Securing A Cake To A Cake Board

Decorating By Mayday75 Updated 8 Aug 2009 , 1:24pm by notjustcakes

Mayday75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mayday75 Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 12:32pm
post #1 of 7

I need to know if you can use anything other than royal icing to secure a cake to a cake board? I dont really want to make a huge batch of royal icing to do that as i wont be using it to ice the cake as well?

6 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 12:35pm
post #2 of 7

I generally just use a smear of whatever I'm icing the cake with.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 12:35pm
post #3 of 7

just a spatula full of regular old buttercream will hold it just fine.

welcome to CC -- you're newest addition;

to make it easier to decode all the abbreviations we use, see this thread.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-2926.html

again. Welcome! and happy caking.

Mayday75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mayday75 Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 12:41pm
post #4 of 7

Thank you both, i am using fondant to cover the cake, i am making the cake a week out from the party so can i use buttercream if i am not going to put it in the fridge, it will also be too big to put in an airtight container. I am going to leave it in the cake box.

pieceacake830 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pieceacake830 Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 12:54pm
post #5 of 7

I would NEVER consider making a cake a week in advance, and leaving it on the counter. I will be moldy in 4-5 days. Please reconsider your time line, AND use a refrigerator if your going to leave it out for more than 2 days.

You will need to use buttercream to make the fondant "stick" to your cake.

Good Luck!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 1:13pm
post #6 of 7

airtight container another bad thing.

locks in moisture TOO much and the fondant has a high chance of turning to a gooey mess -- can happen in as little as overnight!

notjustcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcakes Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 1:24pm
post #7 of 7

You might consider doing your cakes one day, allow them to cool...Double wrap in good plastic wrap and then foil. Freeze. Do your fillings the next day and refrigerate (if perishable). Do your frostings the following day and refrig. if perishable...Then take out your cakes the day before the event in the AM. Allow to come to room temp and torte, fill and crumb coat...Back into the fridge for awhile...Then decorate.. What you are wanting to do would be either unfresh or at worst moldy....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%