Advice Please!!!!!

Decorating By tab26852 Updated 14 Aug 2009 , 11:13pm by beachcakes

tab26852 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tab26852 Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 6:10pm
post #1 of 4

I am making the wilton castle cake for a lady that lives about 15 miles from me so my question is can any one give me some advice on how to keep the towers from falling over until I get there. I can not wait until I get there to assemble it because its a surprize party and the lady wants it delivered at the start of the party.

3 replies
ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 4:05am
post #2 of 4

That's such a hard thing to do. I only moved my cakes about 3 feet from the table to the countertop and my towers moved. One in particular fell over and I had to reattach it before the party started. I'm thinking about drilling out the bottoms (or cutting the very bottoms of them off and making them smooth and inserting them into the cake like pillars if I ever agree to do another one again. Either that or I will use a really deep cake drum of foam core and make holes the size of the tower bases in it and then use RI and glue them into place. The problem is that the towers are top heavy. If you could put some weights in them - like the glass beads for fish tanks, etc., it might give more stability.

I know that probably doesn't help you in time for this cake, but maybe it will help in the future icon_smile.gif

Please let us know what you decide to do and how it turned out!

jdub253 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdub253 Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 10:22pm
post #3 of 4

I made a castle cake, but did not use the kit... Square cake w/ knotches cut out of the corners. I made rice krispie treat towers with covered cones for the roofs. I put in a angled skewer to hold the tower to teh cake (in addition to using butter cream) and filled the cones with RKT and had another skewer to hold on the cones... hope this make sense. you can see the pic on my profile. I think it turned out okay.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 11:13pm
post #4 of 4

I made one with RKT/icecream cone towers and transported it 15 miles. It was definitely nervewracking. I inserted bamboo skewers into the towers and down into the foamcore base. Also added a blob of melted choc to secure it to the board. Luckily it didn't fall over. Not sure how!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%