I Don't Get It. What Am I Missing? Am I Old Fashioned?

Decorating By __Jamie__ Updated 8 Aug 2009 , 1:37am by 7yyrt

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 11:33pm
post #1 of 22

Never mind my avatar icon_twisted.gif but this just makes me shake my head.

Bride wants 100 fancy wrapped cupcakes........and sheet cake to feed 275. Huh? Whaaaa? Why? Really? And just who gets a fancy cupcake and who gets the dumpy chunk of plain ole cake?

Seriously. I give up. I almost don't care anymore. I'll do it. I'm getting a new car, this just adds to the down payment. icon_lol.gif

Of course, it will be KITCHEN cake though, I refuse to budge on that! icon_confused.gif But if there is no decorated cake, does the kitchen cake lose it's title, and become glorified sheet cake? icon_razz.gif

21 replies
__Jamie__ Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 11:36pm
post #2 of 22

And please don't think I am ungrateful for orders, trust me I'm not. I just cringe when I see people get fancy cake for some, and drastically different cake for others at the same function. I'm just cake and tradition sensitive I guess. ((sigh))

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 11:41pm
post #3 of 22

Is this for a Wedding?

It sounds like she's been reading some of those "how to cut your Wedding budget" articles. icon_rolleyes.gif

So did you quote her a price yet? Wondering what her response will be...

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 11:42pm
post #4 of 22

Well... Is there a drastically different price per serving?
I assume she'll use the cupcakes to have the picture taken with, (MOBs always insist on a cake picture) and the kitchen cakes are to make certain everyone can have some cake to eat.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 11:45pm
post #5 of 22

BFF gets cupcake

BF gets kitchen cake

F just gets to hear about it all after the fact.

(the above said in "valley speak" while holding a chihuahua in a pink dog carrier with an appropriate hair toss)

mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 11:49pm
post #6 of 22

Man people have lost their minds, a reception is supposed to be the new couples 'gift' to the people who come to their wedding.

How can you look someone in the eye when the whole time you know they didn't rate a nice cupcake just a hunk of kitchen cake. That is just rude.

So will there be a person stamping hands as they enter the reception...first 100 get the pretty dessert. ( shaking my head) thumbsdown.gif

mommachris

__Jamie__ Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 11:51pm
post #7 of 22

Ahhhh, the pictures. Ok, well that theory makes sense, sure sure, I get that. Yep, wedding, no quote yet. Doug---hilarious, love it!

And yeah, fancy cupcake liners will cost her more. I dunno, haven't looked at anything yet, I really just got the message about a half hour ago.

Had to come here and blabber about it first! icon_biggrin.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 12:15am
post #8 of 22

Mommachris, my thoughts exactly. It's a gift, a thank you Uncle Tom who I haven't even spoken to in 25 years but you cared enough to come AND bring me a gift!

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 12:36am
post #9 of 22

Anytime I have couples ask if a sheet cake makes things cheaper, I explain to them that my sheet cakes are priced the same because they look the same- 4 inches high, filling etc. They, of course, look a little confused. I then tell them that for those family members who enjoy drama, seeing some guests getting a fancy-schmancy piece of cake and others getting a hunk-a-sheet cake, this just becomes fuel to the fire. This usually draws a laugh and then we talk about the BIG cake their going to have instead. thumbs_up.gif

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 12:38am
post #10 of 22

It sounds like she wants the fancy cupcakes for her show cake..or cupcake tower or whatever and then figures the kitchen cakes will be for everyone to eat..and probably figures the kitchen cakes will be cheaper also...NOT!!! No deal for you!!!

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 12:40am
post #11 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

Never mind my avatar icon_twisted.gif but this just makes me shake my head.

Bride wants 100 fancy wrapped cupcakes........and sheet cake to feed 275. Huh? Whaaaa? Why? Really? And just who gets a fancy cupcake and who gets the dumpy chunk of plain ole cake?

Seriously. I give up. I almost don't care anymore. I'll do it. I'm getting a new car, this just adds to the down payment. icon_lol.gif

Of course, it will be KITCHEN cake though, I refuse to budge on that! icon_confused.gif But if there is no decorated cake, does the kitchen cake lose it's title, and become glorified sheet cake? icon_razz.gif

hey jamie...i am looking at your avatar icon_eek.gif and wondering what happened! icon_rolleyes.gif

is there sheet cake in your future??? icon_cool.gif

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 12:40am
post #12 of 22

Those darn cupcake wrappers start at a $1 to $1.25 each add $2 or $3 for actual cupcake and it might as well be an actual wedding cake...some people are just crazy.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 12:42am
post #13 of 22

Yeah those wrappers are nice but if my customer insists on them...she is paying for them!!!I'm not absorbing the cost.

__Jamie__ Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 12:46am
post #14 of 22

Oh heck no Diane!! Never! Lol!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 12:51am
post #15 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesdivine

Those darn cupcake wrappers start at a $1 to $1.25 each add $2 or $3 for actual cupcake and it might as well be an actual wedding cake...some people are just crazy.

And I cover that point exactly in my blog: http://cateritsimple.blogspot.com/search/label/cupcakes
thumbs_up.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 12:54am
post #16 of 22

Nice Indy!

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 12:59am
post #17 of 22

wow. Thats not very nice. I always thought the reception was the bride & groom's thank you to their guest as well. Some much for tradition.

diane Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 1:07am
post #18 of 22
Quote:

ah...but i think a sheet cake has slipped in!!! (lol) icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 1:12am
post #19 of 22

Nope. Kitchen cake, full 4" or more and filled. Hee hee!

diane Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 1:16am
post #20 of 22
Quote:

hmmm...seems to me like a sheet cake has slipped in! (lol) icon_cry.gificon_lol.gif

i love sheetcakes...i think they are the hardest cakes to decorate!
thumbs_up.gif

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 1:16am
post #21 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommachris

Man people have lost their minds, a reception is supposed to be the new couples 'gift' to the people who come to their wedding.

How can you look someone in the eye when the whole time you know they didn't rate a nice cupcake just a hunk of kitchen cake. That is just rude.

So will there be a person stamping hands as they enter the reception...first 100 get the pretty dessert. ( shaking my head) thumbsdown.gif

mommachris

I agree. I think it is tacky of the couple to give some guest one thing and others something else of lower quality. If the couple doesn't value certian guest...just don't invite them. I know it sounds harsh but its better than having a disruption at the reception because of people feeling jilted. I know my family would show out if I gave some people one thing and others something better.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 1:37am
post #22 of 22

Our wedding and reception wasn't a gift from us to those who came. It was a family reunion.

Some guests brought food, others in the family brought flowers, still others decorated the chapel. Music was a nephew and his band. Pictures were anyone with a camera.
It was beautiful.
No one would have cared a whit if someone else got a better piece of cake. It would seem very odd for that to be important at a celebration of family, which in our family is what a wedding is.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%