Ghidorah Cake For 3 Yr Old Need Input Please

Decorating By khrys Updated 8 Aug 2009 , 2:35am by khrys

khrys Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 9:22pm
post #1 of 8

Hi, I'm a CakeCentral newbie. I have made some shaped and sculpted cakes in the past for my children but am not a professional, much as I love it.

My son is turning 3 at the end of September and is asking for a Ghidorah cake. Ghidorah as in the three-headed, two tailed, two legged, gold plated dragon with gigantic wings from Godzilla. Yeah. That. icon_surprised.gif

So, I'm thinking of carving cake for the legs and body and tails. Using possibly modeling chocolate and gold lustre dust for the scales? (input please?) and I haven't a clue what to use to allow for the necks and heads.

Also, I'm very uncertain how to make this cake work from a support standpoint.

Any and all input is truly appreciated... even if that means "talk him into something else". icon_smile.gif

Thanks in advance!
LL
LL

7 replies
dutchy1971 Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 10:30pm
post #2 of 8

wow that is some challenge. Here's my 1st thought, how about a sheet cake carved into the shape a 2D effect? rather than 3D sculpted, fondant covered then painted with gold luster dust. You would be able to do the scales maybe by having small circles overlapping each other bottom to top before you paint.

HTH

diane Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 10:45pm
post #3 of 8

i'd use wire for the neck covered in either modeling chocolate or rice krispie treats. i saw something like this done on one of the cake shows and that's what they used. icon_wink.gif

khrys Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 12:01am
post #4 of 8

Hmmm.... wire and RKT...I hadn't considered that! Thanks, Diane... I'll have to ponder that one. I've been playing with modeling chocolate, but not with RKT, so I might have to practice that and see.

dutchy1971... I'm thinking of scales in modeling chocolate as I'm not a fondant fan and I've been having fun playing with it of late, but I really do prefer buttercream. I'll have to try piping some out like you said and see if I can get that right. I had thought about doing 2D, but I can't seem to get the perspective right and still get the three heads and two tails in. I just get it all goofy looking, but I always had a difficult time with perspective. Actually, I can figure how to do the three heads, it's getting the two tails in that's hard for me.

Any ideas on how to support a 3D critter like this? I'm worried about the legs holding the weight, especially if I do modeling chocolate scales.

emiyeric Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 12:23am
post #5 of 8

What I would probably do is make a small figurine (which can hold its own weight very easily, whether it's made of gumpaste or RKTs) and then mount it on a regular buttercream cake as a topper. HTH!

diane Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 12:23am
post #6 of 8
kansaswolf Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 12:34am
post #7 of 8

I'd go with emiyeric on this one... I'd make a small figurine on a larger cake... Maybe a whole destruction scene! Some running people, some burning buildings, you know... Sounds like some interesting cake making is coming your way!

khrys Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 2:35am
post #8 of 8

Hmmm.... that's something I hadn't even considered! Thanks emiyeric. I'll have to break out more of my modeling chocolate and some fondant and see how it goes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%