I Am Finally Going To Open My Shop But Just Nervous All Over

Business By Claricakes Updated 10 Aug 2009 , 9:40pm by Scibaker

Claricakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claricakes Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 5:17am
post #1 of 23

Cake Central....
Thanks for your motivation and advice for everything you post on here about sugar! I am forever grateful!
I am about to open my doors this coming up week and I am so scared. Tears of joy and trying to sink in the reality of this.
I have taken all of the advice here on the business forum and other information I have learned and formed " Little Sugar Bake Shop"
I do have some questions... what is the health inspector looking for at final expection? Any advice about the inspection I should know before scheduling?
Thanks again for all your help sorry so long... I just need positive people around me.

Thanks for all the inspiration.
God Bless
Clarissa

22 replies
LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 5:35am
post #2 of 23

thumbs_up.gif Congratulations & Good Luck!

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 5:42am
post #3 of 23

Just wanted to echo LaBellaFlor's sentiments.

Congrats and Best of Luck!

I'd love to help you with your question but I don't sell (yet icon_wink.gif ).

Claricakes Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 6:28am
post #4 of 23

Thanks for the well wishes..please someone guide me into this final stage.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 7:05am
post #5 of 23

I wish I could help you with your question.

Congratulations!

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 10:48am
post #6 of 23

The health requirements can vary so I don't know that anyone can answer you really.

I am sure you have been working with the HD along the way so just double check the guidelines. Make sure everything is clean, you have soap and paper towels and a lid for the trash. Other than that smile and know that everything will be fine.

It's normal to be nervous but even if they find some small issue they will probably just tell you and let you fix it.

Best wishes to you!

icon_smile.gif

CakeDiane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiane Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 11:44am
post #7 of 23

I don't have the answer for you either...but best wishes!!!! Keep us posted on how it goes! I hope to do the same one day so for now I'll live vicariously thorugh you icon_biggrin.gif

Claricakes Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 1:30pm
post #8 of 23

Aww.... thanks so much.... I do plan on writing an article about my experience and the cost I put into this.. the steps and process. It really was very easy to do and came together all to quickly.
This truly is a gift from above to be going through this and for that I am forever grateful. My husband is the great gift... he is the one who has inspired me and proceeded to help me make the dream a reality. I love him very much. Support is the best medicine.
Thanks CAKE CENTRAL!

Clarissa

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 1:57pm
post #9 of 23

The final HD inspection is generally the easiest in some ways. You know they are comming and when, you have been working together to get to the final and they generally tell you everything along the way. That was my experience many years ago. The HD came out for the intial vist and told me everything that I needed to get it to be "shop ready" compliant. As I was working on getting everything together, she (HD inspector) made a few stop bys to check on progress. I called anytime I had questions. The final inspection was just a check off of everything we had discussed from the first visit to present. She walked thru and verified everything was in place, the exterminator contracts and first visit were complete, and just a bit of advice on how to stay on top of things. Really, it was just a formality. Best wishes!

BaBa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BaBa Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 2:07pm
post #10 of 23

Good luck and God bless.

IsaSW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IsaSW Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 2:30am
post #11 of 23

Congratulations!
We will be waiting on your article to hear your story.

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 2:47am
post #12 of 23

CONGRATS
YEAH FOR YOU
BEST WISHES
GOOD LUCK
AWESOME
SUPER-YAY
(did I miss any?)

So the HD issue will vary, but my inspector is mainly concerned with contaminating (ed) food- eggs go on bottom of fridge, dish water won't splash on clean dishes, all fridges/freezers hold proper temp etc. She understands if my table is covered in powdered sugar when she comes in, but I'd better have on gloves.

be sure to post a pic of your OPEN sign, as it is the best sign ever. I still get a kick out of flipping mine from closed to OPEN!

sugarcheryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarcheryl Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 3:02am
post #13 of 23

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Wish you much success. icon_smile.gif

Claricakes Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 4:01am
post #14 of 23

TEARS.... thanks for all the well wishes...My shop is actually going to be open only if I need to clean it or if I have to work in it. My AC is set on very low... and everything will be unplugged except for the refrigerator. This year my daughter starts school so most of my cake time and time to take care of myself will be during the day. I have a schedule to be closed on Sunday's and Monday's for sure unless I have an order, but those days have always been my slowest. I plan on working during the day and when my children get out of school, then my day is done. Unless I have after hour scheduled appointments. My cake shop will not be a sit in and have coffee and cupcakes type of bakery. Customers can stop by to look at my pictures and place an order, but mostly everything will be through telephone or email. Yes... I will place pictures of my shop just as soon as I can get the last of everything sorted out and some finishing touches like my outside sign placed.
Hopefully.... I can the pictures on here by Tues. LOL!
Again thanks for all your well wishes.... they can make a nervous person feel a little at ease.

Clarissa

DebBTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebBTX Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 12:41am
post #15 of 23

Clarissa,
You are going to have a fantastic business. Your cakes are wonderful. Congratulations on your new shop.

-Debbie B.

Claricakes Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 1:10am
post #16 of 23

you all so are sweet and supportive.
Thanks again for the well wishes I will keep them close at heart.

Clarissa

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 3:29pm
post #17 of 23

Clarrissa,

I can't wait to hear how the inpection went and opening day. Please keep in touch.

aundron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundron Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 3:45pm
post #18 of 23

Congratulations, Clari!! I hope one day to do the same as you, actually, this thread is motivation for me!!

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 3:51pm
post #19 of 23

Having just gone through this 1 week and 6 days ago icon_smile.gif I have to say that the final inspection was sort of easy icon_smile.gif. I'd been in contact with the guy who did the inspection several times and when he came he checked the temperature of the frig, made sure there were enough sinks, asked a couple of questions..really easy! I was so busy in the days leading up to the inspection (cleaning like crazy, doing finishing touches) that I didn't even have time to get worried (too much). He had told me to be sure the temp was correct on the frig before he arrived so I'd purchased about 3 different thermometers to be sure icon_smile.gif! My place is a seperate commercial kitchen located across the driveway from our house (rural Oklahoma) that I only use to bake cakes in. It won't be open to the public so it's just the kitchen, pantry, bathroom and office, but it's just perfect for me. It got all of my cake stuff out of our house and allows the kitchen in our home to be used for things like family meals icon_smile.gif! Good luck! Your cakes are truly wonderful--you are so talented!

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 3:52pm
post #20 of 23

Congratulations Clarissa, and Good Luck
May God Bless you in all you do
Best Wishes

Claricakes Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 4:07pm
post #21 of 23

How sweet......many people inspired me as well... But one particular friend inspired me the most. She told me I was wise with customers, marketing and great in sales that opening a bakery would be the best thing I could do for myself. And with that inspiration I made " Little Sugar Bake Shop"
Right now this feels like a slow motion dream.... but once I have all of my permitts and I will actually be legal then maybe it will sink in. When I am sleeping I am dreaming about me working in it. It's an amazing feeling. The best part of it is it's all mine and I am finally living the american dream. If I can do this anyone else can, the passion and the driven desire to work hard and understand that you will not become rich over night but in time you will be alot happier than you started. And your family and children will understand that true hard work can make dreams come true.

lish1904 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lish1904 Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 8:09pm
post #22 of 23

Congratulations Claricakes! I can't even imagine how exciting it feels to open your own shop. I hope to be in your shoes one day. I'm extremely interested in reading your article once you complete it.

Scibaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Scibaker Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 9:40pm
post #23 of 23

Sounds wonderful! Congratulations. I too would like to hear the details on how you are pulling this off. I would love to do the same thing some day... Best of luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%