I'm On A Budget But Could You..............

Decorating By dahir Updated 14 Aug 2009 , 9:01pm by cfao

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 8:04pm
post #61 of 65

Thank you, Maureen. Some days I'm a little denser than others.

misserica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misserica Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 8:27pm
post #62 of 65

Oh boy...I have to tell you all what happened to me at work (I work in a grocery store bakery decorating part time). The other day I get a call from the customer service desk asking if we can accept payment for cake with food stamps. Here in NJ you can as long as the UPC rings up "cake" not "custom designed piece of art". Minutes later the women who was asking at customer service comes to inquire about a cake. I go over sizes, servings etc. Instead of buying one of the cakes directly out of the case and have me write a message on it she decides on a 1/4 sheet with filling (which the bakery charge more for) and an airbrush design with a character pack (an additional cost of $icon_cool.gif....

Why, oh why, could you not buy the $13.99 1/4 sheet out of the case instead of the now $34 character cake? Paying with food stamps no less? I do not get it...or better yet, go down the baking isle of our store where Duncan Hines is on sale this week for $1 and make it yourself? If you are on a strict budget, which I would assume since said party is using food stamps, where is the logic? Does this expense not take away from the rest of the money given to the recipient for groceries for the week or month?

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 8:53pm
post #63 of 65

Not going there with the food stamps, cause that has been discussed rather intently. I LOVE the article & will be printing it for those that ask why. Thank you!

OhMyGanache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGanache Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 8:53pm
post #64 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by lecrn

Just wondering if anyone has an written explanation to give to customers explaining why "custom" cakes cost so much?
I'm seriously thinking about doing that!
The photographer that's taken my son's 3 & 6 mon photos has a link on her website that has an explanation of why she's more expensive than Sears or JC Penny.

BTW "air sandwiches"!!!!! LOL!!!!!

Under the FAQ section of my website it says:

Can I get a discount?

Sorry, no. Our prices are set, and we do not haggle or discount. Not only are you getting an exceptional quality cake made by a professionally trained pastry chef, but you are also getting a unique piece of edible art.
While we dont discount, we do reward loyalty and referrals.

cfao Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cfao Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 9:01pm
post #65 of 65

I had 2 just in the last couple of weeks. One getting married at his mother's house - to save $$$ - expecting 50 guests. 2nd wedding for him, 3rd for her, more on that later. They decide they need a 3 tier cake over a fountain for 75 guests. Check bounces. I get in touch with them and tell them why don't we do a cake for the 50 guests, nix the fountain and get told oh no, we want to impress our guests. Reason they say check bounced - this you're going to love. Her ex-husband was supposed to put $ in her account when her divorce became final last week, only a couple of days before the wedding. Can we pay you after the wedding when the payment from ex is recieved? NO, don't know where they got their cake for this past Saturday & I don't care. This week is get a couple having 180 guests, can we do a cake on display for 30 and servers in the back. Sure - this is what size the cake for 30 will be. She says it looks so small, she wants a 3-4 tier because they don't want to look cheap, how much extra to add dummy cakes? I sent them on their way.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%