Gumpaste

Decorating By Kelrak Updated 9 Aug 2009 , 5:08pm by ninatat

Kelrak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kelrak Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 7:46pm
post #1 of 12

I went to buy some gum paste at Wal Mart and noticed that the top 1/4 of the package seemed too hard, like it was dried out. It was Wilton. Does this seem normal? I'll have to look for another store that sells it.

11 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 8:29pm
post #2 of 12

no, it is not normal (i say that, but im in the uk, with different brands, maybe wilton is really that different, but i dont think so). id be taking ti back to the store for an exchange.
xx

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 8:33pm
post #3 of 12

when i started my class mine had the same thing, and the teacher said it's alway's like that, so i make my own

sugartforyou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugartforyou Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 8:39pm
post #4 of 12

Do you mind sharing what recipe you use to make your own? Thanks icon_wink.gif

Kelrak Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 6:54am
post #5 of 12

I'd like the recipe too! Thanks!

sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 9:35am
post #6 of 12

I'm quite new to gumpaste but I've used Edna's recipe on YouTube (tonedna1) and it's great. It makes a lot though so I halved the recipe (also my mixer is quite small).
HTH icon_smile.gif

sugartforyou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugartforyou Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 12:40pm
post #7 of 12

Thanks for sharing. I'll check in youtube... thumbs_up.gif

missymayflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missymayflower Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 1:24pm
post #8 of 12

If you don't want to totally make it yourself, you can get Wilton's gumpaste mix. You just add water to it. For me it's easier than trying to find Tylose powder.

Kelrak Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 10:17pm
post #9 of 12

I was just looking at Edna's tutorials. She is good.

Ladybug78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladybug78 Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 2:34am
post #10 of 12

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to paint gumpaste? I used wilton colors, but my piece was still tacky? The gumapste was dry.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 8:54am
post #11 of 12

to paint you can use straight colours, but they will take ages to dry. you can dilute down the colours with alcohol, like extracts or vodka, or mix lustre/ petal dusts with alcohol too. the alcohol dries fast and evaporates so there no alcohol left behind.
xx

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 5:08pm
post #12 of 12

on the back of the gum tex can it say's 1tablespoon wilton gum tex 4 cups con sugar, 1 heaping tablespoon wilton glucose, 4 tablespoons water, in large bowl conbine gum-tex with 3 cups of con sugar, make a well in the center and set aside conbine water and glucose in a glass measuring cup, heat in microwave on high for about 30 sec until mixture is clear, pour into well of sugar and gumtex until well blended mixture will be very soft. place mixture in plastic bag and seal tibgghtly let rest room temp 8 hours knead remaining sugar into gum paste when you are ready to use it will whiten you can add crisco to keep it soft and pliable

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%