Mmf Fondant Disaster

Decorating By ambercscott87 Updated 8 Aug 2009 , 1:50am by ambercscott87

ambercscott87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ambercscott87 Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 4:39pm
post #1 of 11

So i'm a newbie... tried the MMF fondant last night... let it sit and this morning I got up and started kneading and trying to roll it out to cover my cake and I could barely get it a foot in diameter before it would crack like crazy. I tried like 5 times, after adding in some crisco to try to get it more moist... finally just threw it away. i'm so aggravated. I thought it'd be a cinch since I read on here that it's much easier to work with than the wilton fondant which is nasty. heh. any tips on what I did wrong? should I have not let it sit over night? the directions said to let it sit for a few hours to overnight... so i'm stumped and almost to the point of tears or punching something. icon_redface.gif

10 replies
BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 4:45pm
post #2 of 11

Oh Amber I am so sorry this happened. I have made it once and went back to store bought so I really dont have an answer for you. Did you try warming it just a bit in the mircowave? If you were just going to pitch it anyway see if that works. I know with Fonderific I have to do that. Also try working with it in smaller batches and kneading more shortening into it. Worth a shot?

TheBlonde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheBlonde Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 4:56pm
post #3 of 11

I agree with the previous post...just need to pop it in the microwave and knead it for a bit....works like a charm

nanikins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanikins Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 5:09pm
post #4 of 11

Also make sure that you rub it liberally in shortening before storing it. I wrap mine a couple of times in plastic wrap and then put it in a ziptop bag with all the air squeezed out.

A little zapola in the microwave does work wonders if it is a little stiff and cracky, too.

Don't give up on it. Once you get the hang of it, I think you'll actually like the stuff.

revel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
revel Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 5:15pm
post #5 of 11

Sounds like there is to much icing sugar in it. I always leave out one or two cups because when the fondant cools it stiffens. I'd rather add more sugar later than try to deal with it to stiff.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 5:20pm
post #6 of 11

Sometimes you have to tinker with the recipe a little bit to find what works best for you.

Oh and I learned this the hard way, don't put cheap extracts in it...last time I made some, I used Fiesta vanilla which has propelyene glycol instead of alcohol in it and it made tiny brown lumps in the fondant which didn't show up until the next day, and also made the fondant so soft it stretched and tore whenever I touched it. I made it work anyhow but I'll never add that stuff to fondant again.

ambercscott87 Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 1:16am
post #7 of 11

man, guess I should have checked with you guys before I threw it all out. =( oh well, at least it wasn't too expensive to make. i'll definately try that next time and see if it helps. Any other tips for MMF? Also, which recipes do you recommend for it?

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 1:30am
post #8 of 11

question...when you say you let it sit, are you saying you did not put it in an air tight container?? icon_confused.gif

ambercscott87 Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 1:34am
post #9 of 11

oh no, I did. I rubbed a little crisco over it and wrapped it up tight several layers with saran wrap and popped it in an air tight ziploc.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 1:45am
post #10 of 11

o.k...well that's not the problem! icon_lol.gif

one thing about mmf...if you make it with too much powdered sugar, the results will be cracks in your fondant.

i make mine with less than what the recipe calls for and add in powdered sugar as i need it. icon_wink.gif

ambercscott87 Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 1:50am
post #11 of 11

I have a feeling that is what happened. I used the exact amount of PS that was called for... will definately use less next time I try it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%