Found This On Craigslist... Puleeeze!

Business By juleskaye518 Updated 11 Aug 2009 , 5:44pm by LaBellaFlor

juleskaye518 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleskaye518 Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 3:42am
post #1 of 30

We want a killer cake for our wedding. But I will not pay the fancy prices icon_evil.gificon_evil.gif some of the cake people are charging nowadays. Times are tough, so be sure to make your quote count!

I am a former pastry chef and know what it takes to pull off a great wedding cake. But my fiancee won't allow me to make our cake. This is where you come in...

There are a lot of great pastry people who are out of work right now, and a lot of other excellent and talented "cake people" who are entirely capable of pulling this off.

Please give me some idea of the types of cakes you've done in the past, along with pricing, your web site, photo portfolio of some of your creations, and anything else you believe is relevant.

We are extremely well-connected here in Honolulu and if you do a great job, we will make sure you get a lot of business...

Mahalo for your time... we'll stand by to hear from you...

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
Compensation: Pay based on an incredibly delicious outcome...

PostingID: 1298211630

29 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 3:51am
post #2 of 30

The funny thing is, they will probably get a lot of responses.

At least they're not looking for cake for 200 for $50. I've seen some people on the local Craigslist looking for deals like that.

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 4:33am
post #3 of 30

With twitter, facebook, myspace etc etc...everyone is well connected..and if they're a former pastry chef then they know why the prices are the way they are. She's definitely asking for a cake wreck lol.

txsteph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txsteph Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 4:57am
post #4 of 30

If she has such great connections & is a former pastry chef, then shouldn't she have a few people in mind she wants to do her cake? I know if I had those connections, I would not be looking on craigslist for someone to make my wedding cake, I would be on the phone with my supposed connections.

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 5:02am
post #5 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by txsteph

If she has such great connections & is a former pastry chef, then shouldn't she have a few people in mind she wants to do her cake? I know if I had those connections, I would not be looking on craigslist for someone to make my wedding cake, I would be on the phone with my supposed connections.

I was just thinking the same! icon_rolleyes.gif

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 5:05am
post #6 of 30

Sounds like some kind of a set up to me..

HD maybe?

Boofycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Boofycakes Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 5:07am
post #7 of 30

what a joke... icon_razz.gif

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 5:10am
post #8 of 30

icon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gif Yeah right! :p

Motta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motta Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 2:09pm
post #9 of 30

That's just low class in so many ways.

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 2:27pm
post #10 of 30

Hmmmm, a pastry chef with a fiance that won't let her make her own cake - is she truly a pastry chef or a wannabe?

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 2:32pm
post #11 of 30

Possibly a joke, either way an embarassment to such a lovely state. icon_biggrin.gif

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 2:33pm
post #12 of 30

That's kind of a slap in the face to all pastry chefs maybe thats why her friends want help her and she has to post on Craigslist I'm not even a pastry chef and find it offensive I just do this as a hobby

Molly

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 2:33pm
post #13 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTFundraiser

Hmmmm, a pastry chef with a fiance that won't let her make her own cake - is she truly a pastry chef or a wannabe?

Um, like she worked in a kitchen once? She iced donuts at Dunkin' Donuts maybe?

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 2:44pm
post #14 of 30

Did anyone catch where it said "Pay based on a n incredibly delicious outcome."??? Does that mean you won't get paid until AFTER the cake is eaten? Sounds like a scam to me.

snowboarder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowboarder Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 3:47pm
post #15 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by juleskaye518

my fiancee won't allow me to make our cake.

lol

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 3:56pm
post #16 of 30

Too funny - I'm decidedly NOT a professional, but the first thing my boyfriend did when we started talking about a wedding is volunteer me to make the cake (I vetoed that LOL)

At BEST, I may make some fancy schmancy cookies for party favors, but I'm not going to guarantee that will happen.

Cakebelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakebelle Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 11:17pm
post #17 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by miny

Quote:
Originally Posted by txsteph

I was just thinking the same! icon_rolleyes.gif

DITTO!

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 3:05am
post #18 of 30

I would have had to respond by asking her on what planet did she think she was from and if times are so tough for everyone, does she not think times are tough for the cake decorators too? Give me a break. She wants a lot of something for nothing and it's an insult that she would think she's doing a FAVOR for the person who makes her over-indulgent dream cake for her "fairy-tale dream" wedding.... UGH, some PEOPLE! Makes you want to smack them.

Denise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denise Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 3:10am
post #19 of 30

I'm with everyone else...pastry chef my eye. If she was a pastry chef she would KNOW people who would perhaps swap cakes with her..."you make my cake I'll make yours" kinda thing.

What a load of horse poo - My horse poos out more poop than you can imagine...I think she has been eating way too much alfalfa. icon_evil.gif

sugarcheryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarcheryl Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 4:26am
post #20 of 30

I do not believe she is a pastry chef. She just can not be one. That just do not make sense. She will pay someone little to nothing yet she suppose to know what it takes to make a cake and she has all these connections. Why not go to her connection instead of the craiglist.

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 7:28am
post #21 of 30

Maybe the "payment based on delicious outcome" is the evolution of pricing. Weigh the cake before serving and weigh the uneaten portions that are returned, and payment is based on the difference -- 26 pounds of cake eaten at $10 a pound is $260.

marknelliesmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marknelliesmum Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 8:52am
post #22 of 30
Quote:
Quote:

I am a former pastry chef and know what it takes to pull off a great wedding cake. But my fiancee won't allow me to make our cake.

says it all...he may love you but obviously doesn't fancy your cake on his special day mmmmh wonder why? maybe her 'killer cake' is a bit too literal for him icon_lol.giftapedshut.gif

I am a hobby baker but even someone with no training and minimal talent like me could manage a simple yet elegant design - i wouldn't dream of letting someone do a cake for me now (why miss out on the fun, stress and pride when it's finished?). I just can't imagine a trained pastry chef allowing someone else to make the cake...or is it just me that is a total control freak?

SandraVB79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraVB79 Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 9:38am
post #23 of 30

Well, I can imagine not doing it because of the stress level and MYSELF deciding not to do it. Not only will it be your own cake, I can only imagine a wedding brings quite some stress about other factors.

But when your fiance says not to do it, something is off, lol!

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 10:04am
post #24 of 30

Some folks just don't know when to not embarrass themselves.

marknelliesmum Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 11:55am
post #25 of 30
Quote:
Quote:

Some folks just don't know when to not embarrass themselves

was this directed at me or the 'pastry chef'?

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 12:26pm
post #26 of 30

Sounds like the beginnings of a wonderful marriage - not being "allowed" to do something by her future spouse...wow. And she's still marrying him. icon_confused.gif

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 12:35pm
post #27 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by marknelliesmum

Quote:
Quote:

Some folks just don't know when to not embarrass themselves

was this directed at me or the 'pastry chef'?

Definately NOT you! icon_smile.gif

marknelliesmum Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 1:01pm
post #28 of 30

Phew! icon_lol.gif

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 4:23pm
post #29 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretb

Weigh the cake before serving and weigh the uneaten portions that are returned, and payment is based on the difference -- 26 pounds of cake eaten at $10 a pound is $260.

I'm copyrighting this idea right now!

I will be starting a new trend called "leftover cakes" and it's going to be all the rage.

"The perfect cake selection for the cheapskate brides!"

Leftover Surprise! - Can't choose a flavor? Well no worries, with brides cutting corners these days they are returning left over cake! You will get cake mashed together and refrosted for your special day. Lemon, chocolate, white... it's all in there. It will be like a party in your mouth and you never get the same bite twice! The Leftover Surprise cake is sold for a low low cost of .75 per serving.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 5:44pm
post #30 of 30

Lol. That sounds so gross!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%