A Caged Cakester, Dying To Be Free

Decorating By caked4life Updated 7 Aug 2009 , 7:45pm by CakeMakar

caked4life Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 6:51pm
post #1 of 6

I have enjoyed every minute of my new found passion. But, I have to admit...I could possibly be classified as a BORING BAKER...I say this because I have only used one cake flavor (DH yellow cake mix..yes a box mix) and two filling (BC and white chocolate ganache) since I started my caking journey. I want to brighten my horizons...Explore a wilder side...Unlease my inner cake diva! Please help me! icon_cry.gif

5 replies
Doug Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 6:58pm
post #2 of 6

do the Julie & Julia version of CC???

"cake" your way through all the recipes in the recipes data base and the recipes forum?

many would start you here:

have fun!

Rylan Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 7:09pm
post #3 of 6

Hi Julie of CC!

There is this huge thread about gourmet flavors, check that out.

kilikina_24 Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 7:31pm
post #4 of 6

I think this is the one Rylan is talkng about:

**It's the best thread on CC icon_wink.gif

Here's the google doc that goes with it:

kilikina_24 Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 7:32pm
post #5 of 6
CakeMakar Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 7:45pm
post #6 of 6

One of my greatest inspirations to change flavors up and develop my own "signature" offerings, if you will, was to watch the cake shows on TV.

One of my first was one of the big decorators (the one that does all the flowers on the FN challenges - Roselle?) did an "Oreo" cake - a layer of chocolate cake, then ganache, then a white layer, then a middle layer of oreo & whipped cream, then the white, ganache, and chocolate layers repeated.

Many of the big named decorators that have been on the FN have given their recipes to the show. Try some of those! Duff gave his buttercream recipe, Norman Davis gave a lemon, Buddy Valastro gave a Red Velvet & Carrot, James Roselle gave a Vanilla Velvet/Chocolate, Michelle Bommarito gave a chocolate espresso, Jorg Amsler gave a Marscapone Chocolate, Courtney Clark a dark chocolate cake, Mary Maher gave a chocolate banana....the list goes on and on. Search for "Cake" and then on the left side restrict to only recipes from the "Food Network Challenge."

The new show on TLC, Ultimate Cake-Off, each of those contestants give a recipe under their bios as well.

If they've created a book, e.g. Colette Peters or Kerry Vincent, they have recipes in those as well. You can check out many of them from your local library and request some from other branches, too.

*I'm not saying they have better recipes just cause they're famous, but hopefully they'd give good & tried recipes they'd want tied to that fame. Plus it gives an extra bit of inspiration...I'm making <insert your hero here> cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%