Edible Images On Fondant?

Decorating By lv14 Updated 8 Aug 2009 , 7:06pm by PhotoFrost

lv14 Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 5:37pm
post #1 of 10

I'm a complete newbie... but I was wondering can I put edible images on fondant? I have never worked w/ edible images before so that is why I'm asking...

9 replies
Mensch Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 5:42pm
post #2 of 10

I do it all the time!

lv14 Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 5:45pm
post #3 of 10

How do you do it? Need detailed instructions please icon_smile.gif. Thanks.

Mensch Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 5:53pm
post #4 of 10

I lay it on and smooth it out.

2SchnauzerLady Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 5:56pm
post #5 of 10

Mensch - do you dampen the fondant first? I've only done EI on buttercream before it crusted.

Bonavolonta Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 6:04pm
post #6 of 10

I paint a little water on my fondant before laying the image on. I'm not sure if you're supposed to - I just assumed I should. It's worked just fine so far. I've never tried doing it dry. Just make sure you do it last. One time i thought I could roll the fondant a bit thinner after I had applied the image. Not pretty! It cracked and tore.

lv14 Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 4:36pm
post #7 of 10

I have heard that you need to order/purchase the icing sheet right before the party; otherwise, the edible icing sheet will harden and won't work w/ you... can anyone send some input on that? Can you tell I've never worked w/ icing sheets before...?! lol.

I found a site that will sell me a Bakugan edible image... party's not scheduled til Aug. 22nd... so I'm trying to coordinate the best time to order it.

neelycharmed Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 4:54pm
post #8 of 10

Hi,
they will have the EI sent in a sealed bag so it won't dry out on you.
I order them all the time and keep a few in stock,
shouldn't be a problem at all.
and I usually brush the fondant with clear piping gel or a thin layer of buttercream to make it stick to the cake.
hope that helps.
Jodi

lv14 Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 5:17pm
post #9 of 10

thanks, Jodi!

PhotoFrost Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 7:06pm
post #10 of 10

EI will work on fondant nicely, there a few proven good methods for using it which vary from spraying a light mist of water to a thin layer of bc, painting a little tylose on, and a few others. I find the light mist of water to be the best method I have used personally. Printed or non printed icing sheets are normally shipped in sealed bags which as long as you keep them at room temperature preferrably out of the sunlight and flourescent light, (especially if it is a printed one, flourescent lights will alter the colors on a printed icing sheet if it sits there too long). Other than that they should be fine, never store them in the fridge or freezer as condensation will build on them after you remove them and cause the colors to bleed. Just remember to not place the EI on your product too far in advance. Usually I like to save it for the last possible moment with fondant as it will not completely "merge" with fondant like it does with BC. So dont risk putting it on 24-48 before its ready to be served. usually it will be fine if you do it within 12hrs. Hope this helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%