Smooth Frosting???

Decorating By caked4life Updated 7 Aug 2009 , 6:04pm by Rylan

caked4life Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 2:24pm
post #1 of 5

Get my BC smooth. When I ice my cake there are little pockets in the icing. They are still there after I have smoothed the cake. HELP, please!

4 replies
jobueno Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 3:10pm
post #2 of 5

Welcome to CC caked4life! I'm no expert on the subject but it could be your buttercremem has too much air in it (overwhipped). I guess the only thing to do is smooth it as best you can and hope for the best. maybe someone else on this forum may be a bigger help.

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 4:57pm
post #3 of 5

Hi and welcome. Smooth it the best you can then put it in the fridge or freezer till firm. Take an off set spatula and dip it in HOT water then wipe dry. Run that over the cake and it should smooth it. If you still have pockets to fill just skim coat it with more BC. You probably did whip it a bit to much. One thing I learned early on was not to use the whisk attachment but the flat beater on the mixer. You will find everyone on here has issues with smoothing and it takes alot of time and practice to be happy with your results. Some use a high density roller, some use parchment or printer paper and on and on. You have to find what works best for you. Keep your chin up. I hope this fixes the problem.

pianocat Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 5:07pm
post #4 of 5

Get Sugarshacks DVD. Worth every penny. Also Toneda has a youtube tutorial which is also great.

Rylan Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 6:04pm
post #5 of 5

It is also best to start with a great recipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%