Best Way To Paint On Fondant?

Decorating By paintergrrl73 Updated 23 Aug 2009 , 8:40pm by paintergrrl73

paintergrrl73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paintergrrl73 Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 8:23pm
post #1 of 9

Hi,

What's the best way to paint a design on fondant? I'm doing a wedding cake where the bride wants filigree/scroll work painted on (she showed me an example pic).

I know food coloring or anything water-based won't work. I need something that will work with solid colors and metalics. Please help!!

Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

8 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 8:29pm
post #2 of 9

Petal dust or luster dust mixed with vodka.

For metallics, try Americolor's metallic airbrush colors. You can paint them on with a paint brush instead of an airbrush.

biancas_mommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
biancas_mommy Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 8:47pm
post #3 of 9

Can somebody explain why regular straight icing color won't work? I've used americolor gels to paint small details on fondant and it worked fine. If I tried to do a large pattern like you're describing, would it not work because it's water based?

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 8:50pm
post #4 of 9

Gel color would work but I think she's looking for something that's not transparent. Personally I'd do filigree or scroll work with royal icing because it would be a lot easier.

Musings9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Musings9 Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 9:15pm
post #5 of 9

I remember reading on one of these threads that gel color mixed with melted shortening makes a substance that looks and behaves like real paint.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 2:32am
post #6 of 9

Food coloring can work. I've tried it.

I'd use dusts dilluted in vodka or airbrush colors.

sugarsugargal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarsugargal Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 9:22am
post #7 of 9

there is a painted cake in my photos, check it out, i used melted cocoa butter mixed with dust colours, its very user friendly, hope this helps icon_smile.gif

sammie192 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sammie192 Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 3:44pm
post #8 of 9

Hi all I paint on my fondant with browngel &lemon favoring to look like wood thats ok. now I want it shiny how can i get that look ?Thanks you sammie

paintergrrl73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paintergrrl73 Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 8:40pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks for all your help/suggestions!! thumbs_up.gif I just posted pics of the cake. I tried the silver metallic dust diluted with vodka first but it was too thin and transparent to see on top of white fondant.

Then I mixed it with vegtable shortening and that did the trick! The weather was very hot and humid while I made the cake even though the kitchen was air conditioned it still made the whole project tricky.

I found that at room temperature the shortening and the dust made a paint-like substance that I could brush on the fondant. I could go over the design a few times as needed to make it heavier or wipe some away with a clean brush. Of course refrigerated the whole thing once it was done but even at a hot outdoor wedding the next day the cake held up well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%