Pre-Quote Pricing Help Pretty Please!

Business By karateka Updated 8 Aug 2009 , 11:38pm by LaBellaFlor

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 1:01am
post #1 of 16

I need to quote someone on a quarter sheet with the golden gate bridge on top (3D gumpaste structure) and some boats in the water, cars on the bridge.

I was initially thinking $100 without multiple cars and boats....but am not sure how to charge for those, seeing as they'd be really small. So.....minor detailing, but potentially many little things....sounds labor intensive.

If any of you have an idea to pass on, I'd appreciate any input.

15 replies
LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 1:14am
post #2 of 16

I'm not sure how many your 1/4 sheet feeds, cause everyone's 1/4 sheet is not the same size,but with what your talking about, can I buy cakes from you so I can sell them? icon_wink.gif I guess that might be fair, but then again THE Golden Gate Bridge (I'm from the Bay Area) is not going to be easy, on top of boats in the water, and just covering it in "water" is not going to be easy. I think it might go foe more. How many does your 1/4 sheet feed.

karateka Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 1:31am
post #3 of 16

My quarter sheet is a 9x13, so about 25 servings.

What would you suggest? I don't want to underprice myself again. I do that too easily.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 1:32am
post #4 of 16

A 9x13? Single layer? That will feed 24-ish people 2x2 slices (4 rows cut 6 times across). So your base price times that then extra for the bridge. I'd charge a decent amount for a 3-D gumpaste replica of the Golden Gate Bridge... $50+ at least.

LaBellaFlor Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 1:38am
post #5 of 16

I'm sorry, I forgot 1 more question, do you do just an actual sheet of cake, or do you do it like a regular cake, you know 2 sheets with filling, so its 4 inches high? I'm, just going to go off if you did it like a regular filled cake, so 25 servings I'm goinna assume its buttercream, I don't usually price individual gum paste pieces, but this is a little different, this is a bid piece, I couldn't do it fo no less then $175. I say no less, cause I just keep thinking of how hard it is going to be to make that bridge. They would have to pay me for that bridge, seriously...at least compensate me for my fear of that challenge!

LaBellaFlor Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 1:40am
post #6 of 16

I was thinking at least $50-75 for the bridge as well. Can't wait to see it though. icon_biggrin.gif

karateka Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 1:49am
post #7 of 16

I was thinking a sheet....single layer cut into 2x2 in pieces. Since it would be decorated as the harbor, I would charge my $3/serving price to make $72. THe bridge I was originally thinking $25, but I tend to underprice gumpaste figures..... so wouldn't be averse to charging more.

I wasn't sure how to price the ancillary boats and the cars on the bridge. So many cents or dollars each? How would you do that? They'd have to be fairly small, with maybe a couple of larger boats in the water.

LaBellaFlor Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 1:54am
post #8 of 16

With out the bridge I just get a flat rate in my head of $125 to cover boats, water, etc. and then added $50 for the bridge, so I get $175. Depending on how long you think its going to take you and how hard it may be to make that bridge is why I said maybe even $75 for the bridge

LaBellaFlor Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 1:58am
post #9 of 16

Oh, wait a minute, I jst saw you said single layer, I take my pricing back. I do $3 for buttercream as well, but thats for 2 layers with filling. I don't know how to price for a single layer. Sorry, my pricing may be too high. I know some may disagree and say a single layer should cost just as much, but I don't agree. I do say price what you think its worth though.

FromScratch Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 12:43pm
post #10 of 16

I'd do a flat charge of $30 or so dollars for the ancillary boats and cars. Mini does not equal discount in my book. Small details can be a real pain to do. I'd quote no less than $160.

FromScratch Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 4:13pm
post #11 of 16

If it's not filled then I think it should be discounted too. I don't do sheetcakes, but my base price for partys cakes is $3.75/serving. I'd say $3/serving for a sheet cake is more than fair. icon_smile.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 4:46pm
post #12 of 16

As soon as "3-D"comes into the conversation my base price is $150. Don't even think about how many servings it's going to be, think about the fact that in this case, you're being paid for the bridge sculpture. And those ALWAYS take a heck of a lot longer to do than you think it will! icon_wink.gif

karateka Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 5:00pm
post #13 of 16

My base price for 2 layer decorated cakes is $3/serving. She only wanted enough cake to feed 15.

I told her I couldn't do less than 25, which is my minimum order, and that a sheet cake with the gumpaste bridge would be the best looking option.

I agree that a single layer cake shouldn't cost as much, but since it's decorated as the harbor, with cars and such, I thought not too much of a discount.

You are correct in that those structures always take more time than anticipated. I'm so bad at this type of quote. I tend to underprice myself and resent it later.

I ended up quoting $145. If I ever hear from her again I'll be surprised. I get a lot of inquiries from people wanting these "centerpiece" cakes, but am very seldom taken up on it. I guess they expect me to do it for $20 since I'm a home baker? Who knows?

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 5:23pm
post #14 of 16

Well let us know what happens! Hopefully, she'll call you back! But if she doesn't, at least you didn't cheat yourself out of money!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 9:04pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by karateka

I ended up quoting $145. If I ever hear from her again I'll be surprised. I get a lot of inquiries from people wanting these "centerpiece" cakes, but am very seldom taken up on it. I guess they expect me to do it for $20 since I'm a home baker? Who knows?

That's exactly right...They need a reality check on pricing and what goes into a cake like that. They have no idea.

LaBellaFlor Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 11:38pm
post #16 of 16

That was a nice price, cause I know that bridge would have been some work.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%