8.07.09 Friday Night Cake Club

Decorating By korensmommy Updated 8 Aug 2009 , 6:49pm by korensmommy

korensmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korensmommy Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 1:59am
post #1 of 32

I know LeahS always starts this thread but I just wanted to check if anyone else was out there caking!

I am making my son's 6th birthday cake. Nothing too fancy, he designed it himself! Star Wars theme 1/4 sheet w/ a half ball pan death star on top. My husband is making fondant x-wings and Luke Skywalker.

Did I mention I live in southern Louisiana and my A/C broke a few days ago? We are melting in here!

31 replies
pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 2:04am
post #2 of 32

Sorry to hear bout your a/c. I've been there in Florida heat. I'm done for the night. Did a spongebob cake and a mini smash cake. That's all I had this week. I'm designing my daughters cake for the 30th, Madagascar theme. I have literally done 7 sketches, and can't decided which one I love the most!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 2:15am
post #3 of 32

mmm . . . yes. I was getting ready to call us to order.

enoid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enoid Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 2:21am
post #4 of 32

I feel your pain about the a/c. It is suppose to be 94 here tomorrow and 97 on Sunday.

I made a 1/2 sheet cake for a fundraiser the Lutheran churches in town are hosting for local flood victims from last summer's flooding here in Iowa.

korensmommy Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 2:38am
post #5 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

mmm . . . yes. I was getting ready to call us to order.

Sorry! Hope I didn't jump the gun.
Had to complain to someone about slowly melting in my own home.......

AnnaJo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnaJo Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 2:58am
post #6 of 32

Hi I'm new to CC just being here for about 4 months now and just got hooked to CC about two weeks ago. Now I'm on everyday, day and has you can see night too. I don't know there was a Firday Cake Club. This is nice, I have someone to share my cake of the day story with.

I was making a cake for my husband today. I got a recipe from a Peruvian (he is Peruvian & wanted a Peruvian cake) website for an "angel cake" well the cake seem a bit hard to me but I was going to use it anyway, short story short. As I was leveling the dumm cake with the Wilton lever I cut myself. Well then I say the hell with the dam lever and use a knife and cut myself again. After the second cut I said the hell with it no cake for you today.

Next time I'm just going to use a recipe from here.

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 2:58am
post #7 of 32

Sorry to hear about your A/C I hope it gets fixed soon I'm making gum paste flowers for a cake next week

Molly

Lynnzee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lynnzee Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 2:59am
post #8 of 32

I to have been without ac in Florida. It is the worst!! But it makes the ac feel that much better when it gets turned back on!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 3:11am
post #9 of 32

Did a 4 tier cake today for tomorrow ... iced and decorated. Also doing the catering for the wedding, so LOTS of food prep today. over 300 stuffed shells (300 pasta shells + 40 lbs of sausage + 10 lbs of shredded cheese + the marinara sauce..... and I hand-stuffed every dang one of 'em!!), 50 lbs of chicken with 3 big bottles of wine, 48 lbs each of green beans, corn and baby potatoes. Have a lunch catering to drop off before the wedding, so I made chicken salad and tuna salad croissants for 40, made up 40 individual lettuce salads and will make 40 individual soups tomorrow.

I'm beat and I'm only just beginning. Gotta pick up the extra truck I need by 7:30 a.m. (Who's the dumba$$ that said 7:30 a.m. was ok? Oh wait ... that would be me. icon_redface.gif )

My mantra this whole week has been "If I can just get thru Saturday .....!" icon_biggrin.gif

lorijom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorijom Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 3:18am
post #10 of 32

Indy I don't know how you do it all...I only had one bridal shower cake for today and have 3 tastings this weekend and I am exhausted tonight!! Just started my business one month ago and I am so swamped with phone calls, e-mails, and tastings that I almost forget it's about making the cake icon_smile.gif Decided today that on Friday's the phone goes on voice mail so I can get something done!

nanikins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanikins Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 3:21am
post #11 of 32

3 bottles of wine?? That was for the chicken, right? icon_twisted.gif

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 3:25am
post #12 of 32

nanikins

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Molly

mavreader Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mavreader Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 3:43am
post #13 of 32

I recently made a great friend here on CC, auntbeesbaking. She told me about this Friday Night Cake Club. So I decided to try it out. I'm 16 years old and have gone through all the Wilton Classes. I am also a guy, so I usually get ridiculed that I'd rather ice a cake than toss a football. But I love what I do, so I really don't care. Anyways, this week I have a Wilton Course 2 Finale Cake for my best friend (i posted a pic of the first one I did) and a clown themed cake. icon_smile.gif not too much

korensmommy Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 3:46am
post #14 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Did a 4 tier cake today for tomorrow ... iced and decorated. Also doing the catering for the wedding, so LOTS of food prep today. over 300 stuffed shells (300 pasta shells + 40 lbs of sausage + 10 lbs of shredded cheese + the marinara sauce..... and I hand-stuffed every dang one of 'em!!), 50 lbs of chicken with 3 big bottles of wine, 48 lbs each of green beans, corn and baby potatoes. Have a lunch catering to drop off before the wedding, so I made chicken salad and tuna salad croissants for 40, made up 40 individual lettuce salads and will make 40 individual soups tomorrow.

Mmmmm.....I'll be over tomorrow for lunch to eat the leftovers!
Have any of that wine left?!

3SheetCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3SheetCakes Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 4:04am
post #15 of 32

Good evening everyone! I'm working on two wedding cakes tonight. They are fairly simple, but I still have a lot to do. I should not be reading the CC forums but I just can't help it. I'm so addicted!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 4:04am
post #16 of 32

I'm not baking anything tonight. The most I might do is make a batch of Nick Lodge gumpaste and cut some boards for my daughter's cake but I walked too much yesterday (a bit of shopping overdose) and my legs are so sore I may leave everything for tomorrow. I'm turning into such a wimp!

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 4:14am
post #17 of 32

This is the first time I've joined the Friday night cake club! I just have to make my icing and fill my layers and then in the morning I'll ice it and assemble the bow for the topper. I made all of my bow loops and #2 topper earlier this week and then today, crazy me, I sat and punched out confetti for the darn thing. I know no 2 year old is going to care that I sat there for an hour and hand made the confetti for her cake just so it would match the colors in the bow!

It'll be a cute cake minus the horrible Barney and friends I have to add to it.

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 4:26am
post #18 of 32

My first time, too!
I'm doing my daughter's birthday cake for her party tomorrow. Lucky it's just a simple thing & all that's left is the figure and a few details.

Indydebi is making me hungry, though!

Texas_Rose Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 4:27am
post #19 of 32

I love making confetti that way...especially neat shapes. I have punches that make a variety of flowers, and I also have trains, helicoptors, cars and planes icon_biggrin.gif If you let the fondant dry a bit before you punch them out, it works a lot better.

sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 4:39am
post #20 of 32

Hi, I'm new too. I hope no one minds me joining in. I'm very new to caking and am currently making gumpaste flowers to go on my mum's birthday cake next weekend. It will be my first fondant covered cake. Wish me luck.

Oh, and also, I'm in Australia and it's Saturday afternoon here! icon_smile.gif

txsteph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txsteph Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 5:19am
post #21 of 32

I just finished up 2 cakes for a very close friends son. He is turning 18 tomorrow & then ships out to the Army on Sunday, so it is a birthday & going away party for him. I uploaded the pics to my photos if you want to see. It is the Army logo & flag cakes. I just do cakes for friends & family, so there are blemishes, but I am getting better! These turned out almost just like I planned! LOL

mjballinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjballinger Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 5:39am
post #22 of 32

I don't know if I've ever posted on a Friday night cake club or not. Whatever the case may be, I'm glad I'm not alone. lol. I'm soooo tired. I am making cupcakes for a cupcake tower for my niece's wedding reception tomorrow. I just started working full time again a few weeks ago after being a stay at home mom for 10 years and I really miss having time to do cakes!!
So far I've made 3 dozen banana cuppies with strawberry filling, 3 dozen pineapple cuppies with banana filling and 6 dozen white cuppies and I'm not sure what I'm doing with them yet! The pineapple/banana cuppies are to mimic a dessert that my niece loves, I am making a vanilla pudding/whipped topping icing for them. All of the cuppies are going to have a fondant flower (just a simple 5 petal flower - I haven't even started them yet!!!). Then they'll be on the tower with a mixture of graham cracker crumbs, brown sugar and some gold sprinkles to look like sand. I also got some shells to decorate the tower with. It's a luau themed wedding reception.
Did I mention how tired I am?

AnnaJo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnaJo Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 5:48am
post #23 of 32

mjballinger I feel your pain I did cupcakes last week for my kids and OMG I think that is more work then doing a cake. If I ever get an order for cupcakes it will be a high price on that.

mjballinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjballinger Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 5:51am
post #24 of 32

AnnaJo, you're exactly right! They just seem to take a lot of time, especially when they're filled and there is a fondant or gumpaste flower on top! I'll never understand why people think they're so much easier! Give me a cake I can torte and spread filling on and then ice and even fondant......
Honestly though, sometimes I love doing cupcakes. I think I'm just so tired that I'm not going to enjoy any baking!!

dutchy1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dutchy1971 Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 6:14am
post #25 of 32

I have 2 cakes for tomorrow, a pig cake for a friends 30th b-day bash and a small Football Crest oops sorry soccer icon_smile.gif for another friends birthday. I just mixed up my last batch of MMF so I can get up and finish them both in the morning

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 7:18am
post #26 of 32

My step-daughter's BFF is getting married tomorrow, and of course, my assignment was to do the cake. I just finished this topper. It's amazing what a bit of pearl dust will do. I absolutely hated this until I applied it. Dragonflies are iridescent, anyway, so it was required.

The insects are oversized, because everything small melts in my hands (hot mama, here). I went with a dragonfly pattern found in nature, and added my own twists to them.

Theresa icon_smile.gif
LL

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 11:32am
post #27 of 32

that topper is fab! absolutly amazing icon_smile.gif

i just had a fruit cake, lemon cake and another 300 tiny blossoms to make for a wedding cake next week. only another 200 more to make - thank god they are just plunger cutter blossoms shaped using a throat tool so dead quick and easy.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 12:40pm
post #28 of 32

Thanks, Cathy24!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 5:51pm
post #29 of 32

thanks for the tip Texas_Rose! I figured out that it worked better to roll out the fondant pretty thin and just let it dry out. It worked great! I was initially using an piping tip but I hated the results. Then I realized that I had a brand new, unopened hole punch. I'll have to find some different shaped punches so I can make more. I really love how the cake turned out!

Texas_Rose Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 5:58pm
post #30 of 32

Those little cheap scrapbook punches work the best...the ones that Michaels has in a bin near the registers for a dollar each. Sometimes Target has them too...I have a tiny leaf that is one of my favorites for fall...last year I made broom-shaped cookies and then put a little pile of leaves on the bottom of each one.

I have a Martha Stewart snowflake punch that works nicely too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%