What Letter Cutouts Do You Use?

Decorating By NatiMF30 Updated 9 Aug 2009 , 1:15pm by NatiMF30

NatiMF30 Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 10:41pm
post #1 of 10

Today I purchased the Wilton Fondant & Gumpaste letter mold set and it's turning out to be an extremely time consuming way to do letters and it's difficult to remove them form the mold.

What do you like to use for letters? What works best for you?

These letters are for a princess cake and so I'd like something a bit girlie and not just block letters.

Thanks!

9 replies
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 11:28pm
post #2 of 10

I have used this and yes, it is time-consuming, but can be worth it for the overall effect.

Did you chill the mold? You need to do this after each colour level. Yes, they don't come out like molded chocolate, but that's what the removal tool is for. Just don't stab it too far into the fondant, or you'll puncture the front of the letter. Press the end into the letter and pull at a slight angle.

Alternatively, get the Italics letter press kit (also Wilton). You spell out your word(s) in reverse on a slide, press lightly into the icing/fondant to make an impression, then use BC to write over them. This will give the letters more of a script look than a block letter look. And it's much faster, too.

HTH!

Rylan Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 2:28am
post #3 of 10

How about the fmm funky tappits?

ninatat Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 2:44am
post #4 of 10

is it the one that looks like a ruler, i'm glad it was only 8 dollars, i hate it, it took forever to make happy fathers day.

stampinron Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 2:44am
post #5 of 10

Yes, I have the funky tappits. Love them.

ptanyer Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 3:10am
post #6 of 10

You could try cutting them out of gumpaste on the Cricut. Not really tiny letters, but anything over 1" works icon_smile.gif

ceshell Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 7:37am
post #7 of 10

I love the look of the funky tappits - I just got mine in the mail yesterday! Aine2 has a great video showing how to use them so that you don't lose your mind trying to get your fondant out of em. I haven't tried it yet but I figure she would never steer me wrong icon_biggrin.gif

grandmom Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 9:27am
post #8 of 10

The Wilton set I bought a few weeks ago does not have a removal tool. At first, I deemed the whole thing a disaster as I couldn't get anything to release properly. I was using MFF fondant, no gumpaste or additives. But I kept trying and finally found a method that worked for me.

I smeared a very light coating of Crisco on my silicone rolling mat, rolled the fondant very thin, oh maybe 1/16th of an inch, and allowed that to dry for a few minutes. That was the key part - to let it dry somewhat. Otherwise, things got sticky.

Then I cut out each letter I needed (twice for good measure!), kinda scooting the cutter around just a tiny hair to be sure I had cut cleanly through the fondant. And I cut out all the letters I needed before removing the excess fondant.

Before pulling away the large surround of excess fondant, I took a dressmaker's straight pin and pulled out the little inner pieces such as the part left within the loops of P's and O's and A's. Then I pulled up the surrounding excess. I left the letters to dry a bit longer then moved them to a wax-paper lined cookie sheet, using the same pin to pick them up. I pushed anything askew back into place with the pin and left them to dry for a day before using on the cake.

grandmom Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 9:29am
post #9 of 10

OH, I'm sorry! I just reread the original post and realized she said she bought the MOLDS, not the CUTTERS. Oops! Oh, well, hope it helps someone anyway.

NatiMF30 Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 1:15pm
post #10 of 10

Thank you for all of your replies.

ptanyer - I don't have a cricut although after reading on here how useful it can be I will have to invest in one later. Thanks.

I have looked into the tappits but because if my schedule (i'll be out of town for a bit before my orders are due) I'm afraid I won't have enough time to do all the letters for 3 cakes due on the same weekend!

CutiePieCakes - I did not try freezing it although I did read that in the instructions (duh). But I switched from a MMF to 50/50 and I also greased the mold with fondant then dusted with cornstarch. This seemed to help a bit and made them easier to remove but the edges are still messy and takes a bit to clean up.

I know part of it is that I don't want the larger bottom layer that you are supposed to put on after you press the initial "top layer into the mold. It's too bulky for me, so I know that makes it trickier but I'll try freezing and see how that helps.

Thanks again for all your suggestions!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%