Wilton Gum Paste Help

Decorating By Libberator3000 Updated 7 Aug 2009 , 8:25pm by Carolynlovescake

Libberator3000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Libberator3000 Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 6:22pm
post #1 of 4

Hi all, I've been watching you tube videos, and many experts are using gumpaste or gumpaste mixed with fondant for bows/figures. (ie. toedna) I have only used fondant for these things, but thought I'd try the gumpaste on my last cake.

The Wilton gumpaste was really hard and crumbly when I got it out of the bag. I kneaded it, and put crisco on my hands, but it didn't seem to get better quickly, and in the end I just used straight fondant because I didn't feel like messing with it.

Any tips on this? Is it just the Wilton gumpaste? Do I need to add more crisco and just keep at it?

3 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 6:33pm
post #2 of 4

I use Nicholas Lodge's recipe and it is stored in the fridge. When you take it out to work with it at first, it's hard and crumbly. You knead in a bit of crisco and pretty soon it reaches a workable consistency. I would guess the Wilton probably needed a bit of crisco and kneading too.

Something that might be easier for you is to get some tylose (or gum-tex if that's all you can get) and knead it into your fondant. That will make it stronger and also help it dry faster.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 7:12pm
post #3 of 4

Always feel the gumpaste before you buy it. You probably got an old one.

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 8:25pm
post #4 of 4

Always feel the bags and get the one with the most squish.

If you get a bag that has hardened don't throw it away! Use it to make gumpaste glue to use.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%