Free Cakes For Kids

Lounge By MLand Updated 4 Mar 2010 , 4:17am by cs_confections

mackeymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mackeymom Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 6:13pm
post #121 of 716

I have been working with FKFK for a while now. I started slowly like most you becuase I didn't want to have to turn away anyone. I let my email be posted on the main website to see how much traffic that got. Then I started sending flier to one group at a time. One adoption center at a time. I only added them whe I eas ready to take on more cakes, and when the adoption agencies are familiar with the process.

I deliver my cakes to the adoption agencies, so I don't have to worry about going to an unsafe neighborhood. You will find that those who REALLY want to help will work with you!

And yes, you will get those who just want a free cake "Oh I need a cake to feed the 55 guests we are having over for a pool party"..... don't think so. BUT you get to decided who you make cakes for/ when you make them/ and how you want that cake delivered. I work for a doctor's office so I can't take time off during the day to drop cakes off all over the place, and my weekends are my time with my kids!

So it is a bit of "leg work" but you will find those agencies, charities, safe houses that you work with best. Don't get discouraged by the "no"s becuase the "Yes, please THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!"s are worth it.

If anyone has any questions or needs help please PM me or email me:

[email protected]

lexi55033 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lexi55033 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 6:13pm
post #122 of 716

I just started a chapter in Minnesota. Here is the website. www.freecakesforkidsmn.com . I literally just got it done and couple minutes ago. I went through Vista Print to make it. Now, all I have to do if find kids!

Angie

Brenda0217 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brenda0217 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 6:21pm
post #123 of 716

I got an email this morning about the age limit, I was told it was up to the Chapter to decide the age limit. Sounds like you are off to a good start already, I will have to get my daughter to help put my web site together for me.

mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 6:25pm
post #124 of 716

Angie, I hope you dont mind but I sent the link to my husband who is working on my website to give him some ideas. Your site is great.

Brenda0217 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 6:38pm
post #125 of 716

I love your site also angie, they recommended that site to get cards made up to hand out , they carry the logo for free cakes for kids. Or anything you might need printed up.

rblee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rblee Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 7:56pm
post #126 of 716

How do I find the FCFK logo on Vistaprint? I've look around the site and can't find it.

lexi55033 - nice website. It'll be my "Inspired by" site if I put one up.

mindy1204 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 8:11pm
post #127 of 716

For the vista print so a search for hands... it will come up I had a hard time finding it also.

cs_confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cs_confections Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 8:22pm
post #128 of 716

Great Site Lexi! I wish I knew Vista Print had sites before I went through Godaddy!!! Oopsicon_sad.gif I've received my approval letter, but am still waiting to hear back on becoming a Chapter Organizer and some answers to questions, as well. I'm sure they're probably busy and may even have day jobs, so I'm trying to be patient...just excited and ready to get started. It's great to see how many of you are jumping in for your areas, too! I'm working on one for San Antonio.

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 8:25pm
post #129 of 716

All, after posting I sent an email to Mischell. About an hour later I received an email back from her with the application. I filled it out..I left the part for my SS blank. I figured if they really need it they will let me know. I just got another email from another ladty letting me know she is forwarding my application to another lady...So hopfully I'll know something soon.

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 11:48pm
post #130 of 716

Do you think I should wait to find out if I can be the organizer before letting people know, or do you think I could go ahead and put the word out there?

Can you believe that I did several searches on craiglist and found nothing? I am curious as to how you determine who is truly needy....what kind of questions do you ask them to determine that? Can we have them fill out a form with basic info, for our own records and decision making (like a form on our website)?

cs_confections Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 12:07am
post #131 of 716

Good question sarberger. I've been wondering the same. I've decided to wait to begin the real work until I find if I'm approved to begin a chapter...but am preparing in the meantime. I already got the domain name, am working on the site, making fliers and cards, etc. I'm not passing out the info yet because:

1) I want to be approved first
2) If I find out some of my info is wrong or things need to be done a certain way, I can make changes on the site and fliers before they actually go out to anyone in the public.

I am mentioning it to close friends and family and getting support from those close by who know it's in the works.

I'm not saying this is the right way - just explaining how I'm approaching this waiticon_smile.gif Hope that helps!

saberger Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 12:09am
post #132 of 716

is there a way to get a free site or is that our donation as well?

edited to say: Or rather is there a way to get a free domain name? I see that many sites have it say: freecakesforkids and then the location.

Brenda0217 Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 12:10am
post #133 of 716

That is how I am doing it too, but I didn't make up my fliers yet, or any cards to hand out. just getting thing prepared, like telling neighbors and friends, and I have my stepmom and her friend to help bake if need be, to cover the area they live in. I am waiting also, because I want to start a chapter where I live. So I guess we all are doing about the same thing, waiting and preparing . LOL..

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 4:56am
post #134 of 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by saberger

is there a way to get a free site or is that our donation as well?

edited to say: Or rather is there a way to get a free domain name? I see that many sites have it say: freecakesforkids and then the location.

I pay $1.99 a year for my domain name

mindy1204 Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 10:50am
post #135 of 716

Carolyn where do you find the domain name for $1.99?

Brenda0217 Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 11:37am
post #136 of 716

Try vistaprint.com that is where you can get stuff made up with the logo on them and I think they have free web sites, that is the site I was told to go to, because they have the "helping hands" logo for free cakes for kids.

saberger Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 12:43pm
post #137 of 716

thanks for the info! icon_smile.gif

Carolynlovescake Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 4:02pm
post #138 of 716

I got it from Godaddy.

I have two other domain names and a server with them so I only needed the domain name and I was able to sweet talk them into the 1.99 price.

The bulk of my cost was server/storage space for uploading my site to them which was $50 initially.

You can get a free site via www.freewebs.com to start with if you want to start out small an inexpensive and see if your chapter takes off. If it does and you want to invest more you can then move to a paid site where you have to pay for the server cost as well as the url.

It's worth giving godaddy a call. They can tell you exactly what you need and what it will cost to start up a site.

Brenda0217 Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 4:14pm
post #139 of 716

Thanks Carolyn, will have to keep that one mind also.

mindy1204 Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 4:30pm
post #140 of 716

Here is my site... Hubby is still working and tweeking it but this is the start. We got this from Vista Print and I will pay $5 a month for it. I think it turned out well and has the hands they asked us to use. The only thing I do not like is he said we can only add 3 pages, I wanted a gallery and a guestbook section, so if anyone knows how we can add that please let me know.

http://freecakesforkidspinellas.vpweb.com

Brenda0217 Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 4:52pm
post #141 of 716

OMG!!! Mindy, I just checked it out, and it is done beautifully, covers everything that is needed I think you covered most everything. I hope I can do mine that nicely. Now you have me all excited in waiting for my information to start a chapter here where I live. Love that site of yours. Thank you for showing it.

mindy1204 Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 5:11pm
post #142 of 716

Thanks Brenda... We copied alot of that off of the other freecakesforkids sites...

Brenda0217 Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 5:13pm
post #143 of 716

You are welcome, still sounded and looks so professional. Now are you a Chapter? Did you get all your information now on what is what ? Or are you still waiting for information?

BakedbyLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakedbyLisa Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 5:20pm
post #144 of 716

Hello Everyone...a few weeks ago I applied to be a volunteer and was approved and now i'm not sure what to do. They listed that there are protocols that have to be followed but did not send any. I have a hundred questions and am trying to get in touch with someone to answer them. Does anyonen know if we have to report the cakes we make to FKFK? Is there any follow up from them?
I live in South Broward county (pembroke Pines) in Florida, is anyone that joined FKFK around here? Would love to chat.
Thanks for any input...it sounds like a great cause!

saberger Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 5:21pm
post #145 of 716

Mindy! That is AMAZING!!!!! I'd be willing to pay you so I could copy it! I esp. like your nominate a child page. Just what I was thinking about!

Still trying to find out about starting a chapter - tried calling the phone # all morning, but it has been busy.

kokopuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kokopuff Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 5:37pm
post #146 of 716

The last email I recieved said to keep all your reciepts from supplies you purchased and to keep a log of any gift cards,cake supplies donated etc. except for cash donations,you have to mail those in and they will turn around and send you a check from fkfk to purchase your supplies.Hope that makes sense,anyway I'm just gonna tell people if the want to donate that I can only accept gift cards and supplies so I won't have to worry about sending in the cash recieved.This was the only info.I recieved.I still feel like I need more.

cs_confections Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 5:38pm
post #147 of 716

I love your site, Mindy! It looks great with the logo, too.

I've started the layout of mine, but don't have the info set up yet. Like you, I'm looking through all of the other chapter's sites to see what will work best and what I need to make sure to include.

It's www.freecakesforkidssanantonio.com

I went through go daddy and did the deluxe website tonght package. It gives me 10 pages, a lot of space needed to post photos, email, and a blog. It was $99 for the site and the domain for a year.

Brenda0217 Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 5:46pm
post #148 of 716

CS_confections, your layout looks to me so far. can not wait to see it after you have it all done.

Carolynlovescake Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 8:21pm
post #149 of 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindy1204

Here is my site... Hubby is still working and tweeking it but this is the start. We got this from Vista Print and I will pay $5 a month for it. I think it turned out well and has the hands they asked us to use. The only thing I do not like is he said we can only add 3 pages, I wanted a gallery and a guestbook section, so if anyone knows how we can add that please let me know.

http://freecakesforkidspinellas.vpweb.com

There are free flash programs you can download and use for slide shows.

There's also free online guest books you can link to as well.

Google both options.

I love the flash slideshow one, I have it on my Student website for cake pics.

mindy1204 Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 10:51pm
post #150 of 716

Thanks guys...I just copied someones I think Angie who posted earlier here so kudos to her.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%