Wilton Gum Paste Help

Decorating By Libberator3000 Updated 7 Aug 2009 , 8:25pm by Carolynlovescake

Libberator3000 Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 6:22pm
post #1 of 4

Hi all, I've been watching you tube videos, and many experts are using gumpaste or gumpaste mixed with fondant for bows/figures. (ie. toedna) I have only used fondant for these things, but thought I'd try the gumpaste on my last cake.

The Wilton gumpaste was really hard and crumbly when I got it out of the bag. I kneaded it, and put crisco on my hands, but it didn't seem to get better quickly, and in the end I just used straight fondant because I didn't feel like messing with it.

Any tips on this? Is it just the Wilton gumpaste? Do I need to add more crisco and just keep at it?

3 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 6:33pm
post #2 of 4

I use Nicholas Lodge's recipe and it is stored in the fridge. When you take it out to work with it at first, it's hard and crumbly. You knead in a bit of crisco and pretty soon it reaches a workable consistency. I would guess the Wilton probably needed a bit of crisco and kneading too.

Something that might be easier for you is to get some tylose (or gum-tex if that's all you can get) and knead it into your fondant. That will make it stronger and also help it dry faster.

Rylan Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 7:12pm
post #3 of 4

Always feel the gumpaste before you buy it. You probably got an old one.

Carolynlovescake Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 8:25pm
post #4 of 4

Always feel the bags and get the one with the most squish.

If you get a bag that has hardened don't throw it away! Use it to make gumpaste glue to use.

Quote by @%username% on %date%