Vanilla Butter Cake From Mermaid Bakery-Cake Flour Vs Ap

Decorating By Pebbles1727 Updated 10 Aug 2009 , 2:03am by cakesweetiecake

Pebbles1727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pebbles1727 Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 12:28am
post #1 of 9

Hi everyone,
this is a question to those who use vanilla butter cake from Mermaid bakery- has anyone tried to sub cake flour for ap flour it calls? Did it work? How exactly do you do that: volume for volume, weight for weight? Do I need to adjust any other ingredients?
Thanks in advance, P

8 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 1:28pm
post #2 of 9

I've never subbed AP flour for that recipe - but I HATE cake flour. So I sub AP all the time.

Here's what you need to know:

Method 1 - If the recipe calls for 2 cups of cake flour, use 2 cups of AP - but remove 2 Tablespoons of all purpose flour for each cup of flour the recipe calls for. (So you would take 4 T out for this example).

Method 2 - If the recipe calls for 2 cups of cake flour - use 1 and 3/4 cups of AP and 1/4 cup cornstarch.

Hope this helps.

Pebbles1727 Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 6:16pm
post #3 of 9

Thank you, but I need to sub it in the other direction. Recipe calls for AP flour, I would like to try it with cake flour to see if it can make a cake softer. Why don't you like cake flour?

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 7:04pm
post #4 of 9

Not what you asked, but I have made that cake twice and both time had a major FAIL! It turned out inedible, rubbery, greasy. Just really nasty. The first time I thought I must have done something very wrong, so I tried again and it was just the same. I would be very interested to know how you find this recipe, and if it's just me that's the problem. (Am still seeking a reliable vanilla cake....)

Good luck!

Pebbles1727 Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 7:15pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Quote:

It turned out inedible, rubbery, greasy. Just really nasty.

That's not what it was for me. I made modifications to it as suggested by moxey2000 with extra 1/4 cup milk (buttermilk) and a box or pudding. To me it tasted very similar to WASC, texture was about the same as well. It was really sturdy and would be perfect for carving. I was just hoping to hear from those who use cake flour in it to see what they think about the difference it makes if any. It was not the best cake I've had, white on white is so far my favorite. However, I think that this one has potential if I can just figure out how to change crumb just a bit.
P

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 7:43pm
post #6 of 9

I think maybe you should add two tablespoons cake flour for each cup of ap called for. Or maybe weighing it would be best.

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 1:29am
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pebbles1727

Hi everyone,
this is a question to those who use vanilla butter cake from Mermaid bakery- has anyone tried to sub cake flour for ap flour it calls? Did it work? How exactly do you do that: volume for volume, weight for weight? Do I need to adjust any other ingredients?
Thanks in advance, P

Check the supermarkets in your area....do they carry White Lily brand flour? Unlike most other AP flours, the White Lily flour is made from SOFT winter wheat rather than hard winter wheat.....just like cake flour.....but MUCH cheaper....a 5 pound bag is about $2.50. And you use exactly the same amount as you would cake flour.

If you can't find White Lily....check the bags of other brands in your area and see if any are soft winter wheat.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 2:00am
post #8 of 9

Maybe I should just try a different kind of cake flour. Maybe I just hate the brand that I use. That's a good idea Jeff! Thanks for the White Lily tip!

cakesweetiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesweetiecake Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 2:03am
post #9 of 9

I havent tried the recipe, but this info may be helpful to you....

To substitute cake flour for all-purpose flour use 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons cake flour for every cup of all-purpose flour. Make your own - one cup sifted cake flour can be substituted with 3/4 cup (84 grams) sifted bleached all-purpose flour plus 2 tablespoons (15 grams) cornstarch.

Read more: http://www.joyofbaking.com/flour.html#ixzz0Nk2KsOTe

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%