My Cake Is So Ugly :(

Decorating By MamaMayhem Updated 10 Aug 2009 , 1:15am by Texas_Rose

MamaMayhem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaMayhem Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 4:06pm
post #1 of 13

It's only the second fondant cake I've ever made so I'm trying to be reasonable, but I'm mad/upset/disappointed right now. The colors are too dark, all wrong and I just don't have enough time to embellish it as I would like. My poor son. His second birthday cake is ugly as dog balls! UGH!

The party starts in an hour...I'll post pictures later or tomorrow. Just wanted to vent a bit...

12 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 4:08pm
post #2 of 13

Awww...just keep in mind you're probably looking at it through "cake goggles" and seeing every little thing that you don't like. The party guests will just look at it and think it's awesome and that they can't make something that neat.

But I had to laugh a bit at your expression..."ugly as dog balls!" icon_lol.gif

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 4:55pm
post #3 of 13

LMAO.... ugly as dog balls.

Hooboy am I gonna remember that one!

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 5:33pm
post #4 of 13

First of all , boys LOVE balls!
This is why I love doing cakes for kids, Every single kid is going to go ga ga over a cake no matter what it looks like, They are probly going to eat all of the fondant (which adults usually peel off and trash) then lick the icing off and maybe eat the cake part. Kids are my kind of customer. Relax and have some cake (this is also why we have adult drinks at all of our parties) icon_smile.gif

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 11:17pm
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeBoos-8599_

First of all , boys LOVE balls!
This is why I love doing cakes for kids, Every single kid is going to go ga ga over a cake no matter what it looks like, They are probly going to eat all of the fondant (which adults usually peel off and trash) then lick the icing off and maybe eat the cake part. Kids are my kind of customer. Relax and have some cake (this is also why we have adult drinks at all of our parties) icon_smile.gif

Do we adults do this so we can also eat all the fondant, lick the icing off and maybe eat the cake part? I LIKE IT! thumbs_up.gif

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 11:30pm
post #6 of 13

oh...some balls are cute

MamaMayhem Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 10:48pm
post #7 of 13

We had the party and all went well. Who was it that said I was looking at it with "cake goggles"? You were so right! I still think it could have been better if I had allowed myself more time, and I had WAY too heavy a hand when I added the colorant to the fondant, but that will get better with practice...right? Overall I'm (now) happy with how the cake turned out. Thanks for all the support!

MamaMayhem Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 10:49pm
post #8 of 13

Hmmm, I tried to add a photo but I must have done something wrong. I uploaded it to my profile too. So it should be up there soon.

marknelliesmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marknelliesmum Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 11:01pm
post #9 of 13

I'm glad i came in on this too late to be of any help coz all i can do is laugh at your description - you have made my night icon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gif
Ugly as dog balls...genius
x

diamondsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsmom Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 11:06pm
post #10 of 13

LMAO! DOG BALLS! too funny.. But it's according to how u look at it. It can be a beautiful thing

MamaMayhem Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 11:30pm
post #11 of 13

You guys are so sweet. Thanks for the kind comments! This cake was my inspiration:

http://cakesbyanitha.blogspot.com/2009/06/cars-cake.html

I knew I haven't learned enough to be able to do that yet, but I was expecting mine to turn out different...I guess I just need to relax a little and use each cake as a learning experience icon_smile.gif I like my cake now that I've taken off the goggles. And yes, my son loved it! So that's what matters!! icon_smile.gif

vlk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vlk Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 1:08am
post #12 of 13

I think you did a great job!
and ALWAYS aim high, push yourself - and in those moments greatness apears! Otherwise, if we keep shooting at the floor instead of the stars - we stand still - Cuz we done shot our feet off ! LOL....

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 1:15am
post #13 of 13

She marbled the fondant on that cake, that's how it came out with the different colors...to get the blue effect on the sky, take a piece of blue and a piece of white and roll them together and just work them until the colors blend as much as you want. Looks like she added some clouds on top of that. The brown parts were done the same way.

I like yours, though...very fun looking. I always like bold colors on cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%