfaces that fit together well (or smaller things with direct contact). From what I understand, RI is good for filling in spaces between things with different shapes/textures so that they stay together. With a bow I think you just don't have enough contact area for good adhesion, although I'm no expert.

Anybody else have more experience here?

Jenny

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%