Ideas For Improving Cake Mix

Baking By montanamommy Updated 9 Aug 2009 , 4:03pm by bobwonderbuns

montanamommy Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 5:14pm
post #1 of 8

I have a chocolate & a vanilla duncan hines cake mix. I'm wondering if anyone has ideas on how I could doctor up the mix to make the cake a little denser or sturdier? I'm layering two sheet cakes.

Thanks for any advice!

Andrea

7 replies
Charmed Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 11:34pm
post #2 of 8

when I use box mix I add a box of instant pudding in it. there are some threads about doctoring box mixes, I bookmarked couple of them but can't find them now. you can just search for them in the forum search.

tracey1970 Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 12:40am
post #3 of 8

I do one of two things. I either use the White Almond Sour Cream cake recipe from this site (my family doesn't like almond flavouring so I use all vanilla, though) OR I change the cake mix ingredients as such: 4 eggs, one cup of milk, 1/3 cup butter (I do this in place of the instructions on the box, not in addition to them). I find that either of these makes a heavier cake.

4theloveofcake Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 3:33pm
post #4 of 8

WASC is awesome, but i also use all vanilla instead of almond =D yum yum

bobwonderbuns Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 3:58pm
post #5 of 8

If you want some help doctoring cake mixes, click on the link in my signature. That brings you to a thread with all the google docs from all the threads that have them and there are TONS of ideas on doctoring cake mixes there. Good luck! icon_biggrin.gif

jimandmollie Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 3:59pm
post #6 of 8

I always add a half box of instant pudding to the cake mix. It makes it much smoother, denser and tastier. There are lots of flavors like banana and pistachio that you can experiment with. My current favorite is a strawberry cake mix with a cheesecake pudding. Although the chocolate mix with the cheesecake pudding is great too.......Aw heck, who am I kidding? Every flavor is good with cheesecake pudding! icon_lol.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 4:00pm
post #7 of 8

Huh, Well for some reason the signatures aren't showing up in this thread... icon_confused.gif Oh well, here's the link: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=625803&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

bobwonderbuns Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 4:03pm
post #8 of 8

icon_redface.gif Now the signatures are showing! icon_redface.gificon_confused.gif Oh well, must be another glitch in the system. Oh well.

Also, if you look in the recipes section there's a cake extender recipe that's good, and also the durable cake recipes (one regular, one chocolate) which are great. Of course I doctor those too but still... icon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%