To All Ccers!

Decorating By diane Updated 13 Aug 2009 , 1:58am by miss-tiff

diane Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 1:22am
post #1 of 40

can everyone here, when they come on cc, go to the gallery and comment on one cake...at least one, every time you log on???

there is soo many cakes, and so few gallery supporters. many of the cakes are by newbies, and those who are just starting out, and they really need our support. if you are a pro and have been doing cakes for a while, you know how it is when you first started out. i think that's why cc was started...and it remains to be a free place for all of us!

lets please all try and help out those who are struggling to learn!

-thanks!! thumbs_up.gif

39 replies
cylstrial Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 1:51am
post #2 of 40

I'm with ya!

diane Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 2:01am
post #3 of 40

oh...i just wanted to say that i've never had the privilege to attend any type of cake classes...i've had to rely on dvds, videos, books, and most of all Cake Central (military wife). It's because of this site and the people here, that i've been able to do many of the techniques, icings, etc.

If it wasn't for this site, I'd be years away from where i am now.

just wanted to share! icon_wink.gif

xstitcher Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 5:36am
post #4 of 40

I'm with ya 2 and I think it was a great idea to start this post. icon_smile.gif

Mensch Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 6:09am
post #5 of 40

icon_rolleyes.gif

GenGen Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 6:21am
post #6 of 40

i do! i comment on dozens and dozens almost every day! sometimes if time has it goes well past hundred.. i ca't even tell ya the count honestly.

Alicakes Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 6:42am
post #7 of 40

I'm a newbie and love the comments I have recieved so far. We all know that we can be our own worst critic and we need others comments and compliments to make us feel it is all worth while. Thanks for this forum Diane.

Best Cuppies,

Andrea
Ali Cakes

xstitcher Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 6:46am
post #8 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mensch

icon_rolleyes.gif

??

costumeczar Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 1:10pm
post #9 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstitcher

Quote:

icon_rolleyes.gif

??

icon_confused.gif

Mensch Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 1:33pm
post #10 of 40

icon_evil.gif

icer101 Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 1:45pm
post #11 of 40

i have alway commented on lots of cakes each day that i get on this site.. some new cake decorators .some pro's... i read some of these threads... i shake my head... at the ones that try to be mean.. i just can,t believe ..it is always the same people.. i even p/m the person... that was mean to.. to up lift them on behalf of this site..i just can,t believe the remarks that i do read.. been on here 3 yrs.. always the same people.. that tries to be mean..

kakeladi Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 1:50pm
post #12 of 40

I usually try to comment on one entire page of un-commented several times a week icon_smile.gif

marknelliesmum Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 2:15pm
post #13 of 40

Just a suggestion (please nobody shout at me!) would it be possible to distinguish between cakes that require a critical comment and cakes being added just to put them in your personal gallery and/or share an idea. Many of the comments are lovely but not critical and done by gallery members frantically trying to comment on an endless number of pics (bless them). Wouldn't it be better use of their time if they could focus on cakes where critical feedback has been requested - that way the decorator would get constructive feedback and be able to improve their skills and the gallery members wouldn't be under so much pressure to make a comment just so people don't get annoyed that their cake was missed. Yes it's lovely to get comments about your cakes but is the purpose of the comments to boost the decorators ego or for them to learn - i'd much rather once in a while ask for critical feedback on a cake and get constructive help while still having the chance to upload my cakes in the hope (big hope lol) that someone may get some inspiration or an idea based on what i had done rather than have lots of pics with 'lovely colours' or ' great idea' or similar. (That is in NO WAY meant as a dig at gallery supporters) Just a thought! thumbs_up.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 4:05pm
post #14 of 40

I opted out of gallery supporter membership awhile back. I don't like having all the cookies and tifs it drops on my hardrive. I work from laptops and battery life isn't great when scanning through pics. Now that the Most Saved (formerly known as Most Popular) filmstrip is back, you bet, I comment on the ones that catch my eye and look professionally done. As that is what I strive for, therefore those are the pics I concentrate on. I suppose I will be branded as a meany for that comment, but I'm not, because I am allllllll over the forums where people ask for help. That's where I leave my comments and answers and offer advice and do my questioning as well. icon_smile.gif

mjk350 Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 4:10pm
post #15 of 40

I always try to comment every time I come on here. thumbs_up.gif

LaBellaFlor Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 6:03pm
post #16 of 40

I guess my question would be do people want compliments or critiques? I hear people say they want critiques, but I don't think they REALLY want constructive critiscism, more like pat on the backs. I comment on the ones that are done well and are unique,but I don't critique them. I guess it would be good to have seperate galleries for that.

xstitcher Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 7:05pm
post #17 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by marknelliesmum

Just a suggestion (please nobody shout at me!) would it be possible to distinguish between cakes that require a critical comment and cakes being added just to put them in your personal gallery and/or share an idea. Many of the comments are lovely but not critical and done by gallery members frantically trying to comment on an endless number of pics (bless them). Wouldn't it be better use of their time if they could focus on cakes where critical feedback has been requested - that way the decorator would get constructive feedback and be able to improve their skills and the gallery members wouldn't be under so much pressure to make a comment just so people don't get annoyed that their cake was missed. Yes it's lovely to get comments about your cakes but is the purpose of the comments to boost the decorators ego or for them to learn - i'd much rather once in a while ask for critical feedback on a cake and get constructive help while still having the chance to upload my cakes in the hope (big hope lol) that someone may get some inspiration or an idea based on what i had done rather than have lots of pics with 'lovely colours' or ' great idea' or similar. (That is in NO WAY meant as a dig at gallery supporters) Just a thought! thumbs_up.gif

We actually have a group for that. It's in the Gallery Supporters Forum. The title of the thread is Critique Sub Group Members. Your welcome to join anytime. If you read the 1st page it will tell you what is required and how we go about "critiquing".

Eisskween Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 7:32pm
post #18 of 40

I prefer honesty. If there is something wrong and you know a way to do it better, I appreciate feed back like that.

Just saying "great job" is nice to hear; or if you say, "your cake is ugly," that serves no purpose. But an honest critique is what I appreciate most. And the occasional "great job" is nice too. icon_wink.gif

For example: if one of my cakes has the infamous bulging at the filling lines, telling me that I should dam before filling is helpful. Telling me it looks sloppy isn't helping me solve the problem. Telling me I did a good job when there is obviously problems, isn't helping me solve them.

Just my humble opinion. icon_biggrin.gif

Good question!

FromScratch Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 7:56pm
post #19 of 40
Quote:

icon_evil.gif

thumbs_up.gif

I'm with ya!

LaBellaFlor Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 8:27pm
post #20 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratch

Quote:

icon_evil.gif

thumbs_up.gif

I'm with ya!

Can't even lie, even though I know some won't like it, but so agree as well. thumbs_up.gif

Cristi-Tutty Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 8:47pm
post #21 of 40

I'm a newbie and so far I have received three comments and I love to get them but I also will like to get critics because that will help me to get better. Every picture I have post here are from my classes so I guess that when I really start to make my own that will be a challenge. So please anything you can say about my cakes will be a help to improve.

Thank you for your helpYou will be my teachers
icon_smile.gif

marknelliesmum Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 9:12pm
post #22 of 40

xstitcher wrote:

Quote:
Quote:

We actually have a group for that. It's in the Gallery Supporters Forum. The title of the thread is Critique Sub Group Members. Your welcome to join anytime. If you read the 1st page it will tell you what is required and how we go about "critiquing".

Could the people who desperately want critical feedback not just use this then? Maybe i'm wrong but the more i read on here it seems like some people take it as a personal insult if their pics are not commented on. Many folk don't have time to spend making wishy-washy comments, and really if it is not genuine critical feedback what is the point? I'd much rather get a comment from someone because they genuinely like my cake or want to know more about what i did rather than a comment just to make me feel good. Yes, i agree we all need encouragement when we are starting out and as a hobby baker i'm still learning but surely the pleasure is found in making the cake and learning something new from others not by someone saying 'good job' or 'great colours'. Just my opinion.

Mensch Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 9:15pm
post #23 of 40

Well said!

MelissaMay Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 9:43pm
post #24 of 40

I agree, I would much rather have thoughtful, constructive critiscm than comments that are less meaningful just because they "have to" comment.

CakestyleIN Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 10:21pm
post #25 of 40

I'm a newbie, and I have spent a lot of time viewing others pics w/out leaving comments icon_redface.gif . I will make more of an effort to post a comment, but since I'm very new to cake decorating, I really don't know all the tips and tricks (but thank goodness for CC!). I guess I can copy and paste what I'm sure my comment would be every time.. "wow, wish I could do that!" icon_rolleyes.gif I don't take it personally when people don't post comments.. I check to see how many views one of my cakes has gotten and figure- good or bad, my cake grabbed someones attention enough to click on the thumbnail to view it icon_biggrin.gif !!

diane Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 5:55pm
post #26 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by marknelliesmum

this is a great idea, but my thing is some cakes have tons of people viewing them and saving them, but not one comment on the cake. if it's good enough to look at and save, it's good enough to comment on. icon_smile.gif

Mensch Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 6:02pm
post #27 of 40

Isn't a saved picture enough validation for you?

I would rather have a pic saved and no comment, than no save and a comment of 'nice cake'.

diane Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 6:54pm
post #28 of 40
Quote:

Isn't a saved picture enough validation for you?

I would rather have a pic saved and no comment, than no save and a comment of 'nice cake'.

actually...for me...i don't care either way, but i'm talking about others, not myself.

Mensch Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 8:03pm
post #29 of 40

Okay, I guess I interpreted your post wrong. I thought you were talking about you!

3GCakes Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 8:14pm
post #30 of 40

For me, just having people "view" my cakes is cool. I like to keep track of views more than anything.

Not a big fan of "Cute Cake!" under my photos.....

Just like I would post a picture of myself and my unique, exotic beautifulness to get a comment as "cute girl"....nah... icon_biggrin.gif

If I were a gallery supporter, I'd want to put up "REAL" comments, not "MASS" comments.

And in the interim, I'd LOVE for people to tell ME about THEIR cakes when they post them. NO description for me means no comment wanted. TELL me...is it fondant? buttercream? any insights? I think the best way to educate people is to post a brilliant cake and tell everyone how you made it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%