Defrosting Cakes

Decorating By HG0265 Updated 9 Aug 2009 , 10:27pm by tracey1970

HG0265 Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 8:38pm
post #1 of 6

Hi. I took my cake out of the feezer last night to fill and crumb coat this morning and it had lost its shape. It seemed to have bulged at the sides somehow and one end seems higher than the other at the top. I wrap them in cling film and foil and leave it in the packaging to defrost. The same thing has happened before. Does anyone know why this happens? This doesn't happen if I use the cake the day after baking. Normally I just have to take off the dome but by freezing the cakes, I seem to create much more problems.

5 replies
tracey1970 Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 12:47am
post #2 of 6

Sorry to hear of your troubles. I freeze every cake I make - in two layers of saran and two layers of foil. To thaw, I place the cake in the fridge the night before I want to decorate it. Then, prior to decorating the next morning, I place the cake on the counter for maybe 30-45 minutes. Then, I will uncover it for about 20 minutes on the counter to get out condensation before I crumb coat it. Are you thawing it in the fridge or on the counter? Maybe it's thawing too fast? How dense of a cake are you using?

HG0265 Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 5:05pm
post #3 of 6

Hi Tacey1970

Sorry for the delay in replying but been away for the weekend. When I take the cake out of the freezer, I just let it thaw on my counter over night covered, then start decorating it first thing in the morning. I normally make a Madeira Cake, which is thicker than the standard sponge cake. So am I going wrong in the way I thaw it and not letting the condensation out?

tracey1970 Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 6:21pm
post #4 of 6

That would be my guess?? If it thaws too quickly, the condensation comes out really fast, and if the cake is covered in wrap, it has nowhere to go. You could always try an overnight fridge thaw, followed by a sit on the counter (wrapped) the morning you want to decorate until the cake comes nearer to room temp, and then give it a bit of time unwrapped on the counter to let some condensation out. My cakes are usually still a bit cool when I start to decorate, and I like that because it's sturdier to do the levelling, filling (if I am filling it), etc. I hope that works for you.

BTW, I see you are in the UK. My hubby was born in Scotland, but moved here to Canada when he was 4. His parents were born and raised just outside of Glasgow. Small world!!

HG0265 Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 6:40pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you Tracey1970

I will try that next time. I can now see by the way I thaw my cakes, why they would lose shape.

I've been to Edinburgh for a weekend. Scotland is approx 1 hour flight away from where I live.

tracey1970 Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 10:27pm
post #6 of 6

We're on a plane for 7+ hours to get to Scotland from Toronto (and we are an hour and a half drive to the Toronto airport!) It's a major trip for us. We did go to Edinburgh once when we were over visiting. Saw the Tattoo.

Good luck with your cakes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%