How Do I Get My Cupcakes To Crown In The Middle?

Baking By Tracyj Updated 12 Aug 2009 , 10:12pm by Tracyj

Tracyj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tracyj Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 7:50pm
post #1 of 7

I use a doctored cake mix that has always been a no fail recipe. It works great with cakes becuase I don't have to level them. But I do want my cupcakes to crown. Any suggestions?

6 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 7:53pm
post #2 of 7

If you usually bake at 325, try baking your cupcakes at 350 instead. I always bake cakes at 325 but cupcakes seem to do better a bit hotter.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 11:02pm
post #3 of 7

ditto! i just did a batch of cupcakes and set the temp. on 350, and they came out with a crown. icon_wink.gif

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 11:48pm
post #4 of 7

I read in the cupcake forum that some start the cupcakes at 400 then reduce the heat to get a crown. You might check in that thread...

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 12:03am
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohsmomma

I read in the cupcake forum that some start the cupcakes at 400 then reduce the heat to get a crown. You might check in that thread...

That's exactly what I do. I preheat the oven at 400F. And then I stick the cupcakes in and immediately turn the heat down to 350. They dome beautifully!

Every once in a while, I try a recipe and sometimes it just doesn't dome right. So keep that in mind. Not all cake recipes can be cupcake recipes.

splash2splat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
splash2splat Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 12:21am
post #6 of 7

thans for the advice - even though I didn't ask the question!

Tracyj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tracyj Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 10:12pm
post #7 of 7

Thank yall so much!! I will be trying this tonight. I will let you know what I come up with.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%