American Cake Magazine-Teacup

Business By weirkd Updated 12 Aug 2009 , 1:22am by weirkd

weirkd Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 9:34pm
post #1 of 16

I was wondering if anyone knows what CMC stands for? In this months issue, Kim Morrison demonstates how to make a gumpaste tea cup. Her recipe for Mexican paste calls for CMC. Is this a common ingredient that is just abbreviated or something I would have to special order?

15 replies
weirkd Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 11:46pm
post #2 of 16

No one?

icer101 Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 11:58pm
post #3 of 16

hi, i have to order it. it is the same as tylose. in nick lodges recipe.. he uses it in his g/p mix.. people add it to fondant to make it stronger and gives fondant more elasticity.. makes fondant into g/p.. hope i helped you understand ....

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 12:13am
post #4 of 16

icer101, is this the same as Wilton's Gum-Tex (or gum trag as some call it)? It's a stiffening agent that helps to make fondant and gum paste easier to work with, and helps make them firm(er) as it dries.

Molly2 Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 12:22am
post #5 of 16

I was wondering if it is the same as Gum-Tex


ptanyer Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 12:40am
post #6 of 16

Here's what I found in an earlier CC post:

"Carboxymethylcellulose sodium also called CMC, which is what Tylose is" she says:

"adding a bit of GumTex/CMC/Tylose/Gum Tragacanth when necessary".

So I think that we can use anyone of them interchangeably depending on whichever product is more accessible to us.

Hope that helps!

BTW: Out of almost a year's worth of ACD, I finally got one issue I absolutely love! I cannot wait to gather everything and spend a weekend playing and learning to make this tea cup and saucer. I've wanted to do so for some time and now with these photos and instructions, I feel like I can now do it. Almost makes it worth the costs of the subscription. And for once, I finally got an issue at the beginning of the time referenced on the label and not at the end of it.

Elise87 Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 1:05am
post #7 of 16

i actually did a gumpaste teacup and saucer a couple of months ago and i think they are great fun to do! Can't wait to make another one icon_smile.gif

ptanyer Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 2:01am
post #8 of 16

Elise - your tea cup has been on my mind ever since I saw it. We discussed it several times and I took a hiatus from creativity for a little while. But am reved up and ready give it a try! Thanks for all your tips. I can't wait until I can post a photo of one I made icon_smile.gif

weirkd Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 3:08pm
post #9 of 16

Thanks everyone! I dont understand why they just cant write tylose. Ive never seen CMC for sale labeled that way. Every place I know has either gum trag or tylose! It would be one thing is she was from overseas since they tend to call things differently but she's in PA for peets sakes!!! lol
Thanks for all your help! I cant wait to make one myself! I always wondered how she got the painting, especially on the cake that she has the wine glasses and autumn colors that won first place in the OSSAS show back in 2004?

icer101 Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 3:18pm
post #10 of 16

i just got back to this subject.. it has been answered.. it is all a little different. depends on how you use it.. on some jars.. it says cmc.. then some say tylose... i do think these are the same.. then the gum trag... is used different.. and then gumtex is used for the pliability ,ect... scott woolleys g/p recipe uses gum trag.. nick lodges uses tylose,etc... you can all of these to already made fondant,etc. so whatever you have on hand... jem cutters ...label theirs.. jem petal powder.. sweet impiration label theirs... cmc...etc..

weirkd Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 3:24pm
post #11 of 16

I have both tylose and gum trag. I use the gum trag in my gumpaste recipe and if I need it to dry quicker, I add a teaspoon of the tylose. But is this CMC is considered the same, does it have some quality to make it different like the tylose and gum trag? (I know gum trag gives it stretch)
I dont use gumtex anymore. I never liked the way it behaved and moved on to the tylose. So I guess my question is what does the cmc do?

cylstrial Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 5:55pm
post #12 of 16

Glad you brought this up! I never would have known either!

bobwonderbuns Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 6:06pm
post #13 of 16

An easy way to remember it is:

Gum trag = tree made
Tylose/CMC = man made
Gum Tex = Wilton made


weirkd Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 7:14pm
post #14 of 16

Thank you!

itsacake Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 1:03am
post #15 of 16

I have used both CMC and Tylose. They are not quite the same thing. CMC is indeed Carboxymethyl cellulose Tylose, at least the brand by Confectionary Arts International, is Carboxymethyl cellulose with the addition of dextrose. When I substituted CMC exactly for Tylose in Nick's recipe, it was quite a bit "tighter" for want of a better word. I ended up adding fondant to make it more like my usual mixture.

If you are going to substitute, I'd use a little less CMC than you would Tylose to start--at least until you see how it works for you.

Gum tragacanth is what people used before the synthetic CMC came about. It is a little more yellow and takes longer to set up so you can work with it, but is still favored by many for its strenth (and becasue it has such strong tradtion). It comes from the sap of a tree and it is more expensive than CMC or Tylose. Gum-tex contains another different tree gum, karaya. It's been a while since I used gum trag and I've never used Gum tex so can't speak as to how to substitute these.

weirkd Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 1:22am
post #16 of 16

thank you so much! That is exactly what I needed. I know that tylose and gum trag reacted differently so I knew that the cmc stuff must have some different quality to it to make her use it instead of tylose.

Quote by @%username% on %date%