Gum Paste Help, Please

Decorating By Rita1969 Updated 7 Aug 2009 , 7:07pm by BJ

Rita1969 Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 2:36pm
post #1 of 9

Hi Everyone!

I'm just started to decorate cakes. So I do not know anything about it. The only thing that I enjoy it very very much.
My question is how can I make the gum paste figures look shinier?
I made some and maybe I used too much corn starch. The colors became faded and the corn starch stayed on.
I used Wilton ready to use gum paste and Wilton colors.
Please help me!
I would appreciate every suggestion!

8 replies
bashini Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 3:32pm
post #2 of 9

Hi there, First use a big brush to brush off the cornstarch and then you can rub a tiny bit of shortening on them. icon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 3:38pm
post #3 of 9

You can also paint them with gel color thinned with vodka, or use petal dust to give them some more color.

Rylan Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 6:11pm
post #4 of 9

Steam them.

Rita1969 Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 6:49pm
post #5 of 9

Thank you so much!

BJ Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 6:59pm
post #6 of 9

Questions on the "steam them" suggestion......
Wouldn't that evaporate and leave them dull again? Would the steam cause a problem with the hardened gumpaste and maybe make it a ltitle soft again and then harden again?

Rylan Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 7:03pm
post #7 of 9

Make sure you don't steam it too long. Just steam it to the point of it getting shiny. No, it will not evaporate leaving it dull.

If you watch Buddy Velastro, they steam their cakes making it look like patent leather.

Texas_Rose Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 7:04pm
post #8 of 9

Steaming will make them look wet and shiny. You can't touch them for a while afterwards until they dry, but the shine will remain even after they dry. It's easiest to steam flowers on wire...just boil a pan of water, then hold the flowers over the steam coming out of the pan and they'll get a dewy look.

BJ Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 7:07pm
post #9 of 9

Cool - I'm gonna have to give that a try - shiny always looks better than dull. This old dog learned a new trick today - woohoo! thumbs_up.gif
Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%