I'm On A Budget But Could You..............

Decorating By dahir Updated 14 Aug 2009 , 9:01pm by cfao

dahir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dahir Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 10:47am
post #1 of 65

Sell me that Mercede's Benz for the price of a Kia Rio?
Honestly I don't understand why people think cake prices are so flexible.
Just had to say it.
Tracy

64 replies
Jen80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jen80 Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 11:02am
post #2 of 65

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

marknelliesmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marknelliesmum Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 11:15am
post #3 of 65

well come on it is only sugar, eggs, butter and flour after all -and that doesn't cost much so why not?
icon_evil.giftapedshut.gificon_evil.gificon_evil.giftapedshut.gificon_evil.giftapedshut.gif You gotta love these people! (If not you would stick their head in your KA icon_lol.gif )

dahir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dahir Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 11:29am
post #4 of 65

Now there'a a picture (head in KA). icon_lol.gif Guess what...I have one kid in College that started last year, My twins are going to the same College this year (couple of weeks left) So now I have three kids at the same college, asked for a discount, Guess what.....Answer was NO. Had to try though. Looks like 3 jobs for me now.
Tracy

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 7:44pm
post #5 of 65

I would love it if you can sell me that Mercedes Benz for the price of a Rio.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 10:22pm
post #6 of 65

well, if you think about it. the average person buys their cake from a grocery store, or makes it. so, when you quote them a price, which is way more than a grocery store, they can't understand why. sometimes you just have to tell people what goes into your cakes...fresh ingredients, attention to detail, etc.

if they're willing to have a fresh cake made by someone who puts their all into to it, then those are the people who can understand why you charge the prices you do. icon_wink.gif

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 4:02pm
post #7 of 65

Maybe it's just me but this struck me as almost contradictory

Can you give me an idea of what your cakes run, per slice? We are working on a budget with the current economy and I expect her wedding guest list will be around 300.

I dunno what irritated me more...this statement or the fact that she sent me this inquiry AFTER she'd visited my site where my prices are POSTED!

I tried to be helpful...you know...allow the visitors the opportunity to figure what they could afford....(kinda like countin' up your shtuff in your shopping cart before heading to the register, or reading car breakdowns on the windows at the dealership before seeing a salesperson...but noooooooo this one looked...and came to me to figure it for her anyway! I'm so sorry...I had to get it out!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 4:19pm
post #8 of 65

They are programmed to say "I'm on a budget". Seriously. And really, who isn't? That's why you can suggest "this design", and if they can't afford it, then they can have "this design". If they can't do that, Walmart's got a nice book they can flip through. Nuttin' wrong with that. icon_smile.gif

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 4:28pm
post #9 of 65

Yeah..I have a regular customer..Honestly she is a PIA and everytime she emails me it's...."What can you do for me for $20.00".. icon_mad.gificon_evil.gif I get so P$#*%# off I could tell her to "Get Lost" but in more harsher terms icon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif

I just cringe when she wants a cake...

LOL thumbs_up.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 4:28pm
post #10 of 65

$20? That would be a full sheet of....nothing! Lol!

Juliequeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juliequeen Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 4:29pm
post #11 of 65

Lets face it folks, WERE ALL ON A BUDGET!!!! That does not in any way mean that I plan to, stand in my kitchen putting the lives of my family and me on hold for the better part of a week to make your stinking cake and wind up in the hole because you just cant afford enough cake to feed all the people who youve invited HELLOOOOO dont be greedy by inviting so many people looking to get gifts. Youll have to pardon me; I had a run in with one of these types yesterday. Decided not to order from me after they received a sketch when they knew all along the price Id quoted. Looking on the bright side I learned a lot and will now charge for sketches as well.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 4:30pm
post #12 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by marknelliesmum

well come on it is only sugar, eggs, butter and flour after all -and that doesn't cost much so why not?
icon_evil.giftapedshut.gificon_evil.gificon_evil.giftapedshut.gificon_evil.giftapedshut.gif You gotta love these people! (If not you would stick their head in your KA icon_lol.gif )

You know what I don't understand -- why don't brides make their own dresses? After all it's just material and thread, how come wedding gowns cost so much??? icon_confused.gif Or the flowers, I mean come on you can have silk flowers for 1/10 the price and they last FOREVER!! icon_twisted.gificon_lol.gif

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 4:33pm
post #13 of 65

Yeah Jamie...If I could electronically send my fist through the computer and crack her on the head...That would be a good weapon!!!

__Jamie__ Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 4:34pm
post #14 of 65

Ha! Yep!

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 5:09pm
post #15 of 65

These are the same people who pay top dollar for drinks in bars. You can buy a bottle of wine or a six-pack of beer at the store for less than one glass in a bar or restaurant. But they keep drinking. What about the budget?

If you're on a budget, don't invite 300 people to your wedding.

They're probably also paying for, and not complaining about:
Expensive manicures. "Gourmet" Coffee. All the newest electronic devices.

susanscakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakecreations Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 5:19pm
post #16 of 65

And these are the same people who when they go out to eat, never think twice about paying $5 or $6 a slice for a piece of cake, or pie or whatever for dessert!!!!!! Then they look at you like you've got 3 heads when you quote a price for a cake!!!!!!!!!! icon_mad.gif

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 6:10pm
post #17 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartin40

And these are the same people who when they go out to eat, never think twice about paying $5 or $6 a slice for a piece of cake, or pie or whatever for dessert!!!!!! Then they look at you like you've got 3 heads when you quote a price for a cake!!!!!!!!!! icon_mad.gif

I agree that people don't get how much cakes are really worth. However, I've always had a problem understanding the direct comparison between a slice of cake at a restaurant and a slice of cake at a wedding, when there are differences in what you are paying for. If the restaurant cost includes your server, the dishes and silverware and dishwashing involved and everything that is involved in you sitting at their table long enough to eat it and the wedding cake does not, it isn't an apples to apples comparison, is it? Often times, for a wedding cake, those things must be paid for in addition to the cost of the actual cake.

The biggest problem I would have if someone used that spiel on me is that one, I almost never eat dessert out (too fattening and too costly) and two, if I did, it would be a splurge for my single serving and not something I could afford for all my friends and relatives. icon_smile.gif

Besides, in some ways, that comparison sells the cake decorator short, as a good chunk of the cost of their slice of cake is for the design and decorating, which is not the case at a typical restaurant. A wedding cake is not only food, but also decor.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 6:14pm
post #18 of 65

Walmart's got a nice book they can flip through. Nuttin' wrong with that. icon_smile.gif[/quote]

icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif i couldn't stop laughing!!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

now that's funny! icon_cry.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 6:19pm
post #19 of 65

Don't EVEN play the poverty card with me if you're planning a freakin' party for 300 people! icon_mad.gif

When someone tells me "We're on a budget..." I interrupt them and say, "Oh darlin' that makes you just like every other bride that walks in here! You'll find this hard to believe, but I've NEVER had a bride come in and tell me, 'Sky's the limit! Price is no object!' I'm still waiting on her ..... but she hasn't shown up yet!" icon_biggrin.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 6:25pm
post #20 of 65

300?? I missed that part in the post. Yeah, puhleeze. I had one a few months ago that was almost mad at me because I wouldn't entertain, even offer alternatives for cake for 300 for $300. Oh, and her "must have" designs were wrapped with chocolate (NOT choco fondant mind you) and had gold detailing. Yeah. Get some some Hershey bars and break them up and stick them on the side of the cake. Have a good one!

aundron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundron Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 6:39pm
post #21 of 65

I'm loving this thread!! icon_biggrin.gif

I had a lady call me the other day about a cake for 12 people; and she says, "I'm on a budget, so, I need to see some cakes and their prices!!" Mind you, she wanted a Ni Hao Kai Lan cake, with all the fondant, etc. I quoted her 60.00; I haven't heard from her since.

1. If you're on a budget, WHY are you calling a custom cake decorator?
2. When I was on a budget for birthdays, I didn't go to the bakery I would normally go to, I would go to Sam's!!

When she mentioned she was on the budget; I had to bite my tongue because I wanted to tell her "well, I suggest you go the grocery store so you can get a 15.00 cake!!!"

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 6:45pm
post #22 of 65

Yeah, I'm gonna have to find that pleasant voice, you know the one, where it doesn't sound insulting. If someone says I'm on a budget and says 300 guest its gonna take a lot of sarcasm control to not respond with "If you have 300 guest, you can't possibly be on a budget"! Heck, in a way I guess they are insulting me.

KSMill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KSMill Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 7:43pm
post #23 of 65

I love these responses!

cutthecake Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 8:02pm
post #24 of 65

"Mind you, she wanted a Ni Hao Kai Lan cake"

Plese tell me what this is. Thanks.

cutthecake Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 8:05pm
post #25 of 65

Cake for 300 for $300? Let's see...for $300 you can have 300 Twinkies, Yodels, Ho-Ho's, Ring Dings, Sno-Balls or Devil Dogs. And the bridesmaids can have a pre-wedding party to unwrap them and arrange on a lovely platter.

snshin1993 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snshin1993 Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 8:06pm
post #27 of 65

a character on a children's tv show

cutthecake Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 8:08pm
post #28 of 65

Thanks, Jamie and snshin.
Guess I'm really out of the loop. My "baby" is leaving for college soon. He was a Power Ranger/Pokemon fan. We don't watch much Nick-TV around here any more.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 8:13pm
post #29 of 65

Lol. : lol: My oldest "baby" is leaving for college in 2 weeks and she thought she was the Pink Power Ranger when she was little. I do know who Ni Hao Ki Lan is though cause of the little babies (3,2,9 months).

sugarsugargal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarsugargal Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 8:36pm
post #30 of 65

lovin the comments on this thread, glad its not just me that gets these lunatic enquiries icon_smile.gif keep smiling peoples xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%