What Your Cake Should Not Look Like!

Decorating By notjustcakes Updated 8 Aug 2009 , 12:46pm by notjustcakes

notjustcakes Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 11:03pm
post #1 of 9

I'm posting a picture of a wedding cake I did for a friend...I need to know what I did wrong. No it's not a total disaster, but I've never had a cake misbehave so badly..Please be kind and all you pros give me advice.

What you need to know. All cakes were WASC based and filled with a combo of fruit/curd and stabilized heavy cream.I did do a dam with buttercream. I thought my layers were level. I spun my turntable around and arround to try to make sure. This is the first time I did square stacked cakes, so lesson learned on clean corners. All are doweled w/ wood dowels and center dowel down into foamcore. Will a millimeter difference in dowel height cause the cake to sag? I don't torte well and I know my layers were uneven, but does it make that much difference as long as the cake is even once iced. All constructive criticism accepted? Yes leahs...the SPS....I never had a prob before so I never bothered w/it.

8 replies
notjustcakes Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 11:10pm
post #2 of 9

BTW- this is NOT the cake that I did for husband's friends daughter, which I talked about in another post...Her cake was flawless...

-K8memphis Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 11:10pm
post #3 of 9

I think it's a very pretty cake.

What kind of boards are you using under the tiers?

Did you keep it nice & cold after filling?

notjustcakes Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 11:18pm
post #4 of 9

I used 1/4 inch foamboard covered in foil. I guess I should fess up...I did keep taking the dowels out of the cake thinking I had put them in crooked ( i got paranoid because I'd been reading too many posts about crooked dowels). Also, one of the torted layers cracked in half, and I figured, "hey, I'll just patch it up.." I guess that wouldn;t work because looking back that would cause shifting as the fillings came to room temp. Also, the B & B where I had to deliver insisted that they could not accept delivery in the AM when it is cooler outside. It was nearly 100 degrees outside but that cake went from fridge to counter for last minute decorating, then outside into the heat and then into airconditioned van. I swear the lady who was driving didn't know how to drive a stick shift because she was herky jerky all over the place when braking, turning, etc. I was in the back holding onto the cake for dear life! This picture was taken about 1 hour after delivered and repaired as best as could be...

-K8memphis Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 11:27pm
post #5 of 9

Ok--my cakes in the summer never go into the heat.

I use the corrugated moving boxes you can get at the storage places and at u-haul type places. They provide a very nice stable atmosphere for your cakes--very important in the heat and herky jerky drivers.

So mine go from the frige box to the safe and happy cardboard box--generally no worries even about cracked layers if the invisible glue of the chilled cake is intact and stays intact.

I will also use freezer packs wired into the corners of the box for truly perfect delivery conditions. I wrap them in a paper towel to collect condensation and place that in a sealed plastic bag, wire them into the corners of the box--it (the cake in the box) can sit in Memphis full noon sun for an hour & not budge the all butter swiss meringue icing.

I mean what if you get stuck in a traffic jam and the car starts over heating and you have to turn off the air?

Secure delivery thoughts for you.

-K8memphis Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 11:33pm
post #6 of 9

I woulda used a coupla of the quarter inch boards under those too. That's a lota of weight. I hot glue them together or just go for the thicker stuff.

Or if I have the cardbaord circles --I slide bamboo skewers into the corrugated channels and use two or three for each tier--glue them together criss cross--very secure.

notjustcakes Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 12:00am
post #7 of 9

The cake board on bottom is 1 inch foamboard. you don't think I should use 2 quarter inch foamboards (glued together) under each cake do you?

-K8memphis Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 12:16am
post #8 of 9

Yes exactly. It needs to be perfectly stable without any flex--Curd filled cakes are heavy--so that one board under the middle tier is holding the weight of both top tiers--I would use more boards for stability.

notjustcakes Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 12:46pm
post #9 of 9

If I use that much foamboard, then how high will my cake be. Filled they are over 4 inches high...If I add another 1/2 inch then won't the cake be to high? Hmm...

Quote by @%username% on %date%