Butter Icing Question.......

Decorating By trinh Updated 19 Jan 2007 , 7:38pm by missym

trinh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trinh Posted 16 Jan 2007 , 3:40am
post #1 of 5

I want to make the Buttercream Dream icing recipe but want to know if I have to let the 2 sticks of butter sit out awhile before I mix up the ingrediants? if so, how long....Or just throw the butter in cold right from the fridge. Help! I want to make it tomorrow and really want to do it right!

I will be using this to ice the cake and to decorate. How is this for decorating.....

Thanks!!

Kelly

4 replies
CheriN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CheriN Posted 16 Jan 2007 , 5:06am
post #2 of 5

Hi there! I am unfamiliar with Buttercream Dream Icing Recipe, but I do know that in order for butter to be properly mixed with the other ingredients it should be soft. If you use it when it is cold it will just get lumpy and will not be smooth. So, if you don't want chunks of butter in your icing then you should probably let it sit out... or stick it in the microwave just enough to soften it up, but not melt. I hope this helps. Good Luck!

Momof4luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof4luvscakes Posted 16 Jan 2007 , 5:17am
post #3 of 5

It has to be softened. I will sometimes stick it in the microwave for a FEW seconds just to soften it up. I made 10 lbs. of Buttercream Dream today. It is my favorite!

sinderella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sinderella Posted 19 Jan 2007 , 7:31pm
post #4 of 5

like momof4 said, soften in the microwave, but i do it on defrost setting, its doesnt melt it.

missym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missym Posted 19 Jan 2007 , 7:38pm
post #5 of 5

OK, so how is this icing for smoothing? And, where do I find the Buttercream Dream icing recipe. I have been making an icing from a recipe I found here where you use 1 stick of butter to 1 1/2 cups of crisco. I like this icing for taste, but can not seem to get it to crust over to use the viva towels on. Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%