Its Never Good Enough....please Help

Decorating By Deniro Updated 9 Aug 2009 , 1:21am by tonedna

Deniro Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 6:53am
post #1 of 23

I've done a few free cakes for a cousin who always thanks me. I just found out that one of my aunts was commenting on my cakes. She basically said that she doesn't like my cakes that their not light and fluffy like the bakery's. She chose the wrong person to tell this to because that person is my sister. My sister kindly reminded her that I was doing these cakes for free and that she happen to like my cakes . My aunt had the nerve to say that maybe I should start baking with good ingredients and then maybe people would start paying me. What? I don't get why people have to be so mean. I'm not a pastry chef. Just trying to make someone's birthday special. This really upset me! I have been using the "Mermaid butter cake recipe" from this site I really like it ,the texture is more like a butter pound cake. Does any one know if this recipe is a firm cake or suppose to be on the lighter side? Does anyone have any other suggestions for a recipe?

22 replies
all4cake Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 7:25am
post #2 of 23

That was an inconsiderate comment your aunt made. If you like your cake and others like your cake aside from your aunt, why bother changing it? Not everyone is going to like the same thing. I would, if I said anything, tell your aunt that if you ever have the opportunity/desire to make her a cake that you'll be sure to use a cake mix for her's...they are nice and fluffy like she's use to.

anamado Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 8:07am
post #3 of 23

Bakery cakes can be different but I don't eat them... They are usually made with those prepared mixes with thousands of things we don't know about. I very much rather those scratch recipes.
I never tried that specific recipe, but I went to read it and seams just fine.
Someone that criticizes that hard and to such a close person as a sister, means to really get to you ... I wouldn't give a damn. I know that it hurts, but let all meanness eat her inside alone.

(I don't know if all I tried to tell you makes sense, I am Portuguese and maybe some sentences don't make sense in english)

marknelliesmum Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 8:28am
post #4 of 23

Hi Folks!
There's nothing wrong with your recipe - it's all the bits you add into it that are the problem: your time, good wishes, kindness, love and effort at trying to make someone a special cake just for them. I reckon your cakes can't compare to the bakery cake your aunt likes coz when she buys cakes she also buys a buy one, get one free portion of jealousy. How mean!!! Bet your cake tastes great - she just wishes it was her making people as happy as you do. If you are not 100% happy with your recipe try a few others the one i use is also quite a firm pound cake texture but i carve a lot and you need a firm cake for that but it's on my 'to do' list to find a lighter, fluffier cake for the non carved cakes.
Keep smiling and don't give her another thought oh and get yourself over to the other thread that's going about being kind to people, i'm sure you'll have something to add but if not just reading it warms the cockles of your heart to know that for every meanie like your aunt there are many kind, selfless people in the world the real pity is that it's the meanie's of this world who like to get their selves noticed not the kind folks. icon_wink.gif

JenniferMI Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 12:36pm
post #5 of 23

She's just rude....consider the source.

Jen icon_smile.gif

aliciag Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 1:04pm
post #6 of 23

Some people think that sharing DNA is a free pass to insult and critic everything you do.
I'm sorry this happened to you.

tbittner Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 1:08pm
post #7 of 23

I think your aunt has a problem with others being happy. I have one like that too, always have to complain about something. Such fun to be around...
Anyway the Whimsical Bakehouse White Butter cake is really light and fluffy.
I always freeze it overnight first and Love the texture and flavor! Here is a link with he recipe.
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-257921.html

Keep doing what you are doing, no one ever makes me a birthday cake, I would be grateful!

Tracy

Jen80 Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 2:00pm
post #8 of 23

Does your cousin like them? If so, why change the recipe? She's the one getting your cakes.

You're obviously comfortable with this recipe. It's good when you can find one that you know will never fail you.

ninatat Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 2:30pm
post #9 of 23

and she's your aunt! i bet if you called her and said i have an extra cake do you want it, i bet she'd take it. has she alway's been so crabby, she had to know your sister would have told you, your sister should have told her well you didn't have to eat it.lol it would be funny if you had another event where you made the cake and she ate some you could walk up and say oh now you like my cakes? sorry lol, i know you have to keep peace in the family. like the others said some people are never happy or have to crab about something, try not to take it personal. icon_mad.gif

Texas_Rose Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 3:59pm
post #10 of 23

Just wait until it's her turn to want a free cake from you, then tell her that you know she doesn't care for your cakes and that you don't want to spend a lot of time making something she just won't like, so you think she'd be better off getting a cake from Costco or Walmart.

My sister was always complaining about how my fondant tasted like garbage, and making a huge show of peeling it off of the cake and throwing it out before she ate the cake. She was the only one who did that. So she asked me for a cake for her birthday to take to work, and I told her that I knew she didn't like fondant and that was what I liked to use, so I wasn't going to ruin her birthday by making something she hated. The next time we had cake at a family occasion, she ate hers, fondant and all, without complaining. It really was just that she can't stand to see me having a skill that she doesn't have...but that's too bad, I have a bunch.

LaBellaFlor Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 4:08pm
post #11 of 23

I wouldn't let it bother you. Everyone has their own taste preference. And if she every wants a cake from you for free< I would say exactly what Texas-Rose said. No cake for her! icon_twisted.gif

FromScratch Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 4:17pm
post #12 of 23

LMAO... "good ingredients"... like the bakery she buys from that probably uses a commercial mix. Bwahahaha!!! I'd just let her be a crab apple and not give her any cake.

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 5:30pm
post #13 of 23

Oh man I would not be able to let this one go.
I would show up at the next event with a store bought cupcake just for her with a smiley face on it.

calicopurr Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 6:20pm
post #14 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by minie

Some people think that sharing DNA is a free pass to insult and critic everything you do.
I'm sorry this happened to you.

That's funny. Dejavu.

JaimeAnn Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 7:23pm
post #15 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeBoos-8599_

Oh man I would not be able to let this one go.
I would show up at the next event with a store bought cupcake just for her with a smiley face on it.

OMG BeeBoos That is EXACTLY what I would do! I would make sure I said loudly that because Auntie PickyA$$ doesn't like my cake I stopped and bought her , her own store made cupcake. I am pretty sure it was made within the last month and probably wasn't frozen for more than a few weeks so it should be just to her liking!

Kellbella Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 7:41pm
post #16 of 23

Soounds like the green eyed monster is coming out. She probably sucks at baking and putting you down is the only way to make up for inability to bake and decorate. icon_wink.gif

DefyGravity Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 7:44pm
post #17 of 23

I'm very sorry she said that icon_sad.gif What a meanie!

tonedna Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 8:02pm
post #18 of 23

I would buy a store one withouth icing and decorate it myself to see what she says.. icon_lol.gif
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

FromScratch Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 10:47pm
post #19 of 23

LOL.. I think I'd doctor her a mix with some "special chocolate" added (read ex-lax).

Deniro Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 11:17pm
post #20 of 23

Thank you all for your comments. I will continue using the Mermaid recipe and look forward to trying the whimsical white butter recipe. I shouldn't let comments such as my aunts affect me but it still hurts. Thank goodness for this community your all very supportive. icon_smile.gif

madgeowens Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 11:32pm
post #21 of 23

That was really ignorant..........sounds like something my relatives would say...oh wait...I disowned them lol

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 11:43pm
post #22 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Just wait until it's her turn to want a free cake from you, then tell her that you know she doesn't care for your cakes and that you don't want to spend a lot of time making something she just won't like, so you think she'd be better off getting a cake from Costco or Walmart.

My sister was always complaining about how my fondant tasted like garbage, and making a huge show of peeling it off of the cake and throwing it out before she ate the cake. She was the only one who did that. So she asked me for a cake for her birthday to take to work, and I told her that I knew she didn't like fondant and that was what I liked to use, so I wasn't going to ruin her birthday by making something she hated. The next time we had cake at a family occasion, she ate hers, fondant and all, without complaining. It really was just that she can't stand to see me having a skill that she doesn't have...but that's too bad, I have a bunch.

You go, GIRL! thumbs_up.gif

Tracy, your aunt is jealous that you can provide something for her daughter that she couldn't - and everyone loved it (bar her, of course). Take her derogatory remarks as a compliment. You have TALENT! thumbs_up.gif

tonedna Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 1:21am
post #23 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratch

LOL.. I think I'd doctor her a mix with some "special chocolate" added (read ex-lax).

Awesome!...love that flavor!... icon_rolleyes.gif
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%