Just Venting.......so Sorry So Long

Decorating By mrscromer Updated 9 Aug 2009 , 1:44pm by playingwithsugar

mrscromer Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 2:34am
post #1 of 14

Ok, I did this three tier wedding for this bride today. They only requested for it to feed 70 people. Back in June, when I had got together with the bride to be and the mother were all sat and talked about the cake. They had to idea of the kind of flavor for cake that they wanted and the colors for the wedding were BROWN, white, and red. And if I could try to get some sparrows onto the cake. I said that I would try to do the sparrows out of fondant, but if I couldn't I would find some fake ones at a craft store and they said that would be fine. At the start of the conversation, I quoted an ESTIMATE of $150.00 to $200.00 and at the end of the conversation, we had agree to $200.00 and if they really liked the cake I would accept a tip. I told them that I would require half down now and would like the rest of it paid off the week before the event. They said it was fine. I got home and made up an invoice and immediately send it via email to the bride and told her that this was proof that they gave me $100.00 deposit that day 6/16/2009, it was cash. And that I would like to know they flavors of the cake as soon as possible, which didn't happened until last week (July 30th) They finally called July 30th, wanting to change the color from brown to black and FINALLY letting me know the cake flavor. I also told her that I would like the rest of the money before the day of the event that way it would be one less thing to worry about and that it was $100.00 left on the total. She told me that she would get with me some time next week and give me the money. Well, that didn't happened, instead her mother calls me to tell me that she will have my money when I bring the cake on Saturday. I said ok that would be fine.

Well, here's the day....I get a phone call just before three from the bride wanting to know of the cake. I told her that when her mother called Friday, that I would bring the cake around 5:00 and that was going to be fine. She says that she just wanted to call to make sure and to see how the cake was doing......well I go to deliver the cake the MOB was like that is awefully small. I explained to her that they had requested a cake to feed 70 people and that they wanted a 3 tier cake. It was a 10, 8, and 6 inch round with 4 inches high on each tier. This would feed 74 people. She asked if this was wanted her daughter had wanted and I said yes. She yells at her daughter to come and look at the cake and she couldn't cuz she was getting her make up done. Well, I took pictures with my camera and ran the pics to her and she said she loved it. Afterwards, her mother said that we could go outside to my truck, so I'm like ok. Well, we get out there and she hands me $50.00 cash. I looked at her and said no, it was to be $100.00. She proceeds to tell me that I said it was only $150.00 for the cake. I explained to her that on June 16, I sent her daughter an email and an invoice reflecting the amount that was still owed to me. She stood her grounds. I went home ran to my computer, pulled up the email and invoice printed it out and went back to the event. I WAS HOT!!!!!! Calmly I went up to the mother and this time I told her that I would like a word with her. I explained that this was the reason why I wanted this paid for in advance, I don't like being made a fool in front of anyone, espeically when I was being nice and give her a GREAT deal on the cake. I showed her the invoice and the email. She got caught....She tried to play me. I told her that if the money was not paid say bye to the cake. Well, she apologize to me, trying to hug me and wanting the $50 back so she could write me a check. I told her no, that I keep the $50 and she can write the check for $50.00 that was left. She wrote me a check for $60.00 and apologize again and that I can take it to her bank and cash it Monday. I told her, Oh I will, plus that is my bank too.

So, we will wait and see if it clears.

13 replies
Deb_ Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 2:44am
post #2 of 14

You really need to come up with a detailed cake contract for your next order.

I'd also rethink your final payment policy.....1 week is really cutting it too close.

I'm glad this ended positively for you.

summernoelle Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 2:46am
post #3 of 14

And this is why you never ever default on your own contract.

LaBellaFlor Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 2:48am
post #4 of 14

I am SO glad you stood your ground and now we'll see if the check clears.

saberger Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 3:00am
post #5 of 14

I am so sorry you had to got through that. But good for you for standing your ground. I will be sure to always have a copy of the contract with me when I start my biz...just in case. Hope the check clears!!

7yyrt Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 4:21am
post #6 of 14

Next time please, all monies in hand before the oven is turned on.

cblupe Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 5:09am
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

Next time please, all monies in hand before the oven is turned on.

I agree totally with 7yyrt. I'm sure all will be well with the check!

cb

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 5:38am
post #8 of 14

If not, make sure you charge her for your bank charges for a bounced cheque as well. Those can run upwards of $50 per cheque!

If you haven't cashed/deposited it yet, wait until Monday and get it certified. If she uses the same bank you do, they may not charge for the cost. Not sure if they can do this anymore (I've done it in the past for another business I had), if you have a 'friend' in the bank (i.e. a teller you use often), as him/her if she could just see if there is enough money in the account - tell her your story (in short form). She may be sympathetic and do it. Some will, some won't.

Hope the cheque clears!

costumeczar Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 1:09pm
post #9 of 14

Some people... icon_mad.gif Don't do this to yourself in the future, though! If you require payment (a firm payment, not an I'll-pay-you-what-I feel-like-paying Payment) three weeks ahead AT LEAST, you won't have to deal with this kind of thing.

Lenette Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 1:37pm
post #10 of 14

I agree, get paid ahead of time; at least 2 weeks. I am not chasing anybody down the day of the wedding. Half the time no one but the venue staff is around when I deliver.

Sorry this happened to you, I hope there are no further issues. It was a lesson, try to relax and accept it as such. icon_smile.gif

tarheelgirl Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 1:40pm
post #11 of 14

I always get payment 3 weeks prior! This gives ample time to have all checks clear from the customer. Cuts down on the all confusion. Delivery is stressful enough.. I could not imagine having to collect final payment at the same time. Glad you did stand your grounds and get your total payment.

kakeladi Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 1:40pm
post #12 of 14

........got together with the bride to be and mother.....we had agree to $200.00......if they really liked the cake I would accept a tip......

I really got a kick out of this.... never think to tell anyone you will accept a tip. A tip is a gift given for good service.

Good luck with getting your $50 (that the ck is good). As the others have said, in the future Never, never even turn on your oven unless you have the $$$$ in hand!

Mensch Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 1:41pm
post #13 of 14

I get final payment 4-5 weeks ahead.

playingwithsugar Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 1:44pm
post #14 of 14

Sounds like it's time to keep a file for each customer, at least until the transaction is completed. Print all correspondence, then carry it with you to delivery, so you don't have to travel back home, if this happens again.

Since it's your bank, too, do not deposit the check - cash it outright, so you know if it will clear without having to wait for an answer. Then deposit the cash into your account.

Tuning in Monday -

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%