Building Cake!!! How To Make?

Decorating By claudiacakes Updated 10 Aug 2009 , 6:20pm by LittleLinda

claudiacakes Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 12:10am
post #1 of 5

Hello! I have an order of a Spiderman cake and I want to make a building out of cake and a Spiderman of gumpaste hanging on the side. My question is How can I make the support of this cake? How many dowels do I need..Just a big one or I need more? I think that may be around 2 feet tall...Do I need separators in between the cake or I just can make it all in cake? How can I make sure tha cake dont slip on the delivery??
Thank you for your advices.
Claudia

4 replies
Doug Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 12:25am
post #2 of 5

start by taking at look at this
http://cakecentral.com/articles/81

note how every 4" (one tier) you have to have a board and some type of internal support, in this case dowels and the separator plates.

this applies whatever size tiers you are using, even in your case where all the tiers will be the same size to make the building.

for a two foot tall cake -- lack of proper internal support spells toppled building.

and yes, will need some type of rod that goes ALL the way through.

personally for that tall, I'd attach the central rod to a solid 3/4" plywood base and lower each tier over it to get greatest stability
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1420079.html

will the finished cake even fit in your vehicle if it's that tall? -- check now.

LittleLinda Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 12:32pm
post #3 of 5

I have not done this, but I watch "Cake Boss" on TLC. Whenever he does tall things like that, he screws a large (like 3/4 inch, it looks like) dowel into a cake board. Then he takes each layer of cake, cuts a hole in it, and slides it down the dowel.

claudiacakes Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 5:16pm
post #4 of 5

thank you for your advices...help me a lot ...really appreciated thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

LittleLinda Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 6:20pm
post #5 of 5

I was talking about the show Cake Boss on TLC; but I noticed that CC automatically "highlighted" it to go to the Cake boss link which is a software tool by the same name; not the tv show.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%