What Kind Of Buttercream Do You Use?

Decorating By morgnscakes Updated 19 Aug 2009 , 12:00pm by Cheyanne25

morgnscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morgnscakes Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 12:35am
post #1 of 39

I am in search of the ultimate in opinions and experience.

I have watched several shows where either SMBC or IMBC is mostly used...both by itself or under buttercream. I have noticed that most nationally recognized cake designers prefer to use SMBC or IMBC and fondant. However, when I first started doing cakes and most of the cake decorators around here use American Buttercream (shortening, powdered sugar based).

My question is...What buttercream do you use and prefer? And why?

38 replies
tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 12:51am
post #2 of 39

I use a combination of Sugarshack's and indydebi's recipes. They are both on this site. However, they both use an all shortening recipe, and my tasters prefer a half-butter/half-shortening blend. I rarely have occasion to make "pure white" BC, so I like the butter in there. It crusts and smooths very well.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 12:57am
post #3 of 39

now this all depends on what you need it for...crusting, non-crusting etc.
there are several good recipes here. icon_wink.gif

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 5:42am
post #4 of 39

I like Indydebi's and the cream cheese buttercream from designmeacake.com.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 12:14pm
post #5 of 39

IMBC. I don't care for shortening based frostings.

Mike

klat7292 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klat7292 Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 12:38pm
post #6 of 39

Sugarshack all the way!! thumbs_up.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 12:40pm
post #7 of 39

My own b'cream recipe which is similar to Sugarshack's.

dnrlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dnrlee Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 12:48pm
post #8 of 39

I use Kaye's Buttercream from the Whimsical Bakehouse. Not too sweet, very light and great for decorating. Will hold up in warmer and humid climates too.

CakeDiane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiane Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 12:50pm
post #9 of 39

I LOVE Indydebi's recipe--

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 1:10pm
post #10 of 39

Sugarshack's.

tbittner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tbittner Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 1:14pm
post #11 of 39

I use Sugarshack's (MUST use High Ratio shortening!) for everyday decorating and I use Kaye's from WBH under fondant.

Such good recipe's!!!

Tracy

Marci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marci Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 1:14pm
post #12 of 39

I make a very simple buttercream.... 1 pound butter to 1 pound powdered sugar and then a touch of vanilla. If I am making a cake for sitting outside (I do a few kid's pool party cake a month in the summer) then I do 1/2 butter and 1/2 shortening. I hate the mouth feel of shortening so I don't use it if I don't have too. I never use a swiss or italian buttercream because I don't like to have egg whites sitting out at room temperature... food safety is very important to me.

tbittner Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 1:26pm
post #13 of 39

Just to add, Kaye's recipe calls for heating up the egg whites so they are not a danger to anyone. If you are really worried you can always use pasteurized eggs .

http://www.whimsicalbakehouse.com/bake/bake_detail_no_photo.html

Tracy

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 2:11pm
post #14 of 39

Is the wbh recipe touchy? I've never used it before but it looks good.

tbittner Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 2:22pm
post #15 of 39

I have never had a problem with it, just follow the directions and you should be fine.
Make sure your egg white mixture is cool before adding your butter and shortening or it will be soupy. Sometimes I put an ice pack under my Kitchenaid bowl to help the process a little! Also a really good vanilla is important.
Tracy

calicopurr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calicopurr Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 6:59pm
post #16 of 39

So the heat of the sugar is boiling when you add it to the eggs?

tbittner Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 9:51pm
post #17 of 39

Yes, as stated in the directions,

"When the sugar comes to a boil set a timer for 7 minutes, and let boil."

You add it when it is thick and hot, the heat makes the whites safe.
Enjoy!
Tracy

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 12:06am
post #18 of 39

I pretty much found my buttercream recipe by accident. I use seven minute frosting for my coconut and s'more cupcakes. One day I was low on buttercream so I added some leftover seven minute to it. It made my buttercream lighter and less sickly sweet. (I am not a buttercream person)

morgnscakes Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 12:38am
post #19 of 39

It is so interesting to see what everyone prefers. I'm taking all of this in...most people around here love sweet stuff. So "american buttercream" -- shortening, butter, powdered sugar is what they all "say" they like. But when we do use IMBC, all of our clients seem to like it much better (give or take a few). I'm gonna have to look into the WBH recipe. I just looked at Cake Love recipe which is an IMBC. I guess I'll have to just offer all of them and let our clients pick which one they like better.

Keep those comments and opinions coming!!!!!

morgnscakes Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 8:05pm
post #20 of 39

Is there no one else who wants to help me with this? What do you use? what do you prefer? What do your clients prefer?

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 8:38pm
post #21 of 39

I use all three, for various applications. My dad really really loves American buttercream--I make it with all butter, salted, and it really cuts the sweetness down. My mother loves IMBC and SMBC pretty much equally, and I found out doing her birthday cake that not only is it an absolute dream to pipe with (except for the chocolate version! I wish I knew what I was doing wrong there...), you can freeze the flowers for ten minutes and make 'em rock-hard to get onto the cake easily. And fondant I use for whenever I feel like it, because it's cool to work with. I especially like to use it for accents, but I have no problem with covering a whole cake with it.

CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 8:38pm
post #22 of 39

I only use smbc... i do not like shortening or ps icings.... smbc imo is the best tasting icing Ive ever had! and will never go back

Musings9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Musings9 Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 9:02pm
post #23 of 39

I think you have to tailor the icing to your cake and filling. Personally, I use all three.

suzted7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzted7 Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 9:23pm
post #24 of 39

For me that's AgenCakeBaker's Buttercream Dream! I loooove it! Also, so far all my clients love it too. It's a perfect balance when you use both the salted and unsalted butter. Love it!

mrsmudrash Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmudrash Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 10:00pm
post #25 of 39

I have used SMBC and IMBC as well as the shortening/butter combo based buttercreams recipes from this site. I prefer the SMBC and IMBC type buttercreams, but wanted to find out what others prefer. I decided to do a taste test! icon_smile.gif I had made some cupcakes for a birthday party with IMBC and took with me a sample bag of the butter/shortening based buttercream for a taste test. While people were eating the IMBC cupcakes, I squeezed a spoonful of the amerian buttercream on their finger and EVERY person at the party (almost 20 people) said they prefer the IMBC because it was lighter and smooooooth (no powdered sugar texture or extra sweet taste)! On its own, the American buttercream is great! - but side by side to the meringue based buttercreams there is no comparison. Which is interesting because every successful cake designer who has a book out there usually almost always uses one of the meringue based buttercreams. Now, if you're concerned about heat...then you almost have to do a shortening based buttercream. But, if you can work with the temp and can make the IMBC or SMBC, your clients will LOVE it!!!

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 1:40am
post #26 of 39

I use my good ole, all shortening based, crusting BC. What the folks down here expect!

calicopurr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calicopurr Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 1:45am
post #27 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeandDazzle

I only use smbc... i do not like shortening or ps icings.... smbc imo is the best tasting icing Ive ever had! and will never go back

Do you use the 1, 2, 3 recipes from Dianne Bakes?

CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 2:06am
post #28 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by calicopurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeandDazzle

Do you use the 1, 2, 3 recipes from Dianne Bakes?

no i use marthas recipe well my version... 10 egg whites, 8 butter, but 3.5 cup sugar, but not really her directions lol... i cook the egg whites whip um then add cold butter....

morgnscakes Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 7:20am
post #29 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarshack

I use my good ole, all shortening based, crusting BC. What the folks down here expect!

how I do know that!!! I lived uptown NOLA and in Metairie for a total of 14 years!! They do love their sweet stuff!!!

mistymamas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mistymamas Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 6:23pm
post #30 of 39

I use indidebi's (which tastes GREAT) but am looking to try new recipes just to see whats out there. Keeep the posts coming people. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%