Forget Julie & Julia... This Is Elisa & Lisa!!

Decorating By DefyGravity Updated 11 Aug 2009 , 1:31am by iownajane

DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 2:22am
post #1 of 10

Today I picked up Confetti Cakes by Elisa Strauss. My bookstore didn't have a great selection, but her book seems to have a great variety (cookies, cupcakes, mini cakes, tier cakes) which was exactly what I was looking for. I really like her style, it seems clean and neat and exactly how I'd like to be when I have talent someday. icon_razz.gif

Inspired by the move Julie & Julia, I'm going to decorate my way through Ms. Strauss's book. Some seem pretty doable, others I am really going to push myself through. But, I think that doing this is going to push me past where I am now (Wilton Course 3 grad. Woohoo!! icon_rolleyes.gif ) into a much better decorator.

If you have the book (or heck, even if you don't), I'd appreciate any and all criticisms you have for me.

9 replies
enoid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enoid Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 2:46am
post #2 of 10

Sounds like fun and very yummy. Please remember to post pictures as you work your way through. When it comes to baking it is always good to go outside our comfort zone. Good luck and happy baking.

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 2:48am
post #3 of 10

I have that book (signed) and love it. And no, I didn't get to meet her, but my friend went to NY and took her private lesson that she offers. She took my book with her and Elisa signed it! I'm excited to see what you do, AND see the Julia & Julie movie!

Have fun,

ZAKIA6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZAKIA6 Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 2:53am
post #4 of 10

Good luck!! I've taken classes with her and have both her books. She really explains things well you'll do great!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 5:48am
post #5 of 10

Elisa is a beautiful lady.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 1:30pm
post #6 of 10

Cute idea! Start your own little blog or something. And then email Tyra Banks or something! I'm sure she would put you on her TV show for something like that. Too cute!

DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 7:39pm
post #7 of 10

Thanks for the encouragement icon_smile.gif

cylstrail, my blog is going to be: cakesfromlisa.blogspot.com

I looked through the book today with fresh eyes, and there are a lot of them that are definitely going to give me a run for my money! I'll probably do all the cookies at the same time, just for simplicity's sake. 42 different things in that book... yowza. I've never worked with gum paste before and many of the cakes call for it. I guess its time to learn!

kilikina_24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kilikina_24 Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 8:38pm
post #8 of 10

That is such a cute and fun idea!! I've wanted to do something like this but with dinner foods (I guess a little more like the movie...) for a loooong time now. My family is so picky though I'm afraid a lot of food will go wasted icon_sad.gif

Have fun!! I can't wait to see the pics!

cakesweetiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesweetiecake Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 1:33am
post #9 of 10

Great idea. I have a cookbook that I've had for a while now. There are so many recipes that I want to try. I have been considering cooking through the book and just trying everything. You really have me giving this even more thought! LOL!

iownajane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iownajane Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 1:31am
post #10 of 10

You'll love the book...It was one of the first I bought...I make her Red Velvet over and over ...the bow directions are fantastic...it's a super book!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%