How To Bake A Large Cake Without Collapsing

Decorating By manomi Updated 11 Aug 2009 , 5:03am by CakesHeaven

manomi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manomi Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 10:45pm
post #1 of 11

Hi,
I am sure this question has been asked before but I cannot find the topic thru search thats why decided to ask it again. I have to bake a large cake (13*13 square; large by my standard) I want to make sure it does not collapse from the middle as I understand large cakes tend to do so. Can you please let me know how to prevent this.

Thanks in advance!

10 replies
diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 10:48pm
post #2 of 11

i'm not sure what you mean. do you not want it to collapse while baking or after you take it out of the pan?? icon_confused.gif

manomi Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 10:52pm
post #3 of 11

While baking...come to think of it,also after i take it out of the pan icon_smile.gif

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 11:01pm
post #4 of 11

for baking...use a heat core. if you don't have one, you can use a flower nail.
usually cake recipes that are sturdy are good to work with. i recommend the wasc recipe on this site. i just made this recipe and it is not only delicious, but sturdy.

you can find it by clicking on the recipe tab and typing in wasc...white almond sour creme. thumbs_up.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 11:23pm
post #5 of 11

collapsing in the middle is usually a sign the cake was not baked all the way.

manomi Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 12:14am
post #6 of 11

Thanks..Yeah i am planning to use the amazing chocolate WASC recipe by cake pro.Btw, how do we use a cake nail?

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 12:37am
post #7 of 11

When I do larger cakes, I use the bake even strip(s) around the pan and at least one flower nail. For a pan 12" or larger, I use between 2 and 3 flower nails. You use the metal flat-topped flower nails. Grease them as you do your pan. Then once pan and nails are greased, I lay my nails in the pan - upside down (flat side on the bottom of the pan and nail end sticking up) - and pour in the batter. The nails will shift around while pouring, but I just slide them (do not pull them out of the batter and stick back in - just SLIDE them through the batter) back to where I want them = evenly spaced near the middle of the pan. Bake cake. After cooling in the pan for 10 minutes, flip the cake onto a cooling rack and pull out the flower nails. There will be a small hole for each nail, but nothing a little buttercream won't hide.

manomi Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 2:06am
post #8 of 11

WOW! Thanks Tracy1970...That was very well explained!

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 2:26am
post #9 of 11

No problem! Good luck. I've had much success doing this.

AfordRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AfordRN Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 3:10am
post #10 of 11

I add a tsp of baking pwd to each cake mix in the choc and WASC recipes. Bake strips and flower nails work great!

CakesHeaven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesHeaven Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 5:03am
post #11 of 11

I just baked three sheet cakes this last week and didn't have any problems using the WASC recipe. I bake my cakes at 300 degrees F which I've found raises nicely and didn't sink any. They do take a little longer but worth the extra few minutes of waiting

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%