Wasc - Quick Question

Decorating By susgene Updated 9 Aug 2009 , 10:33pm by kakeladi

susgene Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 1:06pm
post #1 of 9

First of all I am a total novice at baking...

I made the original WASC recipe on this site. LOVED IT and I will be using it a lot in the future.

A bride has asked for almond cake but I noticed in the WASC cake I couldn't taste the almond flavoring. Is this normal? Would a bride be wanting a distinct almond taste?

Thanks!

8 replies
kello Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 1:22pm
post #2 of 9

I love this recipe as well!! I find I do taste the Almond. It isn't over powering, but you can taste it. Did you ask anyone else if they could? Maybe try adding a tiny bit more almond flavor.

susgene Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 1:29pm
post #3 of 9

No one tasted the almond.

Maybe I'm just using the wrong almond flavoring. I think it was the Wilton Almond flavoring... would the Wilton brand be considered weak?

So I'll either double-up on the amount or try a different brand. What brand do you use?

And what is almond emulsion. Would this do better?

kello Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 12:21am
post #4 of 9

I've never tried the almond from Wilton. I've used the grocery store brand and Lorraine's.
I'm not sure what almond emulsion is.....sorry!

Rylan Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 2:11am
post #5 of 9

I've tried the Wilton one and I think it is too strong for my taste. I usually just use vanilla instead of Almond. Maybe you can add more of the almond extract so it tastes stronger.

xstitcher Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 5:27am
post #6 of 9

I would just add more almond. Are you using part vanilla, part almond and part butter? If so just reduce one of the other ones or replace them.

Also, have you or are you planning on doing a tasting? If so let the bride make the determination.

JaimeAnn Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 6:55am
post #7 of 9

The Original wasc calls for almond emulsion which is stronger than almond extract. If using the Wilton almond extract you should use 2 teaspoons or more if you like a strong almond flavor.

grandmom Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 9:46am
post #8 of 9

I used 2 teaspoons of McCormicks pure almond extract, and found the almond taste just a bit strong, although I love almond flavor. The next batch I cut it back to 1.5 teaspoons and found that to be just right.

kakeladi Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 10:33pm
post #9 of 9

I have noted that flavoring of cakes and/or icing is totally a personal thing. Some leave out the almond.....others use more. You can adjust the amount used.
I give the flavoring recipe I use - adding 2 tablespoons of the mixture to this cake.
If that is not enough flavor for you - increase it to your tastes. It won't through off the whole recipe at all.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%