Gaps Between Tiers

Decorating By lea74 Updated 7 Aug 2009 , 10:47pm by diane

lea74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lea74 Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 7:33pm
post #1 of 11

Hi, everybody
I made my first wedding cake for my niece's wedding. After assembling the cake I had gaps between tiers (see picture). I used dowel rods and cake boards. What did I do wrong and what should I do so it doesn't happen again? Thanks
LL
LL

10 replies
HG0265 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HG0265 Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 7:51pm
post #2 of 11

Hi. I think your dowels are slightly too long. They should be the same height or just below the cake. If it's not too late for your wedding cake, you could pipe or put a border around the bottom of the layers to cover the gap.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 8:05pm
post #3 of 11

I agree, your dowels looks so long or it may have buldged making the dowels pop out.

lea74 Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 8:29pm
post #4 of 11

Thank you both for your replies. I guess I should've cut the dowel rods slightly below the cake I did try to cut the rods same height as the cake below. I was soo disappointed how it turned out !

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 8:38pm
post #5 of 11

Hi, i read on some posts that you let the cake with filled layers stand for awhile, and some said they put something heavy on the cake, but it really looks nice. i think i might have made up some buttercream and filled it in. but then again i haven't made a wedding cake yet, but i'm taking in all the hints i can. i'm sure they loved the cake.

HG0265 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HG0265 Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 8:43pm
post #6 of 11

Hi Lea74

I'm surprised you feel disappointed with the cake. I think it's lovely. I couldn't do that.

lea74 Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 8:59pm
post #7 of 11

to HG0265
thank you, I guess I expect too much from myself and then the cakes rarely turn out how I want them to turn out. I still have so much to learn!

IcedTea4Me2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IcedTea4Me2 Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 9:07pm
post #8 of 11

My cakes never turn out like they look inside my head. Your cake is lovely. I'm sure it'll be a hit!

Lisa

sammie192 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sammie192 Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 9:11pm
post #9 of 11

lea74 your cake is very nice. we are very hard on our self. I to do that all the time . how did you do your yellow design?its very pretty. sammie icon_smile.gif

lea74 Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 9:59pm
post #10 of 11

sammie192
the yellow designs are hand painted lemon slices. Everything at the wedding was coordinated in lemon yellow color even the bride was supposed to have real lemon slices included in her bouquet, but at the end she didn't I don't know why I never asked.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 10:47pm
post #11 of 11

ditto! the dowels should have been cut slightly lower than the cake.

btw...that cake is gorgeous! icon_eek.gif are those real flowers?? icon_confused.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%