Cake Stands...me Angry!!!!

Decorating By Katilia Updated 17 Aug 2009 , 12:35pm by jackmo

Katilia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katilia Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 5:57pm
post #1 of 27

Why is it so freaking difficult to find nice cake stands online? Or anywhere for that matter? All I can find online are tacky ugly plastic things that would have been popular in the 80's.

I'm looking for a square cake pedestal, my client wants it to be silver. I want it to be an actual pedestal, you know it's like a wine glass on the bottom and a freaking square on the top!
GRRRRR! I'm so mad! Is it really that people just prefer the ugly cake stands? I can't believe this! Is the market really that big for butt ugly tacky plastic lacy cake stands with fountains and staircases in the middle? Are we still in the age of Wilton? Have we not moved on to better and more sophisticated styles of cake stands?

I'm making a cake similar to this one...
http://blushevents.blogspot.com/2008/10/amy-atlas-mod-dessert-table.html

it requires a more modern cake stand but where the frick am I supposed to find one?!?!? icon_cry.gif

Please please please please! I know someone out there knows where I can find a nice cake stand that doesn't cost a billion dollars. Please someone help me!

26 replies
crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 6:04pm
post #2 of 27

Sorry I can't help you, but I have to say....that cake is amazing! I absolutely love it. Good luck in your search.

Sweettooth1120 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweettooth1120 Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 6:06pm
post #3 of 27

Beautiful cake but that almost looks like a bowl with a wide mouth. Perhaps you can make a stand by finding a wide mouth bowl or vase and gluing a flat surface to it.

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 6:09pm
post #4 of 27

That's not a stand. It's just some kind of vase or bowl with the cake sitting on top.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 6:11pm
post #5 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweettooth1120

Beautiful cake but that almost looks like a bowl with a wide mouth. Perhaps you can make a stand by finding a wide mouth bowl or vase and gluing a flat surface to it.

That's what I was going to suggest. Try finding a big candle holder or silver vase somewhere like World Market or Hobby Lobby or even Ross, and then just make a very thick cake board to go on top of it.

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 6:12pm
post #6 of 27
tamiscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tamiscakes Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 6:13pm
post #7 of 27

i went to google.com and typed in modern cake stands and came up with some you might try that.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 6:28pm
post #8 of 27
maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 6:33pm
post #9 of 27

That actually looks like a fruit bowl to me.

enoid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enoid Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 6:40pm
post #10 of 27

I agree it looks like a fruit bowl with a cake board set on top of it.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 7:17pm
post #11 of 27

I thought it was a wooden fruit bowl...that was my first search

since she wanted it square...

square wooden fruit bowls...that search didn't reap me anything

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 2:18am
post #12 of 27

Check Ebay, Ross and Marshalls.

Martha Stewart also has square pedestal stands.

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 2:32am
post #13 of 27

I was going to suggest finding a pretty silver bowl. I've seen similar stuff in some of the higher end catalogs, like Pottery Barn or Crate and Barrel. You might check Pier One for something similar too.

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 2:40am
post #14 of 27
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 12:19am
post #15 of 27

There are some beautiful cake plateau's on this website. Here's the link. You have to scroll to the bottom to see them. Hope this helps.
http://www.cakesbysam.com/store/cart.php?target=search&substring=cake+stand

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 12:52am
post #16 of 27

definitely think outside the box. This silver separator I used on this cake: http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1258367 is a fruit bowl turned upside down. Found it on sale at Old Time Pottery for about three bucks.

Luvsthedogs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luvsthedogs Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 1:10pm
post #17 of 27

I bought a cake stand from these folks and was very pleased

http://www.save-on-crafts.com/we2.html

Katilia Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 10:32pm
post #18 of 27

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I didn't mean that I was trying to find the cake stand in the picture (which does look home made). The cake is similar to the one I'm making.

I think I'm just going to have to make one myself, I can't find anything I like. She doesn't want to spend too much money and I think I convinced her to do black instead of silver.

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 5:42pm
post #19 of 27

Have you looked on etsy? Just google it. There are a LOT of handmade or even vintage (I'm thinking the 60s mod look) items for sale on there.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 7:37pm
post #21 of 27

That is a beautiful cake, maybe it will work out less expensive to make your own

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 8:25pm
post #22 of 27

FYI - I needed about twenty cake plates and made them by attaching upside down sundae cups to glass dinner plates. Did them on the cheap.

This modern design would stand up to a simple cube made of wood. Cover with a modern fabric.

Katilia Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 4:16am
post #23 of 27

Thanks everyone! It's very annoying that I even have to resort to this but I'm going to build one myself. Perhaps I should go into the cake stand business lol. I'll post pictures of the finished product! Wish me luck!

Rylan Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 1:29am
post #24 of 27

Btw, I just bought 10 diffent kinds of cake stands this week from antique stores, flea markets and discount stores. I suggest you check those places out because you will find AWESOME ones. I MEAN TOTALLY AWESOME.

jackmo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackmo Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 1:36am
post #25 of 27

hi. iam glad this was bought up. Do people use the white cake stands anymore? I was thinking about getting rid or possibly selling them. I prefer the crystal stands myself. they are more elegant and will go with any cake. To me a white stand and an ivoery cake just don't look good to me.

Rylan Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 6:08am
post #26 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmo

hi. iam glad this was bought up. Do people use the white cake stands anymore? I was thinking about getting rid or possibly selling them. I prefer the crystal stands myself. they are more elegant and will go with any cake. To me a white stand and an ivoery cake just don't look good to me.

Are you kidding me? I am dying to find vintage milk glass and contemporary ceramic cake stands. I like the simple ones with clean lines.

I actually wanted to get rid of my crystal ones because I am not really a fan of them unless they are plain.

Maybe we should trade? hehehe.

jackmo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackmo Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 12:35pm
post #27 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmo

Are you kidding me? I am dying to find vintage milk glass and contemporary ceramic cake stands. I like the simple ones with clean lines.

I actually wanted to get rid of my crystal ones because I am not really a fan of them unless they are plain.

Maybe we should trade? hehehe.

Hi Ryan, what i was talking about is the wilton plastic white stand with seperator plates.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%