Sticky Fondant

Decorating By kat_girl86 Updated 9 Aug 2009 , 2:24am by Rylan

kat_girl86 Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 10:33pm
post #1 of 7

I have just really gotten into making cakes, I realized that it is what I wanted to do just after my husband said I had a knack for it. Anyways I have made 10 cakes so far and my problem is the same with them all. I generally make my own fondant when I am in the USA but when I am living in the UK I have found a place here that makes it already and it is really good. Well either way if I make it or if I buy it I can't stop it from sticking to the surface I am working on. I use powdered sugar to try and make it stop but no matter how much I use it never does. I read on one of the threads something about margarine on the surface so I tried that and it made it really nice to work with but stuck like crazy!! I need some help because I feel so bad after i spend hours trying to make it work!

-Kate icon_smile.gif

6 replies
Doug Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 12:11am
post #2 of 7

ever rolled out pie dough.

same principal.

have to do more than just dust entire surface with powdered sugar (some use cornstarch and other grease the surface with vegetable shortening (better choice than margarine or butter) -- i do PS for surface and veg. shortening for hands and rolling pin)

have to lift and turn the fondant.

don't press really hard either -- just enough to make it spread.

then lift, turn and push some more PS under if needed.

while it's small I'll even flip it over after each roll (don't do that with pie dough!)

eventually will get big enough can't flip or turn -- so just gently lift and get more PS under it.

surface must be scrupulously clean -- and the smoother the better which is why many have taken to doing it on vinyl sheet. (if only we could all afford those beautiful stainless steel worktables you see on the cake shows!)

vinyl sheet has big advantage of when done rolling, just lift the whole thing up and flip over onto the cake and peel the vinyl away.

takes practice

if fondant is WAY to wet, work in more PS or allow to air dry a bit. if gets too hard, work in veg. shortening.

keep trying. you'll get it yet.

And welcome to CC -- your newest "addiction"

a little help with all the abbreviations on here:

I'm sure others will be along with even MORE advice

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 12:30am
post #3 of 7

Doug's got the rolling instructions down pat. thumbs_up.gif

I use a shaker with powdered sugar AND corn starch (about 50/50) to cover my work area (sometimes I use a mat, sometimes not - my tabletop is pretty flat), and I rarely have a problem with it sticking.

2SchnauzerLady Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 1:09am
post #4 of 7

I've had better success with releasing with the sheet vinyl I bought at a fabric store (my walmart does not have a fabric section anymore) - than I did using the Wilton mat. Do you have someone back in Texas that could send you a piece? Or you could check with your neighbors in the UK to see if you can purchase it there. There are a lot of people on CC that are from the UK that could help you, hopefully one of them will see your post and help you out.

tonedna Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 1:24am
post #5 of 7

I put cornstarch in a Knee high stocking and it works like a charm.
Edna icon_smile.gif

Evoir Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 1:56am
post #6 of 7

One note, though...if you are working int he UK and filling lots of orders for fondant covered FRUIT cakes, do NOT use any corn starch at all in your dusting powder, only use finely sifted powdered sugar, or shortening. Corn powder/corn starch will react with the baked fruit cake and/or marzipan underneath and spoil. It causes a slimy layer underneath your fondant and goes rancid in short time.

Rylan Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 2:24am
post #7 of 7

Evoir, thanks for the info. I never thought of that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%