Free Cakes For Kids

Lounge By MLand Updated 4 Mar 2010 , 4:17am by cs_confections

mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 10:33pm
post #91 of 716

I havent yet asked for donations but I have had friends ask what they can do to help, these are non-bakers so I will suggest that they donate. When Mishelle sent me info she sent a receipt that can be printed so i will give them that for tax deduction purposes.

Brenda0217 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brenda0217 Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 11:06pm
post #92 of 716

I was under the impression, that these cakes we give came from the heart, because we wanted to do it for the families. And if they insist on giving us something for the cake, then we can tell them what they can donate. I didn't look at this as turning into some kind of a "business", I took this as just giving a small cake of some sort to a family that needed one, which came from our love of making cakes and because we wanted to do it, not expect anything in return. Or try to raise money to do it and keep it going. Or am I looking at this the wrong way?? I guess I didn't expect to put a price on something that came from the heart and wanting to do it with nothing in return but a smile and a thank you. Am I still looking at this the wrong way, or is it just me?? LOL...

mindy1204 Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 11:17pm
post #93 of 716

Brenda I am not asking anything from the childrens families in return for their cake. These are going to be a gift from me. I have had friends on my facebook who are suppportive of what I am doing that they have said just let them know if they can help. I may/may not ask them to donate but never the family of the children.

Brenda0217 Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 11:27pm
post #94 of 716

I understood where you were coming from Mindy, I guess I got confused with Kokopuff's entry, not yours. Did not mean any harm. Sorry ...

mindy1204 Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 11:32pm
post #95 of 716

No harm Brenda...

Brenda0217 Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 11:36pm
post #96 of 716

Thank you Mindy

mindy1204 Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 11:38pm
post #97 of 716

Brenda, isnt this a great thing to be part of. I am so excited. I cant wait to get my first order.

Brenda0217 Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 11:45pm
post #98 of 716

It is exciting, that is for sure, something as big as this, and if it was for one of the CCer's on here almost a month ago, I would have never heard about this organization. Can not wait till I get information in the mail, so I know more of how and what to do besides make a cake. LOL...as soon as I hear anything I will let you know, you will be one of the first ones I tell. LOL..I hope to hear something this week or sooner. Where do you live Mindy?

mindy1204 Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 11:53pm
post #99 of 716

Brenda, I live in St. Petersburg FL and will be doing cakes for Pinellas county. I have recv'd alot of infor from Mishelle, she has been very helpful. I created an email address and my husband is going to work on a website. If you dont hear anything email Mishell as I said she has been very helpful.

Brenda0217 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 12:01am
post #100 of 716

I have a cousin that lives in Daytona Beach FL. , I will wait a few days, then take your advice and give Mishell a try. Thank you.

mindy1204 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 12:03am
post #101 of 716

Ok good luck!! Daytona Beach is on the other coast from us..

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 12:04am
post #102 of 716

I joined up in Kentucky. I haven't had anyone ask yet, but I am just now getting the word out. I too will be very cautious about how I advertise and who I accept. There are quite a few ppl that would love to have everything for free.

Brenda0217 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 12:14am
post #103 of 716

Are you starting a chapter in your area Malakin? or are you going through a chapter in your area? How are you getting the word out? flyers? word of mouth? calling agencies up? I was just wondering, I made a list of who I would like to contac as soon as I get more information on how to go about doing all this. I would like to start a chapter in my area.

Merry1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Merry1227 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 12:35am
post #104 of 716

OK so I think I read all the post but I still have a few question.
How do you find the websites of Volunteers? I went to the main site and all I saw were emails, was I in the right place?
About how many cakes do you make a month?
Can they request the type of cake they want? As in design.
Do you limit the size of the cake?

Thanks
Merry

mindy1204 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 12:59am
post #105 of 716

Ok good luck!! Daytona Beach is on the other coast from us..

Brenda0217 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 1:01am
post #106 of 716

If you go to the main site, they have volunteer sections to click on, and then you can look to see if there any in your state, and click on one of them to get started. I know when I clicked on them they were to send and email to them, or just contact them directly. They have their phone numbers and emails listed. I think is is just a small cake, nothing really big and fancy. I guess they can tell you what the child likes are and you can tell them whether or not you can make that design. I wouldn't go like three tiers or anything like that. Just something nice and small. Find out through the parent or whoever is in charge of the child and see what they like, like elmo or something along those lines , like with the flavors they like too , I am just guessing here from all that I read. But contac the directors from the main site. and see what happens.

mindy1204 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 1:07am
post #107 of 716

If you good free cakes for kids south sound or tallahassee I believe they both have websites and you can see that the cakes look like. They are one tier and look like kids themes.

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 1:07am
post #108 of 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry1227

OK so I think I read all the post but I still have a few question.
How do you find the websites of Volunteers? I went to the main site and all I saw were emails, was I in the right place?
About how many cakes do you make a month?
Can they request the type of cake they want? As in design.
Do you limit the size of the cake?

Thanks
Merry

I just got accepted as a volunteer today (applied Thursday night) and still have the same questions. I will try to be patient for more info, but how do you choose who it goes to? Anybody could say that they are in need of a cake and lie about it, can't they? I have lots of people to spread the word through and all of that, but are there guidelines about having to set up a website and 'manage' the orders or who you can contact or how you choose who receives this special gift?

Plus I just wrote them saying that I wanted to organize the chapter here. I would love to have more info on the running of it and decision making.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Brenda0217 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 1:13am
post #109 of 716

Those were my exact questions also, and I am still waiting for information too. I guess when we contac like orgainzations, shelters, churches etc etc. they should be pretty relaible resources. but if we put up a little sign or notice of some sorts, then I guess we are on our own to figure it out, and that is where we should take our chances and meet them somewhere to talk over what kind of cake for the child etc etc. . I am still wondering what age do we go up to with these kids?? Any ideas, on one site someone had up she had 18 yrs. That just seems pretty old to me. Unless we are allowed to determine the age we go up to when it comes to the children.

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 12:30pm
post #110 of 716

I just got my first email concerning a cake for November. It struck me as really odd though- I've not mentioned joining this group to anyone I know in real life (I've just been so insanely busy!) and apparently this woman was given my email address by someone on Craigslist! After the email I had mentioned joining to my bf and it was the first time I had mentioned it to him.

I wrote her back and included a link to the website so she can get more information.

At any rate it will be exciting to have a cake on schedule!~

What kind of record keeping do you all do? Clearly I'll save the emails, but I was also thinking of keeping a notebook or folder with all the details.

Brenda0217 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 12:35pm
post #111 of 716

I am not sure about all that, but I had the same idea of keeping my own folder and printing out any emails I get . I am still waiting to receive more information, because I want to start a chapter in my area. I haven't really put anything out there yet till I know more of how to do all this. I have told friends and family about doing this, and I have my stepmom and her friend to help make cakes, but I still think it would be a good idea to keep some kind of folder , even if it just for yourself to keep organized incase you get real busy or something. and if not too busy, at least to look back on and see all the families you helped.

mindy1204 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 1:41pm
post #112 of 716

I do know based on the email from Mishell that you have to report montly totals, cakes made and donations. I am going to keep a spread sheet with this information so it can be emailed to them monthly.

kokopuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kokopuff Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 4:30pm
post #113 of 716

Sorry if I confused evryone! What I was trying to say that is if you get more cake orders than you can afford on your own(out of your pocket
there are places that donate to worthy causes,the grocery store where I work does it everyday for several causes,I know because I process these donations myself,I'm the office mgr.They only ask for a flier explaining the purpose of the donation.I'm sorry I offended everybody by saying I had asked,only if needed and was overwhelmed with more orders and expense than I can handle.I don't want to have to turn down a needy child because I have to many bills that week and can't buy a frikin cke mix!I am going to do this on my own before asking and see how it goes but I have 4 kids and may need a little help and they are more than willing if need be!Who know's we are a growing chain that keeps expanding (the grocery store)I may be able to get the whole company to help these kids,the are well known for helping the community.If this doesn't make sense this time I don't know how else to explain it so i guess I won't! ps I was not talking about asking the %%%% parents of these kids for donations!!!!!!were did you get that??????

mindy1204 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 4:52pm
post #114 of 716

KOKO... I understand what you are saying and I agree with you. I would rather ask someone for donations than turn someone down. If you have a connection use it, network as much as you can. I know if the time ever comes that i cant afford what I need to make a cake for a child I will ask someone for help.

Brenda0217 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 5:03pm
post #115 of 716

It is explained much better now KOKOPUFF, I must have read your other entry a few times and still didn't seem right to me, but now that you explained it this way, makes much more sense to me. Did not mean anything by it or to upset you in no way. That would be wonderful to have a chain expanding all over the states and country, wouldn't that be a nice way to help these families out using the stores like that, wonderful idea.

kokopuff Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 5:27pm
post #116 of 716

Yes,it did upset me because it seemed like everyone thought I was going to ask these families for donations for their cake NO WAY NO HOW!If they could donate they wouldn't need the cake in the first place.I'm just to soft hearted to turn these kids away,so I will probably fill most all the request I get at my own expense or with a little help from my work place.They are willing to help if it comes to that.I haven't requested a donation,only made them aware of the program,that if in the future htis is a big thing I may need a few donations.I didn't see any harm in it. icon_smile.gif

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 5:35pm
post #117 of 716

Well, I am looking forward to getting notified if I can be the organizer for my area. I was thinking about this last night and realized that only the organizers would probably be required to have a website. But it would be important to know about how to go about deducting things and not getting into trouble with the HD. I thought we can't take donations for our cakes.....or does that just mean you can't take it from the actual cake recipient?

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 5:38pm
post #118 of 716

I was just at the F K F K website and this sounds like a wonderful idea! Thanks to every one who is already involved with the program for posting information. There is a lady that I wk with who volunteers at the women's shelter. I sent her an email asking if they would be interested in taking a donated cake for some of the children there.

I am in Austin...Is there any one else in Austin that is interested? If so please PM me.

kokopuff Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 5:40pm
post #119 of 716

No one knows,we haven't recieved enough info. yet.Most of us are just getting started.Hopefully we'll find out soon!

mindy1204 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 6:09pm
post #120 of 716

My husband is making me a website based on one already up for Tallahassee. I have emailed a few people and waiting to start. Mishell sent me copies of the flyers, receipts and the newsletter. I will take it from there. I changed the flyer to make it for the local chapter. This is sent as an attachement. I am using my personal cell phone as the contact #. I will ask for donations if needed but just spreading the work for such a great cause I already have people lined up to help.

I dont think there is an age limit (not that I have been told) and will gladly make cakes for teenagers if it makes their day brighter.

I plan on contacting the homeless shelters, pregnacy center, abuse shelter to start with and see how it goes from there.

I am new to all of this but this is how I plan to start...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%