How Do You Make A Harelquin Pattern?

Decorating By still_learning Updated 8 Aug 2009 , 5:04am by all4cake

still_learning Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
still_learning Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 7:32pm
post #1 of 6

I need to make a harelquin pattern for an upcoming baby shower cake and I was wondering what people use to cut the diamonds and space them evenly. I went to my local bake shop and they didn't have any diamond shaped cutters at all and I think it would be a mess if I just cut them by hand. Do you just eyeball the placement? Thanks!

5 replies
sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 8:25pm
post #2 of 6

I use the Ateco nesting diamond cutters.

still_learning Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
still_learning Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 11:03pm
post #3 of 6

Thank you for your reply! Any advice on how keep the pattern straight? I just bought your fondant DVD - can't wait to watch it!!! Definitely before starting this cake icon_smile.gif My last cake was a fondant nightmare (my Threadcakes contest entry in my photos) The fondant (pettinice) tore every time I tried to pick it up to put on the cake. I don't know if it was too much color, too much kneading, too warm in the house, etc. Here's to hoping for better luck with the next one! Thanks, again!!!

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 2:45am
post #4 of 6

I just eyeball the pattern, because the cutters make sure they are all the same size. I just butt them side to side...

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 4:30am
post #5 of 6

In a pinch, you can also bend the wilton square cutters into diamonds icon_biggrin.gif

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 5:04am
post #6 of 6

Trying to "make do" with what was available locally, I bought a harlequin stencil. Rolled out my fondant on a well dusted vinyl mat. Dusted the surface then placed the stencil on top and another piece of vinyl on top of that. Applied moderate pressure while doing so, rolled over the stencil with the rolling pin. Removed top vinyl and stencil and cut the pieces out.

I used this same technique with gumpaste for butterflies. created a sheet of butterflies and printed it out on cardstock. Cut them out and continued with the process above. The whole thing sounds complicated but it went a lot faster than I had expected.

If you've got time and funds, I'd go with the cutters as mentioned by PPs. If not, this technique certainly works.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%