How To Bake A Large Cake Without Collapsing

Decorating By manomi Updated 11 Aug 2009 , 5:03am by CakesHeaven

manomi Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 10:45pm
post #1 of 11

I am sure this question has been asked before but I cannot find the topic thru search thats why decided to ask it again. I have to bake a large cake (13*13 square; large by my standard) I want to make sure it does not collapse from the middle as I understand large cakes tend to do so. Can you please let me know how to prevent this.

Thanks in advance!

10 replies
diane Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 10:48pm
post #2 of 11

i'm not sure what you mean. do you not want it to collapse while baking or after you take it out of the pan?? icon_confused.gif

manomi Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 10:52pm
post #3 of 11

While baking...come to think of it,also after i take it out of the pan icon_smile.gif

diane Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 11:01pm
post #4 of 11

for baking...use a heat core. if you don't have one, you can use a flower nail.
usually cake recipes that are sturdy are good to work with. i recommend the wasc recipe on this site. i just made this recipe and it is not only delicious, but sturdy.

you can find it by clicking on the recipe tab and typing in wasc...white almond sour creme. thumbs_up.gif

leah_s Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 11:23pm
post #5 of 11

collapsing in the middle is usually a sign the cake was not baked all the way.

manomi Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 12:14am
post #6 of 11

Thanks..Yeah i am planning to use the amazing chocolate WASC recipe by cake pro.Btw, how do we use a cake nail?

tracey1970 Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 12:37am
post #7 of 11

When I do larger cakes, I use the bake even strip(s) around the pan and at least one flower nail. For a pan 12" or larger, I use between 2 and 3 flower nails. You use the metal flat-topped flower nails. Grease them as you do your pan. Then once pan and nails are greased, I lay my nails in the pan - upside down (flat side on the bottom of the pan and nail end sticking up) - and pour in the batter. The nails will shift around while pouring, but I just slide them (do not pull them out of the batter and stick back in - just SLIDE them through the batter) back to where I want them = evenly spaced near the middle of the pan. Bake cake. After cooling in the pan for 10 minutes, flip the cake onto a cooling rack and pull out the flower nails. There will be a small hole for each nail, but nothing a little buttercream won't hide.

manomi Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 2:06am
post #8 of 11

WOW! Thanks Tracy1970...That was very well explained!

tracey1970 Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 2:26am
post #9 of 11

No problem! Good luck. I've had much success doing this.

AfordRN Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 3:10am
post #10 of 11

I add a tsp of baking pwd to each cake mix in the choc and WASC recipes. Bake strips and flower nails work great!

CakesHeaven Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 5:03am
post #11 of 11

I just baked three sheet cakes this last week and didn't have any problems using the WASC recipe. I bake my cakes at 300 degrees F which I've found raises nicely and didn't sink any. They do take a little longer but worth the extra few minutes of waiting

Quote by @%username% on %date%