Do You Have To Be Legal To Donate?

Business By DefyGravity Updated 8 Aug 2009 , 3:46am by FairyPoppins

DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 3:06pm
post #1 of 5

The thread about Free Cakes For Kids got me thinking. I am planning on building my cake skills by decorating my way through an entire cake book. It's going to be a massive amount of cake that I'm going to have a hard time getting rid of. There is a woman and youth shelter in town I really want to donate the cake to. Am I able to do that even though its not from a legal kitchen?

I'm in Michigan, if it matters.

TIA ladies icon_smile.gif

4 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 3:10pm
post #2 of 5

You could probably ask the shelter. If they usually will take donations of homemade baked goods, then a cake should be no different.

Another good place to take a cake is the fire station icon_biggrin.gif They get the cake and you get the eye candy icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 3:14pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

You could probably ask the shelter. If they usually will take donations of homemade baked goods, then a cake should be no different.

Another good place to take a cake is the fire station icon_biggrin.gif They get the cake and you get the eye candy icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif That's a great idea!!! I miss living on base and seeing all the guys in uniform. I told my husband that living on base for me is like him living at the Playboy mansion!

Really though, great idea for the FD. I hadn't thought of that! My friend's dad is a detective, and I bet the police would like some too!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 3:18pm
post #4 of 5

The police might not eat donated cakes...just because everyone doesn't love cops the way they do firemen. So if you do donate one to them, I wouldn't just show up at the substation with it, give it to your friend to give to her dad to take to work.

FairyPoppins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FairyPoppins Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 3:46am
post #5 of 5

I'm in MI and I'm a volunteer for Free cakes for kids.

Since I'm wary of scammers I usually only bake for organisations. I have been donating cupcakes every month to a daycare center at a soup kitchen in Pontiac for about 6 months now. I also made 2 really nice cakes for another womens' shelter but they never thanked me and I haven't heard from them since.

I did get an email this week from a woman asking for a cake for her 5 year old daughter. She included photos of elaborate two tier fondant covered Strawberry Shortcake cakes and said it would need to feed at least 30 people!!

I told her I was booked but I emailed another volunteer baker and she had offered her an 8 inch round or 12 cupcakes and hadn't heard from her since!!

When I called her out on it I received a snotty email back telling me I need to open my eyes and realise there are people who do not want, but NEED a cake to make her daughter and her friends happy!!! icon_rolleyes.gif

I started doing it to help kids and improve my skills but there are too many scammers out there so I might give it up soon.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%